Tenneessee Fire Comp?

Started by sillydays, Oct 31, 2016, 09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillydays

So, Tenn Fire is one of the albums I have a tough time getting into and one of the last ones that I find myself listening to casually. 

Does anyone have recommendations on which songs I may have to go back and listen to live that can change my opinion?

I know that they have come such a long way from these beginning stages of the band and wonder if a new incarnation of the songs would change my viewpoint.

I just saw them in Asheville and got to hear "Picture of You", which I enjoyed, but it got me thinking. 

Do you have recommendations of songs they play off TF now that I can DL on Archive to listen to these songs in a new place?  I'm looking to just cherry pick some selections off there. 

vadermaul

Man, so many of the songs sound better live.  I would start w/:

I Think I'm Going to Hell
Butch Cassidy (Red Rocks 2012!)
The Dark
War Begun
Evelyn Is Not Real
They Ran
The Bear
HeartBreakin Man

MOWJO8185

I don't think there's one song on Tennessee Fire that sounds better on that album than live. Maybe If all else fails or I Will be there when you die.

gardenparty

This is the one album I would love to hear them re record.  Its basically demos

All mentioned above are so much better live now but don't sleep on this gem.  A perfect performance:

ericm

Quote from: vadermaul on Oct 31, 2016, 09:47 AM
Man, so many of the songs sound better live.  I would start w/:

I Think I'm Going to Hell
Butch Cassidy (Red Rocks 2012!)
The Dark
War Begun
Evelyn Is Not Real
They Ran
The Bear
HeartBreakin Man

I gotta add It's About Twilight Now to your list. Fantastic song, that kills live.
"Where's Jim going?"

BH

I've always loved the minimal production of TF and AD and all the little clicks and buzzes that go with it.  I think it sounds amazing as a "sit down, eyes closed, headphones experience".   The live versions are also completely different amazing animals but I wouldn't want the album any other way.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

oistheone

TF is perfect the way it is. It's the album that got me into MMJ. Spent many long nights riding trains into the city and staring off into the distance, contemplating life, with that and At Dawn as the soundtrack.

Almost every song on TF is a different beast live, but there's something about "They Ran" that can't ever be topped. Perfect mix of performance and production that fits the vibe perfectly. I'd argue that recording has that special "silo spook" more than anything else MMJ ever recorded.

RobRoy286

I would absolutely love to hear them re-do this album with the current line-up, but I also realize that would take away from the original album which is still great.

davymac

Quote from: BH on Nov 01, 2016, 10:31 AM
I've always loved the minimal production of TF and AD and all the little clicks and buzzes that go with it.  I think it sounds amazing as a "sit down, eyes closed, headphones experience".   The live versions are also completely different amazing animals but I wouldn't want the album any other way.

This ^

BH

Where else do you get to hear Jim sing three completely different vocal tracks all himself layered on top of each other.   That is magic that will just never be repeated.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

vadermaul

'They Ran' is such a special song.  To me it is a track ahead of its time for MMJ. 

I love the way TF sounds though.  Such a simple record and amazing debut.   

WinstonLegthigh

Tennessee Fire is magic. It was the first album of theirs that I listened to, and is still my favorite.