Johnny Yac's Blood Drive

Started by johnnYYac, Oct 14, 2016, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Two years ago, on October 14, 2014, I almost died...

artwork by Sean Friel
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Two years ago, on October 14, 2014, I almost died...

Heart surgery with serious complications put me on life support.  Damage to vital organs caused massive bleeding.  The night before surgery to fix one of the sources of bleeding, a cardiac ICU nurse counted the number of units of blood I'd had transfused so far...

204 units...  an average of 8.5 units of blood per day!

The total amount of blood in an average human is 10 units.

My life was saved, every one of those 24 days, by the generous donations of blood by 204 strangers- people who took time out of their day to donate blood, to help others... to save me.

The sad irony?  I can no longer give blood.  After decades of being an active donor, due to the medical treatments I underwent and the medicines I now take, I can never donate blood again...

Help me pay back those 204 people, so that blood is there for the next person, so that blood is there for you, your loved ones, or some other stranger in need.

Please give blood.  Contact the American Red Cross to find a donor opportunity near you.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood

johnnYYac

A message from The Jactivists
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1722248424693431/

The Jacktivists are proud to be working with and supporting Johnny Yac on his blood donation mission. We will be hosting a blood drive before the Carl Broemel show at SPACE in Evanston, with details to follow. Johnny has always been one of the most dedicated, insightful, and considerate members of this family, and we are so grateful for his continued recovery, and wish him nothing but good health and many years ahead with his wife and children.

Anyone who donates, please send us a selfie or a little note showing you donated so that we can keep a running weekly tally to try to meet our very ambitious goal of 204 donors by November 18th!!!

A huge "thank you" goes out to Sean Friel for creating this epic artwork. It was above and beyond any of our expectations, and we really appreciate his time and talent.

#jacktivists
#johnnyyacblooddrive
#givelovegiveblood

johnnYYac

On this 2-year mark, I was going to post a little reminder to give blood, but some folks over at the MMJ fan-created philanthropic entity The Jacktivists took it to the next level.  The statement is mine, but the artwork and promotion is them.  Huge thanks to everyone involved and anyone who donates.  Special thanks to Kelly Downes and Alison Motta of The Jactivists and to Sean Friel for the artwork.  I love my MMJ family so very much.

ericm

Great thread John, and really good to see this community banding together once again for a great cause.

Like you, because of medications I'm on, I'm not allowed to donate blood right now either. I will however take a cue from my daughter (who also isn't allowed to donate blood) and volunteer some of my time at a local blood drive whenever I can.

I probably never would've thought to do that but thanks to her I can now find a way to also contribute, just in a different way.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

johnnYYac

Quote from: ericm on Oct 15, 2016, 02:39 PM
Great thread John, and really good to see this community banding together once again for a great cause.

Like you, because of medications I'm on, I'm not allowed to donate blood right now either. I will however take a cue from my daughter (who also isn't allowed to donate blood) and volunteer some of my time at a local blood drive whenever I can.

I probably never would've thought to do that but thanks to her I can now find a way to also contribute, just in a different way.  :beer:
Thanks, Eric.  Same here.  There's many ways to help, but we're hoping we can get  204 or more people to donate in the next 5 weeks, symbolically repaying my debt.  My mom donates as much as she can.  Michele can't, because she lived in Scotland for a time during college (mad cow precaution). 

If anyone from the Forum does donate blood in the next 5 weeks (by November 18), let us know by posting here a selfie or other notice, or go to The Jacktivist page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1722248424693431/

Many thanks to Tom and Patrick for retweeting about this effort.

Soulshine

DONE AND DONE. Anything for you. Love you Johnny  :wink:

(I'll send you my selfie, since you's know I don't do FB)  :kiss:
Because we're all in this together...

johnnYYac

Quote from: Soulshine on Oct 18, 2016, 10:52 PM
DONE AND DONE. Anything for you. Love you Johnny  :wink:

(I'll send you my selfie, since you's know I don't do FB)  :kiss:

johnnYYac

Bump.  9 days to go!  Hoping to reach our goal of 204 or more blood donors by November 18.  If you can, please give blood and let me know you did, so it can be included in the total.  Thanks!

johnnYYac

Three years ago today, I almost died...

Heart surgery with serious complications put me on life support for 10 days. Damage to vital organs caused massive bleeding. The night before surgery to fix one of the sources of bleeding, a cardiac ICU nurse counted the number of units of blood I'd had transfused so far...204 units... an average of 8.5 units of blood per day!

My life was saved, every one of those 24 days, by the generous donations of blood by 204 strangers- people who took time out of their day to donate blood, to help others... to save me. The sad irony? I can no longer give blood. After decades of being an active donor, due to the medical treatments I underwent and the medicines I now take, I can never donate blood again...

Help me pay back those 204 people, so that blood is there for the next person, so that blood is there for you, your loved ones, or some other stranger in need. Please give blood. Contact the American Red Cross to find a donor opportunity near you. http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood

johnnYYac

As I have done each year since that fateful day of October 14, 2014...

Just over four years ago, I almost died.

Part of what saved my life was the transfusion of over 200 units of blood over three weeks. That blood came from hundreds of donors. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to donate blood. So, I'm asking my friends to donate, if you can, and spread the word. Give blood, give life.