We ain't getting any younger
Eternally even

Do you love me (chuck berry)
Promised land (chuck berry)
Actress
Down on the bottom
State of the art

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

gluvmiller

the Slowdown
Omaha, NE
Nov 30, 2016

Hide in Plain Sight
Know Til Now
Same Old Lie
In the Moment
A New Life
World's Smilin'
True Nature
Dear One
Here in Spirit
Younger
Eternally

encore:
Jim Solo (have not received details)
Of the Mother
Dear God
Down on the Bottom
State of the Art

superfrodies

Minneapolis, MN - State Theater - Dec. 1 2016

Hide in Plain Sight
Same Old Lie
A New Life
Actress
True Nature
Know Til Now
The World's Smiling Now
In the Moment
Dear One
Here in Spirit
We Ain't Getting Any Younger Pt. 1
We Ain't Getting Any Younger Pt. 2
Eternally Even

Encore:
The Beautiful Ones (Prince & the Revolution cover) --> You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Bob Dylan cover)*
Of the Mother Again
Down on the Bottom (The New Basement Tapes cover)
State of the Art (A.E.I.O.U)

* Jim solo

I was at the show and had the great fortune of being in the third row. It was a beautiful night at the State Theater. Jim controlled the stage - roaming, shuffling, dancing - as he takes on more of a balladeer role playing as a solo artist than when he is with the Jackets. He seemed a bit subdued, dare I say melancholy, during the opening two songs. Once he strapped on the acoustic guitar for A New Life, though, he gained some energy and kept it the rest of the night.

One of the highlights for me was when he came out solo for the encore and played an intimate, sometimes funny, rendition of Prince's "Beautiful Ones," which he segued seemlessly into Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go." The evening capped off with "State of the Art" done MMJ-style and it brought the house down. Twin Limb did a fine job backing him up, knowing how to perfectly lay back in the mix but also being able to crank it to 11 at all the right times.

Can't wait to see Jim James again, with or without MMJ. He is always a treasure.

Stevie

This is becoming one hell of a tour.  I love what he's doing with that first slot of the encore. 

BH

This jambase article picks up my Chuck Berry video after just a couple hours posted and also confirms that Jim sang Conor Oberst's Kathy With A K's Song.   If anyone else knows more about he Omaha encore, please let us know!   Article also has videos of covers from Omaha and Minneapolis.  Pretty sweet. 

http://www.jambase.com/article/jim-james-covers-bright-eyes-in-omaha-and-prince-bob-dylan-in-minneapolis

Let's make some predictions on who he will cover in the following remaining cities!!!  I'm going with M Ward in Portland.   

Denver, CO
Missoula, MT
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Los Angeles, CA
Las Vegas, NV
Tempe, AZ
Austin, TX
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
New Orleans, LA
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

slimharpo

I've followed Jim and MMJ since It Still Moves, but signed up on this board just to say I can't recall the last time music moved me the way it did on Thursday night. It hit me way down inside. My head pulsated, hairs stood up, my heart soared, my eyes welled.

This tour is an absolutely transcendent artistic statement. I watched from the first row balcony with my girlfriend, and we were both totally spellbound.

"Eternally Even" is the "What's Going On" of our time. My reaction to these songs ran so deep, was so immediate and profound. It's an instant classic--this man has his finger on the pulse, and the selection of song's he's playing take flight live in ways I can't even begin to describe.

And watching Jim prowl/stalk/lurch across the stage was such a kick to watch. This guy is so, ahem, in the moment right now, you can't help but be inspired after absorbing this presentation...

My girl and I watched the MMJ episode of American Dad last night and were literally in tears laughing so hard because that's EXACTLY how we felt on Thursday. "I feel everything." Jim was singing just for us!

Bravo, Jim James.

