New live album coming...

Started by johnnYYac, Jun 10, 2016, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkwedge

Quote from: sillyboob on Jan 17, 2018, 03:30 PM
Quote from: gardenparty on Jan 17, 2018, 02:29 PM
On KCRW this morning, Jim just confirmed the live album is finished .  No more details

also he plans on releasing another solo album this summer.  hmm

This live album has been in talks for ages it seems.  Now that Jim says it's done, what's the holdup on releasing it??  If they're waiting to release it to promote some live shows, that doesn't bode well, with the only live shows coming up being One Big Holiday, which was five rooms from a sellout as of yesterday.

What gives??
My hope is that now that the Waterfall tour seems to be officially over we'll start to hear of these new things coming out. We're all starved for them that's for sure. I'm really wanting the Broomfield shows to come out as downloads too. So much stuff we need MMJ
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

ericm

Quote from: rkwedge on Jan 17, 2018, 03:44 PM
On KCRW this morning, Jim just confirmed the live album is finished .  No more details

This live album has been in talks for ages it seems.  Now that Jim says it's done, what's the holdup on releasing it??  If they're waiting to release it to promote some live shows, that doesn't bode well, with the only live shows coming up being One Big Holiday, which was five rooms from a sellout as of yesterday.

What gives??
My hope is that now that the Waterfall tour seems to be officially over we'll start to hear of these new things coming out. We're all starved for them that's for sure. I'm really wanting the Broomfield shows to come out as downloads too. So much stuff we need MMJ

He also mentioned the 2nd part of the Waterfall we've heard about for a while now is finished. Sounds like we'll have the new live one, and that to get us through the year. In addition to any solo stuff
"Where's Jim going?"

Murph

Love the idea of a live album coming out this year, love the idea of another Jim solo album coming out this year, I still cant get behind the idea that the next MMJ record will be stuff left over from the Waterfall sessions.  I'd rather they scrap all that stuff for a later time (throw it in the vault, if you will), go back in and start fresh and see what they can come up with.  I wouldnt even care if that took until 2020. 

End of the day though, I'll gladly listen to whatever they put out.

sillyboob

Quote from: gardenparty on Jan 17, 2018, 03:41 PM

What gives??

What gives??
I'm guessing it will be announced after OBH. 
Gotta stretch the limited activity across the entire year if there is no touring and potentially no new studio album.
Maybe live album out this spring and a new album announced late fall?

Here's a question about OBH - the past three OBHs were made available as downloads (and were included with the admission price for all attendees) pretty quickly after the shows.  I haven't seen anything about that for OBH4, although I'm assuming we will still be getting audio downloads of all three nights.  Does anyone have any info on that?  Are we really going to get 4 live albums this year???
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

rincon2

When the new live album comes out, I will certainly buy it. I do have a  question though. With all of the quality MMJ recordings for free on Archive.org, what is the general reason everyone is so excited about an official release? Is it to see what they chose to release and see if it matches up to expectations, release of versions not readily available online, or simply the tangible greatness of holding, looking at, and playing new MMJ vinyl? I mean, after all, most of the music is out there and available for free downloads.

parkervb

Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 18, 2018, 12:11 PM
When the new live album comes out, I will certainly buy it. I do have a  question though. With all of the quality MMJ recordings for free on Archive.org, what is the general reason everyone is so excited about an official release? Is it to see what they chose to release and see if it matches up to expectations, release of versions not readily available online, or simply the tangible greatness of holding, looking at, and playing new MMJ vinyl? I mean, after all, most of the music is out there and available for free downloads.

well if it's the Beacon shows, then the question is moot really.

But, I think the band will ensure the mix meets their expectations and that it will far exceed the aud recordings that are out there (as good as many of them are). I also feel the selections they make will reflect their feelings about who they are as a band at that time and place and to me, that's also interesting.

I just got a Pearl Jam live record where the audio had been out for years (Soldier Field 1995) and it was FAR better than the decent radio rips that had been out there. It showed me how much impact professional mixing can have, esp on a live record.
Don't you ever turn it off

rincon2

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 18, 2018, 01:52 PM

But, I think the band will ensure the mix meets their expectations and that it will far exceed the aud recordings that are out there (as good as many of them are). I also feel the selections they make will reflect their feelings about who they are as a band at that time and place and to me, that's also interesting.

