New Jim James Solo Album - Eternally Even

Started by justbcuzido, Sep 19, 2016, 10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

MyRunningShoes

I liked the vibe of the song but I'm not a big fan of Jim's politically and socially motivated songs.

btragno

Quote from: justbcuzido on Sep 23, 2016, 10:31 AM
First Single

https://soundcloud.com/jim_james/same-old-lie

Last minute and a half is pretty darn great. Not so sure about the first four and a half.

oistheone

I was expecting six minutes of batshit awfulness after reading some of these comments but man, this is a damn cool song! I've never heard Jim's vocals sound so restrained. Pretty cool that after over 15 years recording, we can still get completely new sounds out of Jim! I dig! Very refreshing production too. Like nothing I've heard before.

Also interesting to see that the eastern-sounding pseudo-sax-synth sound thing has carried over from Regions.

Nikkogino

Quote from: oistheone on Sep 23, 2016, 11:20 PM
I was expecting six minutes of batshit awfulness after reading some of these comments but man, this is a damn cool song! I've never heard Jim's vocals sound so restrained. Pretty cool that after over 15 years recording, we can still get completely new sounds out of Jim! I dig! Very refreshing production too. Like nothing I've heard before.

Also interesting to see that the eastern-sounding pseudo-sax-synth sound thing has carried over from Regions.

I agree.  I dig it.  If the whole album is like this I'll be bummed, but I'm sure Jim has some cool shit in store on this one.

Cameron

Awful. I have enough stuff signed by Jim so I'll just buy from my local store.

APR

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 23, 2016, 01:03 PM
Its sad.  Jim's website store, via Wonderful Union, has the LP for $30, add $15 for a signed copy, and the cheapest shipping is $7.  Then, there are other "fees"?  If I had preordered the signed vinyl from his web store, the total was $54.54!  That is criminal.

Amazon doesn't have it listed yet, but I signed up for an email alert when they do have it available to order. 

The cost is part of the problem.  The other part is that if someone receives a defective/creased item, it seems like the customer service is totally lacking (they don't seem willing to replace the damaged item or try to make good in any way).

APR

I agree oistheone..... damn cool song.  It's totally stuck in my head.  I like the beat. 

Jim's voice is so powerful, that this whispering style is a total departure.  And the last minute and half, which reminds me of Regions of Light, is totally different than the first four minutes of the song.   I believe this is the first song with a curse word in the lyrics.  Or am I forgetting a song?  So a lot of contrasts compared to his other work (both MMJ and solo). 

I bet the other eight songs on the album are totally different than this one.  I can't wait to listen and find out on Nov 4.  JJ..... constantly evolving and doing new things and creating new sounds and being sincere.  I love it.

WickedMessenger

I think the song matches his statement about the album dealing with issues of the day and the release date basically coinciding with the coming election. Same Old Lies seems a bit simple but some of my favorite songs like Only Memories and Wonderful are simple but undeniably awesome. Looking forward to hearing the album!

Nikkogino

Quote from: APR on Sep 24, 2016, 03:42 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 23, 2016, 01:03 PM
Its sad.  Jim's website store, via Wonderful Union, has the LP for $30, add $15 for a signed copy, and the cheapest shipping is $7.  Then, there are other "fees"?  If I had preordered the signed vinyl from his web store, the total was $54.54!  That is criminal.

Amazon doesn't have it listed yet, but I signed up for an email alert when they do have it available to order. 

The cost is part of the problem.  The other part is that if someone receives a defective/creased item, it seems like the customer service is totally lacking (they don't seem willing to replace the damaged item or try to make good in any way).

What is the same old lie that Jim speaks of?

It's that Wonderful Union is worthy of your business.

buymycar

Quote from: APR on Sep 24, 2016, 03:50 PM
I believe this is the first song with a curse word in the lyrics.  Or am I forgetting a song?

Oh shit, run thru the ghetto...

Mr. White

Quote from: buymycar on Sep 25, 2016, 02:22 AM
I believe this is the first song with a curse word in the lyrics.  Or am I forgetting a song?

Plus, Steam Engine with GD and Bermuda Highway with the F word.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

APR

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 25, 2016, 11:25 AM

I realized BH shortly after I stepped away from the computer.  But totally forgot Run Thru, which is one of my absolute all time favorites.....That's unforgivable.  Thanks buymycar for reminding me of that one and of my forgetfulness.

walterfredo

It's called the dark, it's not a sunny day for the dark
Let in the dark, then you can sleep and fuck and park

gardenparty

turns out Jims got the mouth of a dirty sailor :smiley:

buymycar

Quote from: APR on Sep 25, 2016, 06:54 PM
Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 25, 2016, 11:25 AM

I realized BH shortly after I stepped away from the computer.  But totally forgot Run Thru, which is one of my absolute all time favorites.....That's unforgivable.  Thanks buymycar for reminding me of that one and of my forgetfulness.

You're welcome, but to be fair, I had no idea that he was saying "shit" in that song until I read the lyrics in the recent remix of ISM.

RobRoy286

Listening to the Pioneertown show and holllyyyyy fuq, this album is gonna be good.

bartel

seems as though the new album will be a good one