In other words, DO NOT miss this tour.

johnnYYac

https://www.facebook.com/vicki.thomas1/videos/593262535896/

Here's video from a friend next to me at Omaha. Jim opened the encore set solo acoustic cover of Bright Eyes - Kathy with a K's Song.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Cameron

Quote from: BH on Dec 02, 2016, 06:02 PM
This jambase article picks up my Chuck Berry video after just a couple hours posted and also confirms that Jim sang Conor Oberst's Kathy With A K's Song.   If anyone else knows more about he Omaha encore, please let us know!   Article also has videos of covers from Omaha and Minneapolis.  Pretty sweet. 

http://www.jambase.com/article/jim-james-covers-bright-eyes-in-omaha-and-prince-bob-dylan-in-minneapolis

Let's make some predictions on who he will cover in the following remaining cities!!!  I'm going with M Ward in Portland.   

Denver, CO
Missoula, MT
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Los Angeles, CA
Las Vegas, NV
Tempe, AZ
Austin, TX
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
New Orleans, LA

willie is a safe bet for austin, right?

gardenparty

Have the set times been pretty consistent?

Getting to DTLA on a Friday is never easy so want to be sure I know the set times in advance.

cy

The Wilma
Missoula, MT
December 5

Hide in Plain Sight
In the Moment
Same Old Lie
Know Til Now
Actress
True Nature
The World's Smiling Now
Dear One
Here in Spirit
We Ain't Getting Any Younger
Eternally Even

Encore:
Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain
Save the Last Dance for Me
Of the Mother Again
Down on the Bottom
State of the Art

BH

Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain!!!   Seriously?    Red Headed Stranger is my favorite Willie album.   Reminds me of my childhood as my mom and dad played it all the time.    Videos please!!!

APR

Quote from: Cameron on Dec 05, 2016, 02:22 PM
Quote from: BH on Dec 02, 2016, 06:02 PM

Denver, CO
Missoula, MT
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Los Angeles, CA
Las Vegas, NV
Tempe, AZ
Austin, TX
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
New Orleans, LA

willie is a safe bet for austin, right?

And I'm thinking Prince and Dylan in MN, Chuck Berry in St. L...... how about Pearl Jam tonight in Seattle!

BH

Quote from: APR on Dec 06, 2016, 04:36 PM
how about Pearl Jam tonight in Seattle!

That would be perfect.   

I'd also take Alice and Chains or Mother Love Bone.     He usually picks older stuff, Heart maybe?

BH

I know he wasn't born there but how about some Gram Parsons in LA.   I'd kill to hear Hot Burrito #1 again.

BH

APR

Great call on the Elvis cover in Vegas BH.  How about Sleater-Kinney in Portland? 

Of course add Nirvana to the AIC and MLB possibilities in Seattle.   Older stuff like Heart or Hendrix is my prediction too.  Eddie tends to pop in on bands he likes that come to Seattle.  I'd love an EV cameo.

Mellow Eagles tune (perhaps Peaceful Easy Feelin') in LA.  Tool or Rage Against the Machine would be insane/too aggressive...... not much love going on there for it to be even a chance.   

walterfredo

Didn't see last night setlist, but a friend sent me a clip of Jim and Brandi Carlile singing The times they are a-changin'

dontgetupset

Pretty terrible IMHO. Definitely a bad choice of a song to match Brandi Carlisle's vocal tone and volume. Not even gonna comment on the whole reading lyrics off an iPad thing...

http://www.jambase.com/article/brandi-carlile-joins-jim-james-for-bob-dylan-cover-in-seattle

millerjustin

Quote from: dontgetupset on Dec 07, 2016, 04:15 PM
Pretty terrible IMHO. Definitely a bad choice of a song to match Brandi Carlisle's vocal tone and volume. Not even gonna comment on the whole reading lyrics off an iPad thing...

http://www.jambase.com/article/brandi-carlile-joins-jim-james-for-bob-dylan-cover-in-seattle

pretty painful.  shrill.

she was "ok" at RR in 2015, as in she didn't completely mess up Wonderful, but she mostly just stood there tapping her leg while Jim took the audience into the ether on his own.
What's in here won't disappear