Songs/Bands You Don't Get

Started by KarateDreamzShoNuff, Aug 13, 2016, 12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarateDreamzShoNuff

What's a song that is generally pretty well liked or loved (by people with generally good taste, no low-hanging fruit here) that you just can't understand why anyone wouldn't hate it? No one can get their feelings hurt here, but be as vicious as you want but only towards the songs.

Mine is "Wonderwall." Man that song is just the worst. I just don't understand anything about liking Oasis, but especially this song. The worst was when my friend said "KarateDreamzShoNuff, [we weren't on a first name basis yet] you just need to check out the Ryan Adams version first and then you'll understand it." I believed in her and I believed in Ryan Adams too! For a brief moment I had been tricked into thinking I would like that song, but then I started it and realized "Oh wait, he's just singing 'Wonderwall.' Why would I like this any better?" Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me chicken soup with rice
Registration makes you spell 'acoustic' backwards?? That's bonkers. I'm naming my kid Citsouca-KDSN

KarateDreamzShoNuff

Do you all ever have that experience where you start listening to a band and you don't 'get' it, but then you keep listening for some reason and you end up falling in love? I think that's honestly been the experience with most/all my favorite bands. Most recent example::::::The National. I must've tried listening to those guys 10 times and never enjoyed it once. I can even remember even thinking to myself how if I ever actually thought I was enjoying their music, it would only be me lying to myself. Well of course the next time I try listening to them, I fall in love with "Karen" and eventually that whole album and then their other albums too. Now I'm to the point where I have to make myself listen to other stuff just cause I don't wanna ONLY listen to the same band nonstop for a year. Weird how some of the best music requires you to have to put a little bit of work into it before you can start enjoying it.
Registration makes you spell 'acoustic' backwards?? That's bonkers. I'm naming my kid Citsouca-KDSN

LBSUNFLWR

pretty funny bc as soon as I read the title of this thread I was going to say The National.
Seems people who generally like what I like listen to The National and I can't say I have enjoyed what I've heard. I will admit I haven't listened to more than a handful of songs either. I also fully admit to being extremely picky when it comes to music. I also never liked The White Stripes or The Black Keys. But to each their own.

I never understood how people could knock The Black Crowes when they've been my favorite band since the 90's.

As for Wonderwall and Ryan Adams, I am among the biggest Ryan Adams fans around and I still prefer the Oasis version of Wonderwall.

parkervb

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Aug 15, 2016, 08:44 AM

I never understood how people could knock The Black Crowes when they've been my favorite band since the 90's.

that's a thing?
Don't you ever turn it off

LBSUNFLWR

yeah people rag on them.
those people are wrong.

MMJTX

Anytime

parkervb

Phish.

I get it but don't get it - I respect their music, their talent and all but it doesn't move me.
Don't you ever turn it off

walterfredo

Radiohead does absolutely nothing for me. Have tried to listen to their music many many times. Told myself it must be a live thing, so I saw them live. Nothing. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Shug

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 15, 2016, 10:31 AM

that's a thing?

I don't understand how people can not like The Black Crowes but think Chris Robison Brotherhood is fantastic.  CRB, to me, is embarrassingly bad, especially compared to how good the Black Crowes were for much of their years.  Also cannot understand why so many Crowes fans don't seem to appreciate what a genius Rich Robinson is as a guitar player and song writer and continues to be in his solo tours.

Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is, IMO, the best rock album of the 90s.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

KarateDreamzShoNuff

pretty funny bc as soon as I read the title of this thread I was going to say The National.
Seems people who generally like what I like listen to The National and I can't say I have enjoyed what I've heard. I will admit I haven't listened to more than a handful of songs either. I also fully admit to being extremely picky when it comes to music. I also never liked The White Stripes or The Black Keys. But to each their own.

As for Wonderwall and Ryan Adams, I am among the biggest Ryan Adams fans around and I still prefer the Oasis version of Wonderwall.

Cool cool cause we're on pretty different ends of MMJ's spectrum apparently. Oasis I don't like. Black Keys are pretty meh, not terrible, but pretty unspectacular. But I think the White Stripes are all-timers. I love literally every single one of their songs with no exceptions.

