Main Menu

Neil Young

Started by Shug, Oct 07, 2016, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

I could not find a Neil Young thread, that's hard to believe there isn't one already, but we saw him last night in Tucson with Promise Of The Real and it was an epic mindblower of a show.

I had a good feeling about the show being in a relatively out of the way venue (7000 capacity outdoor amphitheater on the outskirts of town) and a warm up for Desert Trip and Bridge School concerts coming up.

I was also thinking and hearing reports that this young band led by Willie Nelson's sons are super-stoked to be living out their Crazy Horse fantasies (what young rock band worth anything wouldn't love to do that>?) and their passion and energy firing up Neil.

It was all true, they built on the great setlists in Utah and Idado the week before and added in some nuggets like Cortez the Killer, Cinnamon Girl, and Hey Hey My My. 

The show started with Neil displaying his songwriting and performance genius solo acoustic on piano and guitar for about 5 songs, all classics of his, full of drama, like the master crafstman that his is.  Then the band came out and laid down some sweet mellow country rock for another 6 songs before Neil strapped on his old black Les Paul and the heavy rock started to pour out.  Powderfinger was epic and long and filled with fantastic guitar jams between each verse with a long drawn out ending.  Promise Of The Real have learned to do an admirable impression of Crazy Horse, matching their lurching hunched over, heads down huddles of heavy riffing.  Love and Only Love went on for over 20 minutes and the band was tight, hitting all the changes in perfect time. Rockin' In The Free World had three false endings, it went on and on in glorious noise.  Neil was often smiling, clearly loving and feeling energized by playing with these young guys.
Many hardcore fans were saying this tour has been far better than the last couple Crazy Horse shows.  There may never be another Neil tour as good as this one, unless he keeps playing with these guys.  See it now if you can!

If I was in Southern California, I'd do everything I could to get to the shows in Pomona, CA midweek between the weekends of Desert Trip.

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

walterfredo

well thank you so much for posting this. I hadn't even caught wind of the Pomona shows, just scrambled over to the venue website to see that the Wednesday show was listed as Sold Out (only day I could swing it). But I clicked on the link anyway, and, maybe they just released some, but snagged 2 GA Pit tickets. Hell yes!!

Shug

Sweet, Walter !  Enjoy and report back if you feel like it👍   We were in the pit too,  sound was great a few folks back from the rail and it was cool to see them up close. Neil is a Master!

Mr. White

Hey Shug, It is oddly named, but we do still have the Neil Young Thread. Here it is. It's called, "Talkin' Bout Neil Young". I keep losing track of it too and have to do the search for "Neil Young" and stuff from the thread shows up. My brother got to see Neil Young play in Nashville at the Ascend Amphitheater back this past May.

http://mymorningjacket.net/index.php/topic,12702.0.html
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Shug

Thanks, knew it had to be there, weird that it didn't come up in a search. 

APR

I saw Neil for the first time last fall.  It was with Promise of the Real, and the show was excellent.  It far exceeded my expectations.  I had never heard the new stuff and liked it better than I thought.  And it was great to see some classics in person.

Check out Neil with McCartney from the other night at Desert Trip:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/see-mccartney-young-play-beatles-classic-at-desert-trip-w444043

oistheone

Holy fuck that setlist looks amazing!! What a switchup from the rest of the shows he's done with POTR. I am DYING INSIDE that I chose the financially responsible route of coming back home after Desert Trip W1 rather than bumming around California for another week and hitting up a Neil Pomona show.

brob

The show was insane. So good. Neil is at the top of his game right now with POTR. If you ever get a chance go see POTR on their own.

Shug

Was Cortez and Cinnamon Girl done solo at the first night of Pomona?  Wow.  Fuckin' Up and Piece of Crap in the same show, ha ha ha ha!

walterfredo

Quote from: Shug on Oct 14, 2016, 12:14 PM
Was Cortez and Cinnamon Girl done solo at the first night of Pomona?  Wow.  Fuckin' Up and Piece of Crap in the same show, ha ha ha ha!

with band. Cinnamon Girl was rather short but Cortez rocked out for a long time.

Shug

Did he do the first few songs solo or did the band come out right from the start?  That looks like a really great setlist with Cowgirl In The Sand and Roll Another Number and all the others.  Nice one, glad you guys scored a hot show!

walterfredo

Band was out the whole time. Even when he busted out his acoustic for songs like hank to Hendrix I think they stayed out (if I remember correctly)

Cowgirl in the sand may have been my highlight of the show. Rocked it so hard.

brob

Yes, they even stayed out during the acoustic numbers. He played Like an Inca for 26 minutes to start the show.  I still can't believe how good it was....and Shug I'm pretty sure my wife and I were standing next to you at the MMJ shows in SF last year.

manonthemoon

Any word on what's ailing the man?
Alive or Just Breathing

Murph

Quote from: manonthemoon on Apr 05, 2017, 07:31 PM
Any word on what's ailing the man?

I haven't read anything. One would have to assume that it is at least semi-serious to keep him from inducting PJ though...

walterfredo

Young's representative has now confirmed to Pitchfork that he "has not been feeling well, but his illness is nothing major."

manonthemoon

That's good news I think, just been a little nervous since he canceled his shows for this year and then this came up. 
Alive or Just Breathing

Shug

Quote from: brob on Oct 15, 2016, 07:08 PM
Yes, they even stayed out during the acoustic numbers. He played Like an Inca for 26 minutes to start the show.  I still can't believe how good it was....and Shug I'm pretty sure my wife and I were standing next to you at the MMJ shows in SF last year.

I hope I was a good concert goer to you brob.  I like to rock out.  But I don't like to talk.  A clueless friend seeing MMJ for the first time tried to talk to me during War Begun and I had to shut that shit RIGHT DOWN!

Murph

Has everyone checked out this Archive that Neil put up?  It is the most comprehensive collection I could ever imagine and just so awesome.  Can spend hours digging around, reading, listening...  Soo, so cool Neil!

https://www.neilyoungarchives.com