Asheville - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium (Roll Call)

Started by easy way, Sep 06, 2016, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenEarth

1. easy way + Mrs. easy way (aka: Windeon)
2. Gina and Murph
3. Mr. and Mrs Clarkwork!
4. kotchishm +3
5. VB
6. vandemusser +3 (row L)
7. layin low, Mrs LL and 2 friends
8. DaydreamNation, roadtrippin' it solo from Louisville
9. NSL +2
10. parkervb
11. GreenEarth and Beautiful Wife!
Kickin' and a Screamin' Wonderin'

easy way

Bumpin' this thread for hype... it's the 27th. See y'all in a month!  :thumbsup:
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

DaydreamNation

Any locals care to give recommendations about things to do around town? It appears that I have talked my girlfriend into making the trip with me even though she doesn't have a ticket to the show (she saw them with me 5/12 and enjoyed herself but doesn't feel the need to see them again, so for her it's just a mini-vacation). I think we're doing an AirBnb in the Historic Montford neighborhood, so any recommendations based upon that would be appreciated. We plan on arriving late afternoon on Thursday and leaving late Friday night or early Saturday morning. We both work in the culinary industry so restaurant recs are especially appreciated.

Thanks, and can't wait to see all y'all in less than a month!
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

hoojack

Asheville is a great town. Especially for foodies. You'll have tons of options  downtown. Some Recs:
curate- Spanish tapas. One of the top places in town. Reservations are hard to come by but one person or a couple shouldn't have any problem squeezing in at the bar which also overlooks into the kitchen.
Wicked weed- great craft beer with lots of interesting styles. There are several other good breweries over in the south slope neighborhood
White duck taco- solid lunch place. I've only been to the one in the river arts district but there's one downtown as well
Biscuithead - the hangover killer. They do gravy flights with their biscuits l. Nuff said.
Bens tune up - house brewed saki and solid upscale bar food
Night bell (?)- not sure the exact name but it's the same people that own curate. Awesome cocktail list.
Thirsty monk- best beer bar in town.

There are lots of shops and such downtown. Great beer town. You'll hear a lot about tupelo honey. As service industry folks id think you'd find it overrated and not worth the wait. Go get biscuits.

DaydreamNation

11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

hoojack

No problem. I'm not from Asheville but my wife and I make it a point to get there at least a couple times a year so there are always a few new places that are getting a bunch of hype. The ones I listed are the old faithfuls. Hopefully I didn't get too booze centric but usually all we do is eat and drink. One last rec is the French broad chocolate shop. Don't know how I forgot about that. The Mexican hot cocoa is amazing. Bens tuneup should have live music and you're bound to come across several other places that do as well.  That should have covered everything from sunup to well past sundown for the food/drink/music agenda.  The biltmore is a big attraction for a lot of tourists (I've honestly never been) and there's good hiking up and down the blue ridge parkway. The hike at craggie gardens is a fairly easy and ends in killer views. I'm sure there are others.  The sierrra Nevada east coast facility is supposed to be impressive as well and isn't too far out of town. Jam out for me. October is just too packed with anniversaries and birthdays to squeeze this in.

jtjcool17

1. easy way + Mrs. easy way (aka: Windeon)
2. Gina and Murph
3. Mr. and Mrs Clarkwork!
4. kotchishm +3
5. VB
6. vandemusser +3 (row L)
7. layin low, Mrs LL and 2 friends
8. DaydreamNation, roadtrippin' it solo from Louisville
9. NSL +2
10. parkervb
11. GreenEarth and Beautiful Wife!
12. jtjcool17 and wife

This is my first post on this Forum and I must say I am extremely excited to see MMJ in such an intimate setting. This will be my 4th MMJ show and my wife's first MMJ show, although she did see Jim James solo with me at the Orange Peel :)

layin low

Asheville is an incredible city. One of my favorites. I'll second hoojack's recos and add the following:

Food: Curate one of the best restaurants I've ever been to, but yes, reservations hard to come by. Try to go mid-day maybe or sit at the bar. The Admiral is another top spot. Buxton Hall BBQ just opened and it's outstanding. Really like White Duck Taco too and the best ribs in NC are located at 12 Bones.

Drinks: Asheville is the beer capital of the Southeast. Wicked Weed by and far is the top brewery there; check out their regular spot and also their Funkatorium (two different locations) if you dig sour beers. Green Man and Burial other must-visits. Sierra Nevada is a wonder but as hoojack said, it's on the outskirts of Asheville by the airport. (Best to check out when leaving perhaps). There's a number of other great breweries in the city; and Tasty Beverage and Appalachian Vintner are two great bottle shops with solid taplists as well. For cocktails, I've always been partial to Sovereign Remedies. Terrific drinks and atmosphere.

