Next live album---what one song has to be on it?

Started by Nikkogino, Jun 13, 2016, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonndown27

Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 15, 2016, 01:10 PM
Quote from: Shug on Jun 15, 2016, 12:30 PMLive versions can be a revelation for those that didn't notice how great the song is from the studio version!

I totally agree with this statement.  I typically don't enjoy the studio versions of songs once I've heard the live version.  With the recent ISM reissue, to me, you've got the demo versions as bonus tracks, the album version as guides for the live versions, and then the live versions, which to me are the definitive versions.  Long live live music!!

here here!!!   :beer:

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 14, 2016, 07:56 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 14, 2016, 06:31 PM

OKONOKOS II: (made up of recordings / footage (hopefully) of Beacon shows)

Disc I:

1. Evil Urges   
2. Victory Dance
3. Circuital
4. The Dark
5. Compound Fracture
6. Masterplan
7. How Do You Know
8. Evelyn's Not Real
9. I'm Amazed
10.In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)
11.War Begun
12.Picture Of You

Disc II:

13.The Bear
14.Knot Comes Loose
15.Tonite I Want 2 Celebrate With U
16.Only Memories Remain
17.They Ran
18.Heartbreakin Man
19.Aluminum Park
20.Spring (Among The Living)
21.Easy Morning Rebel
22.Highly Suspicious
23.Holdin On To Black Metal
24.Cobra

Disc III:

24.Tropics (Erase Traces)
25.Smokin From Shootin
26.Touch Me (Pt.II) / Encore crowd noise / anticipation
27. Rollin Back
28. State of The Art (AEIOU)
29. Steam Engine
30. Down On The Bottom
31. Dancefloors
32. Phone Went West

anything even CLOSE to this ...is bonerific and i will purchase it the nanosecond it's out. Let the speculation begin.....
God I wish it was a 3 discer!  One thing I don't want though are non MMJ-songs (Down on the Bottom/State of the Art).  I'd rather them keep MMJ tracks only in consideration.

totally get what you mean but arent those live versions just fucking sick????? if they replaced those two with Slow Slow and Wonderful i wouldnt mind one bit!!! Slow Slow is FUCKING EPIC!!!!

Quote from: Brother Beck on Jun 14, 2016, 08:27 PM
Hold the phone - I realize this is not the point of this thread - but there's an iTunes version of Okononos with How Do You Know as a bonus track...?!?!?!???  How the F did I not know about this?!?!?!??  One of my absolute favorite MMJ songs and I thought I had tracked down all of the Okonokos songs that were played but didn't make the cut for the actual album.  It definitely doesn't show up in iTunes when I look for Okonokos in the US store...  Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction please...?

Back on topic: REMNANTS or SMOKIN FROM SHOOTIN or VICTORY DANCE because these guys are too amazing to pick only one.  Also, Compound Fracture because awesome. 

Brother Beck, look in your PM for a present brudddah!  :beer: :grin:
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Nikkogino

Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 15, 2016, 01:10 PM
Quote from: Shug on Jun 15, 2016, 12:30 PMLive versions can be a revelation for those that didn't notice how great the song is from the studio version!

I totally agree with this statement.  I typically don't enjoy the studio versions of songs once I've heard the live version.  With the recent ISM reissue, to me, you've got the demo versions as bonus tracks, the album version as guides for the live versions, and then the live versions, which to me are the definitive versions.  Long live live music!!
I agree with this, but not for all bands.  MMJ become gods on-stage, so this applies.  There are bands out there though that flourish in the studio. 

rincon2

MMJ flourishes in the studio as well anyone. They just go to another level live. The Waterfall is a pure studio gem. All kinds of layered quirks and Easter Eggs. It completely transforms into something quite different live.

hendo9591

The day is coming was off the charts at the beacon insane jam session at the end would love to see that on there even though it's not high on most people's lists

ericm

Quote from: hendo9591 on Jun 15, 2016, 10:43 PM
The day is coming was off the charts at the beacon insane jam session at the end would love to see that on there even though it's not high on most people's lists

No question about that.  :thumbsup:  We were lucky enough to hear them sound check that one (twice actually) and knew it was gonna be great but they totally blew me away with it during the show. I'd love to see it make the album as well.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

sillyboob

For me, I'd be looking for a scorching version of Touch Me Part 2.  And War Begun too.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

parkervb

Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 16, 2016, 10:05 AM
For me, I'd be looking for a scorching version of Touch Me Part 2.  And War Begun too.

yea! TMP2 has gotten so badass over the last couple of years!
Don't you ever turn it off

justbcuzido

Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 16, 2016, 10:05 AM

To me OBH2 is the definitive War Begun. Like 15 minutes of epic
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

gcanini

Quote from: Brother Beck on Jun 14, 2016, 08:27 PM
Hold the phone - I realize this is not the point of this thread - but there's an iTunes version of Okononos with How Do You Know as a bonus track...?!?!?!???  How the F did I not know about this?!?!?!??  One of my absolute favorite MMJ songs and I thought I had tracked down all of the Okonokos songs that were played but didn't make the cut for the actual album.  It definitely doesn't show up in iTunes when I look for Okonokos in the US store...  Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction please...?