I just got a Pearl Jam live record where the audio had been out for years (Soldier Field 1995) and it was FAR better than the decent radio rips that had been out there. It showed me how much impact professional mixing can have, esp on a live record.
Good answer. Can you school me on the specialness of the Beacon show? I saw the setlist and it is a good one, but so are many other shows. Not being a dick, just not up on everything.

sillyboob

I wasn't at the Beacon shows, but I think this article covers a good amount of the reasons why that run was so special:  https://www.stereogum.com/1846327/four-nights-at-the-beacon-theatre-with-my-morning-jacket/concert/

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

rkwedge

I wasn't there either but 89 songs over 4 nights and no cameras allowed so very little footage or audio exists. There's a video on youtube of PWW that's pretty good but not much else.

rincon2

OK. I clearly get it. :thumbsup: 4 night run with little or no taping. Even a 6 album release is only gonna scratch that surface. I'm on that bandwagon now, as opposed to the theory that it will be the summer '17 tour.

ericm

Quote from: rkwedge on Jan 18, 2018, 04:09 PM
I wasn't there either but 89 songs over 4 nights and no cameras allowed so very little footage or audio exists. There's a video on youtube of PWW that's pretty good but not much else.

Best Phone I've ever seen!  :thumbsup: 

"Where's Jim going?"

rkwedge

Quote from: ericm on Jan 18, 2018, 04:28 PM

Agreed Eric, ever since I saw that video I've dreamed of a soundboard quality version of that performance. One of my favorite songs and the best version. :tongue:

ericm

Quote from: rkwedge on Jan 18, 2018, 04:46 PM

Agreed Eric, ever since I saw that video I've dreamed of a soundboard quality version of that performance. One of my favorite songs and the best version. :tongue:

Ahh man, right there with ya. 🙏 🙏

The whole run was just amazing and there were so many highlights but that Phone, man it's right at the top and we still continue to talk about how blown away we were by it.

I'm hoping the new live album is from the Beacon. Not just because I was fortunate to have been there but so everyone who wasn't can experience what we were treated to.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

crooney

that beacon phone was majestic.  one of my top all time live jacket moments, right up there with anything from the t5 or port chester runs.

would love for the whole beacon run to see the light of day. 

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Jan 18, 2018, 05:15 PM
Quote from: rkwedge on Jan 18, 2018, 04:46 PM

Ahh man, right there with ya. 🙏 🙏

The whole run was just amazing and there were so many highlights but that Phone, man it's right at the top and we still continue to talk about how blown away we were by it.

I'm hoping the new live album is from the Beacon. Not just because I was fortunate to have been there but so everyone who wasn't can experience what we were treated to.  :beer:

exactly we need it to be from The Beacon shows...so much amazing music to choose from, especially songs not found on Okonokos.

We need the songs to not have a single repeat from Okonokos, BUT IF THEY DO, I'm okay with just Beats 4 U (with the new solo), Gideon (with the new end jam) and Dondante or Steam, but not more than 3 repeats. This band has so much music that's still not commercially noticed and that's a problem. I want this band to have all the success in the world and we've been lucky to see their gradual rise to this positon.

The NYE shows gave us all a look at what an arena Jacket band would be like and all I can say is SIGN ME THE FUCK UP (as long as it stays to a bit more than this level, ill be fine, i know our boys will stay grounded like they always do, they deserve everything good in this world).

But the MUSTS of the day are:

AT DAWN:

-PWW from Beacon 2015, we need to hear it at its optimum (a DVD release would be perfect for this type of a scene, Carl headbanging against the light of christ, Jim going nuts and doing his hilariously badass voodoo dancing, oh my god....that youtube video alone makes me shake

-DEATH IS THE EASY WAY

-JUST BECAUSE I DO or HONEST MAN?

