Free Lockn' Webcast!

Started by scottyb, Aug 24, 2016, 10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonndown27

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

slappymoe

gary clark jr was great, can't wait to see him in mexico. :beer:

he'll make a perfect headliner for MMJ's night off.

oistheone

That was it. That was the best Jacket show I've ever seen.

MMJ's headlining set at Lockn was the musical equivalent of a home run derby. Banger, after banger, after banger. I've seen them a LOT over the last decade, but this set was unlike any MMJ show I've ever seen. There were no dark or quiet moments to be found, just a pedal-to-the-medal 140-minute dance party that soared past their curfew and kept going to damn near 1AM.   

On top of what seemed like the most powerful versions of each song I've ever heard, it was the very unexpected covers shot the energy into the stratosphere. "What the World Needs Now..." was pure saccharine joy. And they probably made a couple thousand new fans with that "Phone"/"Could You Be Loved" transition alone. But when they tore into "Rebel Rebel", the place just about exploded. Or maybe it just looked that way because of that juiced-up, fucking HUGE lighting rig.

If they ever return to Lockn, I urge everyone to go -- great festival and great crowd. SO WORTH the drive from Toronto! Before the show started, my girlfriend and I started talking with a guy next to us. He was contemplating heading back to his tent after Tedeschi-Trucks, and we urged him to stay, basically telling him he'd be making the biggest mistake of his life if he missed this set.

He turned to me after every song, making this face:

We'll be seeing him at a show again soon.

LBSUNFLWR

dexter

crazy how many people that have been seeing them for a long time on here are calling lockn the best show ever.  this band has had so many great shows and moments and a lot of times they have different feels.  but even at home on the stream by myself the energy and the FEEL of that performance came through loud and clear.  when im home watching a stream i tend to be over critical, its just different sitting on the couch than being there.  but i got none of that for this set.  and i wasnt able to sit on my couch either. 

they crushed it

APR

They certainly crushed it as they always do.

I was standing near a couple who had never seen MMJ before, and they were going bananas pretty much the whole night.  A few others didn't know AEIOU when it started, but when I turned around and saw them it was clear that they were totally digging it. 

I was on Jim's side of the stage (therefore probably more in tune with Jim and Bo and watching/hearing them more), and from my perspective he and Bo seemed to be on fire the entire night.  The keys were right up there in the mix and were so awesome for the Marley tune.  What the World Needs Now worked so well and then they went into the ripping guitar jam.  Sooooo good.

As great as many of the slower songs are, I liked the set without any of them.  It was non stop rock with great smooth, flow right into the covers.  I was totally surprised to hear new covers thinking that the band have not been together this summer to work up anything new.  But obviously they found time to rehearse and learn those songs.......total pros that love music and challenging themselves.

Greatest band.  It's hard to say which show is the greatest show because the most recent one usually is.  I thought Steam and Part 2 were unusually stellar versions.   But in reality all their shows are at such a high level that there isn't much difference between them.

I hope the stream is viewable because I'd like to see the show again.

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

dexter

didnt it sound like for second that someone started SOTA again right before wordless?
(or is that always played before wc and i just missed it?)

https://youtu.be/wx2uOab0Pzk?t=1h49m36s

DireWolf

I was at Lockn this weekend. I know this isn't news at this point, but MMJ killed it. I saw them this year in Raleigh and it was like two different bands. So much energy. I had been listening to so much music up to that point and it gets hard to reach the big highs as the night goes on. But as soon as Victory Dance ended I involuntarily slapped the strangers back next to me and said "now this concert is actually starting!" Really need this video through payment or otherwise. Thank you MMJ!!

APR

Great photo above.

I listened to https://archives.org/details/mmj2016-08-27

And after listening to a good part of the show, I agree with myself that Bo was insane......during Could You Be Loved, Touch Me Part 2, and Steam for examples. 

APR

Quote from: dexter on Aug 29, 2016, 02:30 PM
didnt it sound like for second that someone started SOTA again right before wordless?

Interesting catch.  Yes it sounds just like that.  I don't think it's played like that normally (at least not like that on the live versions of WC I have in my phone)

dexter

Quote from: APR on Aug 29, 2016, 10:29 PM
Quote from: dexter on Aug 29, 2016, 02:30 PM

Interesting catch.  Yes it sounds just like that.  I don't think it's played like that normally (at least not like that on the live versions of WC I have in my phone)

i may have been a little too buzzed at that hour on my couch but it almost looked like jim gave a wtf look as he/they were SO in the zone that whole show..

oistheone

I'M AMAZED that barely two days after the show, we've got two PRIMO audience recordings and a webcast rip. Thanks so much everyone! Still can't tell which recording I like better -- they're all great! The stereo separation is nice on the stream rip but the CM recording packs a serious punch that takes me right back to that magical field in Arrington. Think I'll keep 'em all in the rotation!

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: oistheone on Aug 30, 2016, 11:24 AM
I'M AMAZED that barely two days after the show, we've got two PRIMO audience recordings and a webcast rip. Thanks so much everyone! Still can't tell which recording I like better -- they're all great! The stereo separation is nice on the stream rip but the CM recording packs a serious punch that takes me right back to that magical field in Arrington. Think I'll keep 'em all in the rotation!

Agreed! We are very lucky to have access to so much and very lucky there are still great tapers out there!! :)
I am loving the archive.org version currently but will make my way through them all.

parkervb

RobRoy286

Holy hogs...

That was the best Jacket show I've ever seen (Bonnaroo 2011, Detroit 2011, Detroit 2015, Red Rocks 2016, Lockn').

Unbelievable seeing them in a jam band festival environment. I think they made a lot of new fans. I was with a group of Phish/Umphrey's fans, and they all came out of the weekend saying Jacket was their favorite set.

I think I'd take Victory Dance opening every show. Compound Fracture and Off the Record were both SO rockin.  Maybe hard to tell from a casual listener, but being there, it just felt different right away. They JAMMED. Best Steam I've ever heard, and maybe the best Phone too. I will never forget the feeling of seeing Jacket absolutely shred in the middle of a field, with such a huge stage setup. Unforgettable.

mdgsolo

Just wow.

It was a super sad and lonely night for me to begin with until friend reminded me about the webcast at the last minute.  My night was instantly turned into something more akin to Victory Dance.  I was just coming off of being at Pearl Jam at Wrigley and Fenway and tried not to set my expectations too high.  Boy, was I wrong. 

A one man one webcast party blew my mind and elevated me to a place where I was once again in touch with the music of the spheres...

Thank you MMJ.

parkervb

oistheone

I'm KeepVid'ing the shit out of this!