Where/how did you find that (How Do You Know)? Such a solid tune and would love to hear it live. Send it my way or show me the way to it, please!
The criminals who never break the law

oistheone

EVERYONE needs to track down the Okonokos Project. It's the single most essential MMJ release ever compiled.

Mr. White

Quote from: oistheone on Jun 17, 2016, 11:58 AM
EVERYONE needs to track down the Okonokos Project. It's the single most essential MMJ release ever compiled.

When this topic came up the other day, I tried to find the link to The Steam Engine's download, but it wasn't working. I just now tried again, and it appears to be downloading properly ... yes! yes! It did download, and I tried to play "How Do You Know", and it worked. (I've had this compilation on my little cheap GPX MP3 player for several years now. I almost always play it while mowing my large yard.) Hope everyone who wants it can download it from Jason's The Steam Engine site.

http://thesteamengine.net/mmj-archive/my-morning-jacket/various-and-compilations/
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

LB

no you never gotta fight with me

Lonndown27

for people who had the privilege to go to both T5 AND the Beacon run...you are some lucky bastards!!!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ericm

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 19, 2016, 01:18 PM
for people who had the privilege to go to both T5 AND the Beacon run...you are some lucky bastards!!!

:happy:

I was at both runs and that's exactly how I feel about being able to do both. It was a privilege, and I definitely feel lucky to have been there for all of those shows.  :thumbsup:  :beer:

I can't pick a favorite as that would be like asking which of my kids do I love the most. I will say The Tennessee Fire night 1 @ T5 was one of the more memorable shows I have  ever seen in decades of going to concerts. Not just for the sheer awesomeness of the album and tremendous performance of it but I'll never forget how absolutely quiet it was in there during each song. It was like we were at Carnegie Hall where no one dare spoke during a song and everyone held their applause til after each song.  :cool:

The show was no doubt for those who really wanted to be there and  hard core fans. Everyone was so focused on the music and unlike so many other shows there was NO chatter! It was so quiet, it made a lasting impression on me. I'll always remember that as does most  everyone else who was there that night, I'm sure.  A tip of my cap and a very well done to everyone there.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Nikkogino

Quote from: ericm on Jun 19, 2016, 07:29 PM

I was at both runs and that's exactly how I feel about being able to do both. It was a privilege, and I definitely feel lucky to have been there for all of those shows.  :thumbsup:  :beer:

I can't pick a favorite as that would be like asking which of my kids do I love the most. I will say The Tennessee Fire night 1 @ T5 was one of the more memorable shows I have  ever seen in decades of going to concerts. Not just for the sheer awesomeness of the album and tremendous performance of it but I'll never forget how absolutely quiet it was in there during each song. It was like we were at Carnegie Hall where no one dare spoke during a song and everyone held their applause til after each song.  :cool:

The show was no doubt for those who really wanted to be there and  hard core fans. Everyone was so focused on the music and unlike so many other shows there was NO chatter! It was so quiet, it made a lasting impression on me. I'll always remember that as does most  everyone else who was there that night, I'm sure.  A tip of my cap and a very well done to everyone there.  :beer:

I love the way TTF songs sound today...so good. 

HardNightConformist

Like a River - but a 10 minute version where they take it to a completely different place.

Lonndown27

I NEED MORE STORIES!!!!!! How was Come Closer on the At Dawn night? How did they sound playing it? was it a different version? sorry im obsessed

Crispy

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 23, 2016, 12:26 PM

I NEED MORE STORIES!!!!!! How was Come Closer on the At Dawn night? How did they sound playing it? was it a different version? sorry im obsessed

My god yes, that T5 night 1 was so good.

I think I was weeping too much to think about whether Come Closer was much different...but I know it was wonderful.  :wink:

You want stories? How about when they played Cobra after killing Miss You right after Come Closer right after blowing the roof off the place with O, and I had been wondering aloud earlier if they'd play the whole thing...and then I realized they were! I sort of had a little freakout, and this kid next to me asked what this tune was, and I told him, then started going on about how they've never played the WHOLE THING, and that's when ms yvon turned to me with eyes blazing and shushed me. I shushed.  :grin:
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

Murph

I was at both of those runs and I think If I really had to pick a favorite night.... it would be Night 3 of Port Chester haha. 

In all honesty, I dont take it for granted that I got to be at all THREE of those runs