TENNESSEE FIRE:

-THEY RAN from Beacon 2015 with those swimming guitars of Carl and Jim, such brilliance!!! They Ran 2015 set a new standard for They Ran for time and all eternity.
-HEARTBREAKIN MAN from Beacon 2015
-EVELYNS NOT REAL
-THE DARK
-IT'S ABOUT TWILIGHT NOW
-THE BEAR
-PICTURE OF YOU
-WAR BEGUN

ISM
-MASTERPLAN
-ROLLIN BACK
-EASY MORNING REBEL
-JUST ONE THING
-DANCEFLOORZZ (we need footage of it as we didnt get that sadly for Okonokos)

Z

no need for a new version of Off The Record unless thats the Merriweather 2017 recording combination hybrid jam with Spring...that IS what its all about if you're gonna be showing songs from Okonokos I in a new light  at all, THATS how you do it!!!
since Z was so well covered by Okonokos (every song except for INTO THE WOODS and KNOT COMES LOOSE) I think it's only fair if maybe just this comes from it:

- KNOT COMES LOOSE
- OFF THE RECORD / SPRING hybrid jam

at least 7 songs from EVIL URGES: my 7 would be:

- EVIL URGES
- ALUMINUM PARK (so underrated and so kickass)
- SMOKIN FROM SHOOTIN
- TOUCH ME II
- HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS
- THANK YOU TOO (possibly???) or maybe LOOK AT YOU??? im in for TU2
- IM AMAZED

5 or 6 from CIRCUITAL

- VICTORY DANCE
- CIRCUITAL
- OUTTA MY SYSTEM
- SLOW SLOW TUNE
- WONDERFUL (i'd trade this for any other great acoustic Jacket song especially inc. EASYWAY)
- HOLDIN ON TO BLACK METAL (i hope they dont include it but i know they will)

a few from WATERFALL

- SPRING
- TROPICS
- COMPOUND FRACTURE
- ONLY MEMORIES REMAIN

and that sounds about right from the Waterfall

then odds and ends, odds and sods, pricks and nobs:
- STATE OF THE ART
- DOWN ON THE BOTTOM
- CARRIED AWAY
- TONITE I WANT 2 CELEBRATE WITH U
- COBRA FOR DAMN SURE (i'd even take a weird collage of fifteen different Cobras that extends it to 14 minutes ahahah)
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ericm

Quote from: crooney on Jan 18, 2018, 05:36 PM
that beacon phone was majestic.  one of my top all time live jacket moments, right up there with anything from the t5 or port chester runs.

would love for the whole beacon run to see the light of day.

Totally agree and it's right up there for me as well. High praise considering some of the things I've been really lucky to have seen but well deserved. It was that great!   :beer:

"Where's Jim going?"

Lonndown27

finally this thread is alive!!!!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ericm

Quote from: sillyboob on Jan 18, 2018, 04:03 PM
I wasn't at the Beacon shows, but I think this article covers a good amount of the reasons why that run was so special:  https://www.stereogum.com/1846327/four-nights-at-the-beacon-theatre-with-my-morning-jacket/concert/

Nice write up and I don't remember seeing that before. That pic was exactly my spot for night 3.  :shocked:
"Where's Jim going?"

APR

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 18, 2018, 01:52 PM

Good question and answer.  I like the archive recordings but don't spend much time listening to them because of the sound.  I'm no audiophile, but I way prefer the 12/31/17 Sirius broadcast or some of the other radio station recordings like the Queens show from NYC last summer.  So you could argue that with enough of those types of amazing soundings shows that another live album isn't really necessary.   With nine shows from Mexico, three from Port Chester, a few Red Rocks and others I don't think we're hurting for great sounding shows.  And I don't know how much better a properly mixed show could sound to my ears.  But if it's MMJ, I want to get it and listen to it over and over.

And I agree with Parker about what the band actually selects being interesting.  I love the songs, the flow, and Jim's banter on Celebration de la Ciudad Natal.  The version of Dondante on that disc is one of the greatest Dondantes ever. 

walterfredo

a beacon box set make the most sense. and it sounds right.

unless they just come completely out of the blue with the long awaited T5. Just don't see that happening though.

The beacon is such a legendary venue. T5 is a fucking shithole! (but it was a helluva shithole for 5 nights!) Pure branding alone... Beacon wins out.