As for the Black Crowes, they're honestly nowhere on my radar (including the Robinson brother side projects). The only song I know is "Hard to Handle" which I kinda dislike a lot, so that's kept me from ever looking beyond that, but might be I should look into it more.

BTW, we also agree on Ryan Adams, he's another all-timer, and maybe the only all-timer on my list who seems to have such a low opinion of their own music. Haha!

KarateDreamzShoNuff

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 15, 2016, 12:18 PM
Radiohead does absolutely nothing for me. Have tried to listen to their music many many times. Told myself it must be a live thing, so I saw them live. Nothing. Like nails on a chalkboard.

I really like The Bends and OK Computer. Kid A I'm pretty fond of, but that may just be a result of the number of times I listened to that album trying to 'get' it. Never seen them live, but I've been hopeful that if I did, some of their later stuff would click more, but there's a good chance it wouldn't.

KarateDreamzShoNuff

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 15, 2016, 11:09 AM
Phish.

I get it but don't get it - I respect their music, their talent and all but it doesn't move me.

Dude YES. Everytime I've ever listened to them, my thought process goes like this:

"You gotta admit, self, they are pretty pretty on those instruments..." quickly followed by "But aren't there other people who are also talented musicians whose music sounds good??"

I bet being in Phish (or other jam bands) is probably more fun than being in other bands cause there's no restrictions, you can do exactly what you want. MMJ does so much better than most bands at varying their setlists and trying to experiment with songs they've played a bunch before, but even that would wear on me. I would hate feeling like I HAD to play a certain song or people were going to be disappointed. So kudos to Phish for creating a situation where they don't have to do that, but I just can't latch on man

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 15, 2016, 11:09 AM
Phish.

I have to 100% agree!

And I have to laugh whenever I see this bumper sticker...

LBSUNFLWR

I love Radiohead since I heard the first note of the first album when I was in college. I have been a fan over the years and they're one of the best live shows I have ever seen...but I don't listen to them that often and they are one band I NEVER try to convince anyone to listen to bc I know they are not for everybody.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: Shug on Aug 15, 2016, 01:17 PM

that's a thing?

I don't understand how people can not like The Black Crowes but think Chris Robison Brotherhood is fantastic.  CRB, to me, is embarrassingly bad, especially compared to how good the Black Crowes were for much of their years.  Also cannot understand why so many Crowes fans don't seem to appreciate what a genius Rich Robinson is as a guitar player and song writer and continues to be in his solo tours.

Agree with you about Southern Harmony and I think Amorica is not far behind. 2 all-time favorite albums. My favorite band to see live and I have seen them live more than any other band.

To me no one will ever be the Black Crowes...but I love the CRB. Completely different sound though. I just think Chris is such an awesome front man, and being a huge Ryan Adams fan I was already a Neal Casal fan. Seeing Neal with Chris is like a dream for me. And Adam MacDougall was fun in the BC but kills it in the CRB!! They put on a fantastic 3 hour live show!

That being said, I also am a huge fan of Rich Robinson. He's my favorite guitar player and I go see him any chance I get as well.

wheelhousetunes

Quote from: Shug on Aug 15, 2016, 01:17 PM

that's a thing?

You said it, brother!

jimsflyingv

Coldplay and Radiohead - never got into them......

Shug

Well at least you like Rich solo and The Crowes, I won't hold the CRB love against ya, ha ha ha!  :grin:

I'm going to see Rich in Austin and San Antonio next month and I'm stoked.  Sven Pipien (Crowes bassist in the later years) is in the band and then Marc Ford will be sitting in for those Woodstock sessions....I could be very excited about  a Black Crowes with Marc Ford, Rich Robinson, Gorman, Pipien and a good keyboard player, it'd be too much to think Ed Harsch would do it, but in my dreams that's how it would go.  Marc and Rich can handle all the vocals.  No need for a lead singer to mess things up, ha ha ha!   :grin:
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

LBSUNFLWR

I had the very same conversation when I read that Sven and Marc were playing with Rich. And I would go to that show any chance I could.

I always have loved both brothers, no need for me to choose between the two now.
Last year we got to see Rich solo in Newport, KY in a really old church converted into a music venue. Only about 50 people there. it was so great!

walterfredo

for the phish-haters in the bunch, have any of you seen them live?  If not, you should reserve final judgement until you give a live experience a visit.