Tons to do downtown, I always say you can fall flat into any restaurant/bar in downtown Asheville and have a terrific time. Cheers, and can't wait for the end of this month!!

hoojack

Slight thread jack: do you know if the admiral still does their soul dance parties on saturdays? I stumbled into it a few years back and could've sworn I was in the dance scene from pulp fiction. Amazing and unexpected party. Their food ain't too shabby either.

vandemusser

Quote from: DaydreamNation on Oct 01, 2016, 02:56 PM
Any locals care to give recommendations about things to do around town? It appears that I have talked my girlfriend into making the trip with me even though she doesn't have a ticket to the show (she saw them with me 5/12 and enjoyed herself but doesn't feel the need to see them again, so for her it's just a mini-vacation). I think we're doing an AirBnb in the Historic Montford neighborhood, so any recommendations based upon that would be appreciated. We plan on arriving late afternoon on Thursday and leaving late Friday night or early Saturday morning. We both work in the culinary industry so restaurant recs are especially appreciated.

I agree with many of the recommendations listed so far (especially Biscuit Head), but if you are staying in Montford I would strongly urge you to hit Nine Mile on Montford Avenue for either lunch or dinner. You should be able to walk there from where you are staying. Inexpensive, delicious, and much easier to get into than many of the places listed.

Not as big a fan of Wicked Weed as most people... very crowded and the lower bar tends to be a bro-fest. I will say they make very good beer, though. Probably worth stopping in. Want something a little more off the beaten track? After WW, I'd stop in at Bhramari one block over for a quick one, then walk a little farther to Burial Brewing, which is another block over. Burial is my fave in town, personally. If you still need another beer, I'd hit Catawba Brewing which is a stone's throw from Burial, then hit dinner next door at Buxton Hall Barbeque, which just made Bon Appetit's list of 10 best new restaurants in the country. Not as cheap as BBQ should be, but hellaciously good.

Clarkwork

Quote from: vandemusser on Oct 06, 2016, 08:51 AM
Quote from: DaydreamNation on Oct 01, 2016, 02:56 PM

I agree with many of the recommendations listed so far (especially Biscuit Head), but if you are staying in Montford I would strongly urge you to hit Nine Mile on Montford Avenue for either lunch or dinner. You should be able to walk there from where you are staying. Inexpensive, delicious, and much easier to get into than many of the places listed.

Not as big a fan of Wicked Weed as most people... very crowded and the lower bar tends to be a bro-fest. I will say they make very good beer, though. Probably worth stopping in. Want something a little more off the beaten track? After WW, I'd stop in at Bhramari one block over for a quick one, then walk a little farther to Burial Brewing, which is another block over. Burial is my fave in town, personally. If you still need another beer, I'd hit Catawba Brewing which is a stone's throw from Burial, then hit dinner next door at Buxton Hall Barbeque, which just made Bon Appetit's list of 10 best new restaurants in the country. Not as cheap as BBQ should be, but hellaciously good.

Agree on Nine Mile, great place!  Honestly just walk downtown and enjoy,  I love the entire downtown area
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

DaydreamNation

jtjcool17

If you like Indian Food then I would recommend checking out Chai Pani.  They do a version of Indian Street food and the prices are good.  Try the Tandoori Fish wrap, it's delicious.  If you go to the Thirsty Munk, make sure you go to the bottom floor to try some of the Belgian Beers they have  :beer:

parkervb

Quote from: jtjcool17 on Oct 18, 2016, 10:49 AM
If you like Indian Food then I would recommend checking out Chai Pani.  They do a version of Indian Street food and the prices are good.  Try the Tandoori Fish wrap, it's delicious.  If you go to the Thirsty Munk, make sure you go to the bottom floor to try some of the Belgian Beers they have  :beer:

Please don't have Indian food and too much beer if you are sitting near Row N on Jim side.  ;)
Don't you ever turn it off

Clarkwork

The South Slope Brewery district is also a great place.  YOu have great breweries like, Burial, Hi-Wire, Greenman, Catawaba.  Also Buxton Hall barbecue, and Vortex doughnuts which is really great.  Some great brew tours around that area. 

See you guys soon!
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

jtjcool17

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 18, 2016, 02:26 PM
Quote from: jtjcool17 on Oct 18, 2016, 10:49 AM

Please don't have Indian food and too much beer if you are sitting near Row N on Jim side.  ;)

We probably will not be getting Indian Food before the show this time.  :wink:

But if I did...I am in the absolute last row on the balcony so you have no need to worry. 

parkervb

vandemusser

Heads up... if anyone needs tickets, Ticketmaster just dumped a bunch onto the map. Decent seats... rows M through P in the orchestra. These won't last long!

DaydreamNation

Does anyone know whether the advertised time of 8 pm is doors open time or show time? Cant leave Louisville before about 1 p.m. that day so I'm trying to figure out whether we have time for dinner before the show or not.

parkervb

Quote from: DaydreamNation on Oct 21, 2016, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know whether the advertised time of 8 pm is doors open time or show time? Cant leave Louisville before about 1 p.m. that day so I'm trying to figure out whether we have time for dinner before the show or not.

site says Doors at 7 http://www.uscellularcenterasheville.com/events/list/
I'd guess show starts at 8:30, ends at 11