Main Menu

Forecastle 2017

Started by Emb1528, Dec 05, 2016, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emb1528

Lineup is dropping tomorrow. Anyone have speculation or word on who's playing??
Doesn't matter what you're doin', as long as you're losin' your head

LBSUNFLWR

Some combination of:
Radiohead
Tom Petty
MMJ
Bon Iver
Wilco
as headliners in my dreams!! :)

oistheone

Seems like LCD is a lock -- sweet! I've got my fingers crossed for Petty and of course, MMJ. Trying not to get my hopes up for the latter though.

LBSUNFLWR

Worst line-up I have ever seen.
HUGELY disappointed and don't plan to go to a festival 10 minutes from my house.

APR

That certainly was underwhelming.  I wouldn't go either even if it was five minutes from my house.

slappymoe

Yep, equally unimpressed. $150 saved.

Jbpats

Might be one of the worst lineups I've ever seen.
Hoping this isn't the common direction festivals go down, i feel like many have been underwhelming recently.

Hangout was pretty terrible this year also, at least IMO.. but not as bad as this.

DaydreamNation

Might buy a single day ticket for LCD Soundsytem but that would be the most I'd do. Pretty bad lineup.
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

oistheone

I'd almost guarantee that a headliner will be added down the line to bump Odesza to #4, playing right before LCD.

APR

Quote from: Jbpats on Dec 06, 2016, 02:02 PM
Might be one of the worst lineups I've ever seen.
Hoping this isn't the common direction festivals go down, i feel like many have been underwhelming recently.

Hangout was pretty terrible this year also, at least IMO.. but not as bad as this.

Good point on Hangout.  Hopefully this isn't a trend.  I think Shaky Knees will be good, solid rock.

LBSUNFLWR

No disrespect to anyone young, but it's like they geared the line-up this year toward high school and college kids.
I know I can't expect MMJ and Wilco every year, but I looked over the last 5 years line-ups and counted 5-8 bands each year that I really like and was excited to see. Most weren't even the headliners. Drastically underwhelming list this year, even more so because the last 5 years have been pretty awesome.
I'm disappointed to not be going this year. But there's too many bands I love who I could use this money to go see this summer instead.

oistheone

Festivals gotta book the artists who will sell tickets, it is the unfortunate reality. Certain fests will cater to "us folk" but the majority of popular music festivals (especially city day festivals) just gotta do what it takes to survive -- i.e. please the 18-25 yr olds.

DaydreamNation

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Dec 06, 2016, 08:26 PM
No disrespect to anyone young, but it's like they geared the line-up this year toward high school and college kids.
I know I can't expect MMJ and Wilco every year, but I looked over the last 5 years line-ups and counted 5-8 bands each year that I really like and was excited to see. Most weren't even the headliners. Drastically underwhelming list this year, even more so because the last 5 years have been pretty awesome.
I'm disappointed to not be going this year. But there's too many bands I love who I could use this money to go see this summer instead.
No disrespect taken. I'm 24 and think this lineup sucks. Don't recognize many artists on here and of the ones I do recognize there are four at most I have even a small  interest in seeing.

Went to Sunday of Forecastle last year and it was enough. Ryan Adams (who we went to see) and White Denim played great sets. Think I'm most likely to spend the money another way this summer though, I dunno.

11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

LBSUNFLWR

Seriously. How can you go from Headliners like Ryan Adams, MMJ, Wilco, Beck, Jack White, Widespread Panic over the last few years to a headliner I've never even heard of this year?
And I also don't recognize half these names, and the ones I do it's nothing more than a small interest in seeing.

I'll be curious to see who gets added later on, but still I doubt it will change my mind about going. And I hear what you're saying about catering to the younger crowd who buys the tickets...but the Bourbon and Beer vendors will be awfully quiet this year with a bunch of teenagers taking over the festival.

DaydreamNation

Well...I know I griped about the lineup, but then they added Sturgill and he's on the same day as the one headliner I'd like to see (LCD) so I might go just for Saturday after all. Wish Spoon or Oberst or John Moreland were on Saturday though.

LBSUNFLWR

I love Real Estate but their set will be short and not worth a single day ticket. Hopefully they'll be back around again.

DaydreamNation

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 01, 2017, 01:31 AM
I love Real Estate but their set will be short and not worth a single day ticket. Hopefully they'll be back around again.
There's been a really promising pattern of bands playing Louisville for the first time or first time in awhile via Forecastle then coming back for a regular show pretty soon!

LBSUNFLWR

Real Estate played Zanzabar a few years ago. It was also on my birthday and it was incredible. Would love to see them play there again. Or The Brown would be nice in the Fall. Not sure they'd sell enough tickets for The Brown though. I love that place!

DaydreamNation

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 08, 2017, 12:52 AM
Real Estate played Zanzabar a few years ago. It was also on my birthday and it was incredible. Would love to see them play there again. Or The Brown would be nice in the Fall. Not sure they'd sell enough tickets for The Brown though. I love that place!
I've only ever seen two shows at The Brown but one of them was Yo La Tengo with Calexico a few yrs back and wow that remains one of my all-time favorite shows to this day