Next live album---what one song has to be on it?

Started by Nikkogino, Jun 13, 2016, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

So with Jim saying a new live album is in the works, what 1 song do you feel has to make the cut?  To me, the answer is obvious.  In my opinion, the holy trinity of MMJ consists of Steam Engine, Dondonte, and Phone Went West.  Strangulation is the alternate and close 4th.

With that said, the absence of "Phone Went West" on Okonokos has always bugged me.  It is so great live and is a signature track.  It absolutely has to be on the next live album.

So if Jim approached you and said "you get a vote, what one song is on the album," what would it be?????

crooney

Beacon PWW is an absolute monster!  Please, Jim.

ericm

Quote from: crooney on Jun 13, 2016, 11:14 AM
Beacon PWW is an absolute monster!  Please, Jim.

Without question the absolute BEST Phone I ever saw or heard!!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

This would easily be the one song I'd want to be on the album.
"Where's Jim going?"

WickedMessenger

War Begun - one of my favorite live songs, way different than studio version, and not on Okonokos.
For songs since Okonokos I think Victory Dance and Touch Me Pt 2 have to be on the list. 

Shug

I agree, War Begun is a must.  Epic versions since 2012 at Wiltern, Port Chester, Masonic and Beacon runs, among others.  When it goes into I Will Sing You Songs, its my absolute favorite back to back combo in their live repertoire!

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

beardedwonder

"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

Nikkogino

For songs since Z (Okonokos), the only ones I find to be must-haves are:
Smokin from Shootin--->Touch Me 2
Circuital
Victory Dance
Tropics
Only Memories Remain

rincon2

RR 16 Picture of You. It was like mixing Heartbreaking Man with Lay Low.

Nikkogino

I was thinking about what an Okonokos 2 Setlist would look like and it is difficult.  You would want to accomplish 3 things:
1) Represent all 7 albums
2) Include songs from the 3 albums since Z/Okonokos
3) Present songs not showcased on Okonokos

This proves difficult because many of the Okonokos tracks are essentials and the band blew their wad of Z tracks (8 of the 10).  I attempted to make my perfect live album tracklist for Okonokos 2 and aimed to accomplish the 3 goals above.**  You will see that there are no repeats from Okonokos which sucks (Z light) but as a companion piece to Okonokos, I wanted it to tell the MMJ story.  I used the Setlist from the Beacon shows last year as my menu of tracks. I also stuck to the 21 song formula to mimick Okonokos cd/digital.  I realize the vinyl has more songs, but most people are more familiar with the digital/cd version (I also wanted Strangulation and Where to Begin on the standard release).  I feel like this kind of tracklist, although light on Z and some key MMJ tracks, would complete the tale so to speak.  How did I do?

DISC 1
1) victory dance
2) compound fracture
3) easy morning rebel
4) cobra
5) Evil Urges
6) Picture of You*
7) Knot comes loose
8) Just Because I Do
9) Where to Begin
10) Holding on to Black Metal
11) Only Memories Remain

DISC 2
1) War Begun
2) Circuital
3) Masterplan
4) Smokin from Shootin (into.....)
5) Touch Me part 2
6) Old September Blues
7) Strangulation
8) Tropics
9) Rollin Back
10) Phone Went West

*if you have never seen this version of "Picture of you," put down what you are doing and watch.  Unreal: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqyBZ5KYLAU

**I am a f*cking nerd.

amskinz

"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

midwesterner

I just hope it is a good mix of material. When I listen back to Okonokos it is has too much of Z on it. I just hope this new live album wouldn't be mostly the last three albums but I feel like it will be

Nikkogino

Quote from: midwesterner on Jun 14, 2016, 03:23 PM
I just hope it is a good mix of material. When I listen back to Okonokos it is has too much of Z on it. I just hope this new live album wouldn't be mostly the last three albums but I feel like it will be
I feel like what I did above is fair....shows off the newer albums without oversaturating, and presents some older classics not on Okonokos.  I really hope they do something similar if they don't go the "full set" or "box set" route.

