Music from Big Pink

Started by KarateDreamzShoNuff, Nov 21, 2016, 12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarateDreamzShoNuff

Currently finishing out my 3rd consecutive listen of the night. For my money this is the very best album of all time. 5 unbelievably talented guys playing so unselfishly, with an energy I've never heard matched on a studio album. Their 3 singers are probably my 3 favorite singers ever, Danko being my personal favorite. This album hits like nothing else and I think is the greatest example of music that makes you want to be in a band for the right reasons.

While I've been listening, I've just been thinking about how amazingly underappreciated The Band are. They're far from nobodies, and I think Levon received his due respect in the days leading up to and following his passing, but they're still so overlooked, even when casual listeners think of the greatest bands of the 60's and 70's. It seems like new bands are citing them more and more as a major influence so their spirit will live on in that sense (Nothing new; you don't have to look far to read about the impact this album had on so many of the biggest names in music at that time and in times to come). I guess my biggest gripe is since I'm younger, wish there were more information to sink my teeth into. I listen to this album and I want as much context as I can get. I wish there were a super legit biography that covered all of it (not one of the biographies from one of the members, but one that focused on the entire group, from beginning to end and after).

But man, that music.
Registration makes you spell 'acoustic' backwards?? That's bonkers. I'm naming my kid Citsouca-KDSN

CountSA

I know you just said you don't want a biography but "This Wheel's on Fire" is definitely the best rock n roll book I've ever read.

oistheone

There's a pretty good bio by Barney Hoskyns called Across the Great Divide. A lot of opinion but it's got some great stories.

I want to get the new Robbie Robertson autobiography but after reading through the samples, not sure I could stomach reading an entire 500 pages from that blowhard. One of my favorite guitarists of all-time, but man, he's on the Mount Rushmore of unlikable rock personalities.

ALSO - I submit Richard Manuel's "I Shall Be Released" vocals from the Festival Express soundtrack as the best recorded singing of all time.

Shug

Richard Manuel was one of the greatest soul singers of all time, I agree.

How about Tears of Rage? 

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Come Closer

Love Richard singing King Harvest at Robbie's (I think) house in Woodstock. Godly.

Rick is underrated, I'm a big fan of his solo LP.

Also I prefer the s/t album as far as The Band goes, but yeah this one's right there as well.

Come Closer

Also cosign CountSA, that's a must read.

KarateDreamzShoNuff

Manuel's best: "Tears of Rage," "I Shall Be Released," "The Shape I'm In,"
Levon's best: "Up on Cripple Creek," "When I Paint My Masterpiece," "Ophelia," "We Can Talk," "Don't Do It,"
Danko's best: "We Can Talk," "Don't Do It," "Across the Great Divide," "W.S. Walcott Medicine Show," "It Makes No Difference"

Some of those highlight performances are just on backing vocals.

Garth Hudson is an absolute legend in his own right.

And Robertson, douche-tastic though he is, is doing of some of the best guitar work ever. Never showy except when showy is exactly what the song needs, filling all the gaps in just the right way.
Registration makes you spell 'acoustic' backwards?? That's bonkers. I'm naming my kid Citsouca-KDSN

dookie shoot bandit

I know not on this specific album ... but how about the harmonization by Rick, Rich, and Levon, KILLING IT!!!!, on Acadian Driftwood.
God damn I love this Band!  :beer:

KarateDreamzShoNuff

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Nov 21, 2016, 09:41 PM
I know not on this specific album ... but how about the harmonization by Rick, Rich, and Levon, KILLING IT!!!!, on Acadian Driftwood.
God damn I love this Band!  :beer:

There's something just extra special about those songs where they're all 3 singing together. Like I said, my 3 favorite singers ever. So for them to all be in a band together and have that inimitable chemistry together that comes from playing together for so many years...there's just nothing like it in my opinion. While I think the other albums have their hits and misses, those first two are just perfection.

Varitek

Great Thread. On board with so many points made. I loved Across the Great Divide and This Wheel's On Fire for bios but I have no desire to read Robertson's book. Acadian Driftwood is such a special piece of music, the singing and how the story is told. It's funny how a bunch of Canadians and Levon made so many great songs steeped in Americana but just one drawing from Canadian roots. And lastly, Rock of Ages is one of the most important things that ever happened to me. That album just has absolutely everything for this music fan. I put that up there as one of the greatest live documents ever made.
"Did he just put on a cape?"