Free Lockn' Webcast!

Started by scottyb, Aug 24, 2016, 10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoojack

The crowd seemed very good from what I could tell. Except that one guy in the rail at the beginning of OBH.  I definitely think they won over some new phans.

I Was hoping for an interesting Colab but there wasn't really any room with that set list. Derek trucks could've sat in in it makes no difference but it seems like the bands moved on to other covers. And I was very happy with the ones we got. Gave a little sigh at the beginning of both purple rain and could you be loved but they were killer as usual. Who am I to doubt?

bhyman

Other than Tyrone and Oh Sweet Nuthin, I would always pick a deep cur over a cover, but those covers last night were just brilliant. Rebel Rebel was so tight, true to Bowie but very Jacketesque. Whats really weird is that may be one of my least favorite Bowie songs, until that cover last night. Wow, I hope somebody captured that set.

LBSUNFLWR

I started listening yesterday during Galactic just sitting outside listening on my phone with speakers but not watching. I came in to start watching during Phil's set. That really picked up for me when Derek and Susan came out for Mr. Charlie and Sugaree. That Sugaree was the highlight of the day up to that point. Then Anders came out for Shakedown St. and then they went into Terrapin, which is one of my all-time favorite songs. I wish they would have kept Anders as the singer...I think Phil kinda killed it for me. but still a great set with a big ending.

TTB was excellent as expected. And the MMJ set was outstanding!!! State of The Art>Phone Went West  :cheesy: :cheesy: that was the highlight for me. I thought they killed it all night and definitely think they made a lot of new fans.

this morning I saw a video clip from late night Steal Your Bass: Phil Lesh, Mike Gordon and The Hard Working Americans. Video I saw had Susan Tedeschi out with them singing He's Gone. The collaborations at this festival are just too good to be true, especially if you're a GD fan. And the CRB haven't even gotten there yet!! Can't wait to see them today followed by another set of Phil and Friends: with the CRB as his band plus Gary Clark Jr.

I think this is by far the best festival of the summer...and I'm not even watching Phish. Might catch a little later to see how they close this weekend down.

LBSUNFLWR

Also The Wailers at 2 pm might be a good way to start the day. Sitting out in the sunshine in my backyard with that on sounds like a plan this afternoon. I saw them once, a long time ago, and remember thinking at certain moments: if I close my eyes I just might think it was Bob up there.

beardedwonder

Fell asleep after Victory Dance. Any video or rebroadcast of mmj set known of ??
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

Varitek

MMJ showed up with a purpose last night and delivered. I'm a fan of several of the  headlining acts this weekend but MMJ played the most powerful, professional and rocking show of the weekend thus far IMO. So impressed with the construction and performance of that setlist.

I'm always appreciative of anyone who has the time and skill to capture the audio off these streams and really hope we get to hear this one again.
"Did he just put on a cape?"

dookie shoot bandit

https://archive.org/details/mmj2
Quote from: beardedwonder on Aug 28, 2016, 10:06 AM
Fell asleep after Victory Dance. Any video or rebroadcast of mmj set known of ??
Quote from: beardedwonder on Aug 28, 2016, 10:06 AM

No video yet... But on archive

https://archive.org/details/mmj2016-08-27.CM-33

Varitek

Thanks for the link. Kudos to the taper, nice capture and a quick turn around.
"Did he just put on a cape?"

AlwxanderD10

Missed it last night, hope somebody was able
to capture the stream !

Shug

How 'bout that jammed ending to What The World Needs Now?  I love Jim's sincerity and I love Burt Bacharach's songwriting, a pop genius.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

consigliare

OK, just arrived home from a great night.

Having been to OBH 1 & 2, Red Rocks 2015 & 2016, Lewiston, Merriweather and a few others I cannot necessary recall right now - very tired and hoarse - last night was by far the BEST single night I have ever seen! 

That set list was insane and they turned it up way, way past 11.

I have to imagine that all who were not too familiar with them were in complete and utter awe - I was and still am.

It was the kind that you read about.

A great big thank you! 

raheuer

Man, I hope this bodes well for Hulaween! What a set list, holy smokes.
It's DON FREAKIN DANTE by My Morning Jacket, just chill the hell out and listen!

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: consigliare on Aug 28, 2016, 01:36 PM

Having been to OBH 1 & 2, Red Rocks 2015 & 2016, Lewiston, Merriweather and a few others I cannot necessary recall right now - very tired and hoarse - last night was by far the BEST single night I have ever seen! 

I have to imagine that all who were not too familiar with them were in complete and utter awe - I was and still am.

A great big thank you! 

So jealous!!

How was the festival set up in general?

consigliare

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Aug 28, 2016, 01:59 PM
Quote from: consigliare on Aug 28, 2016, 01:36 PM

A great big thank you! 

So jealous!!

How was the festival set up in general?

I normally don't go to festivals, but to m it was huge and very open with lots of lots of space to move about.  We went in for Phil and part of TTB and were immediately behind the sound board.  We went back out to our tent to grill up some food, etc. and then arrived back in about 5 minutes before MMJ started.  We were able to easily get to about what I would say was 1/2 way between the stage and the sound board in front of Carl without any problem.

The vendors, beer and bathrooms were a bit of a hike from the stage, but once we were in front of Carl, there was no way we were moving.

Pesh

Longtime lurker here. I love MMJ, but I also love Phish and other bands that value a great love performance. What I saw yesterday from MMJ might have been the best show I've ever seen. It's up there. I was like 8-10 people back from Carl. Mind blown. Might need to make it to Hulaween and give them all my money.

Stevie

Quote from: dexter on Aug 28, 2016, 01:13 AM
I'm a little worried about phish heads that never gave them a chance, but were forced to go tonight as their band was playing Friday and Sunday and we're just "there" suddenly getting hooked and making our shows that much more crowded. Obviously I'm sorta kidding, with music, the more the merrier, but maybe not totally kidding.

My experience with Phish heads has taught me that the ones that are super into Phish will probably never get into Jacket just because they scoff at the notion that anyone else is really worth their time.  Plus, Jacket doesn't really jam the way Phish does so it is destined for failure.  I could see us getting some of their more casual fans, though. 

Not to worry, though, I have noticed that MMJs tends to suck in the "good kind" of people and filter out the BS. 

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: Pesh on Aug 28, 2016, 03:57 PM
Longtime lurker here. I love MMJ, but I also love Phish and other bands that value a great love performance. What I saw yesterday from MMJ might have been the best show I've ever seen. It's up there. I was like 8-10 people back from Carl. Mind blown. Might need to make it to Hulaween and give them all my money.

So awesome!!

Pesh

Quote from: Stevie on Aug 28, 2016, 04:06 PM
Quote from: dexter on Aug 28, 2016, 01:13 AM
I'm a little worried about phish heads that never gave them a chance, but were forced to go tonight as their band was playing Friday and Sunday and we're just "there" suddenly getting hooked and making our shows that much more crowded. Obviously I'm sorta kidding, with music, the more the merrier, but maybe not totally kidding.

My experience with Phish heads has taught me that the ones that are super into Phish will probably never get into Jacket just because they scoff at the notion that anyone else is really worth their time.  Plus, Jacket doesn't really jam the way Phish does so it is destined for failure.  I could see us getting some of their more casual fans, though. 

Not to worry, though, I have noticed that MMJs tends to suck in the "good kind" of people and filter out the BS.
You should look at a Phish forum. That show converted a lot of people. I guess it took MMJ playing a festival with Phish for them to notice... You'll get the good guys who are into music not just the Phish "scene."