Lonndown27

OKONOKOS II: (made up of recordings / footage (hopefully) of Beacon shows)

Disc I:

1. Evil Urges   
2. Victory Dance
3. Circuital
4. The Dark
5. Compound Fracture
6. Masterplan
7. How Do You Know
8. Evelyn's Not Real
9. I'm Amazed
10.In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)
11.War Begun
12.Picture Of You

Disc II:

13.The Bear
14.Knot Comes Loose
15.Tonite I Want 2 Celebrate With U
16.Only Memories Remain
17.They Ran
18.Heartbreakin Man
19.Aluminum Park
20.Spring (Among The Living)
21.Easy Morning Rebel
22.Highly Suspicious
23.Holdin On To Black Metal
24.Cobra

Disc III:

24.Tropics (Erase Traces)
25.Smokin From Shootin
26.Touch Me (Pt.II) / Encore crowd noise / anticipation
27. Rollin Back
28. State of The Art (AEIOU)
29. Steam Engine
30. Down On The Bottom
31. Dancefloors
32. Phone Went West

anything even CLOSE to this ...is bonerific and i will purchase it the nanosecond it's out. Let the speculation begin.....
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

im down with Columbus 2012 as well.... :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

actually sorry, How Do You Know, DOES NOT have to be on the new live album...the scorching hot blast of HDYK from 2005's Okonokos Itunes bonus track edition is UNBELIEVABLE and very much a definitive version of that song. I'd very much like at the same time, Okonokos Expanded & Remastered to be released and Okonokos II to come out hahahha same time, separate DVDs, cases that look similar so you can put them next to each other on the shelves and drool  :cheesy:
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Varitek

"Did he just put on a cape?"

Nikkogino

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 14, 2016, 06:31 PM

OKONOKOS II: (made up of recordings / footage (hopefully) of Beacon shows)

Disc I:

1. Evil Urges   
2. Victory Dance
3. Circuital
4. The Dark
5. Compound Fracture
6. Masterplan
7. How Do You Know
8. Evelyn's Not Real
9. I'm Amazed
10.In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)
11.War Begun
12.Picture Of You

Disc II:

13.The Bear
14.Knot Comes Loose
15.Tonite I Want 2 Celebrate With U
16.Only Memories Remain
17.They Ran
18.Heartbreakin Man
19.Aluminum Park
20.Spring (Among The Living)
21.Easy Morning Rebel
22.Highly Suspicious
23.Holdin On To Black Metal
24.Cobra

Disc III:

24.Tropics (Erase Traces)
25.Smokin From Shootin
26.Touch Me (Pt.II) / Encore crowd noise / anticipation
27. Rollin Back
28. State of The Art (AEIOU)
29. Steam Engine
30. Down On The Bottom
31. Dancefloors
32. Phone Went West

anything even CLOSE to this ...is bonerific and i will purchase it the nanosecond it's out. Let the speculation begin.....
God I wish it was a 3 discer!  One thing I don't want though are non MMJ-songs (Down on the Bottom/State of the Art).  I'd rather them keep MMJ tracks only in consideration.

Brother Beck

Hold the phone - I realize this is not the point of this thread - but there's an iTunes version of Okononos with How Do You Know as a bonus track...?!?!?!???  How the F did I not know about this?!?!?!??  One of my absolute favorite MMJ songs and I thought I had tracked down all of the Okonokos songs that were played but didn't make the cut for the actual album.  It definitely doesn't show up in iTunes when I look for Okonokos in the US store...  Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction please...?

Back on topic: REMNANTS or SMOKIN FROM SHOOTIN or VICTORY DANCE because these guys are too amazing to pick only one.  Also, Compound Fracture because awesome. 

gardenparty

Wow you guys coverd it pretty well here

My must have would be: PWW, War Begun, Tropics, Spring, the Bear, Smokin from Shootin

Oh and a Slow Slow Tune

Shug

Tropics is my fave live song from The Waterfall, and I'm with ya gardenparty, on Slow Slow Tune.  It can get that epic slide guitar solo crescendo after the lovely and soulful main part of the song.  Live versions can be a revelation for those that didn't notice how great the song is from the studio version!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

sillyboob

Quote from: Shug on Jun 15, 2016, 12:30 PMLive versions can be a revelation for those that didn't notice how great the song is from the studio version!

I totally agree with this statement.  I typically don't enjoy the studio versions of songs once I've heard the live version.  With the recent ISM reissue, to me, you've got the demo versions as bonus tracks, the album version as guides for the live versions, and then the live versions, which to me are the definitive versions.  Long live live music!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.