Total Vinyl Pressings Question

Started by amskinz, Dec 10, 2016, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amskinz

Hopefully Johnny Yac or someone has the answers. Has anyone done the work to compile a list/chart/graph of how many records were pressed for each release? I'm not too deep in the vinyl wormhole (yet). I'm comfortable with only one copy of each release. I have the ISM, Circuital, and Waterfall box sets, so I don't (currently) feel the need to have a regular copy on hand. I think I have all the singles and EP's as well.
Just wondering how many of all these were made. I know the more recent stuff will have been made in much larger quantities because of the "boom". 500 seems to be the magic number on a lot of things. Discogs only helps so much with this type of thing, and contacting companies directly to ask this is pretty hit or miss.
Any help is much appreciated.
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

johnnYYac

I haven't done that level of research myself and would have likely referred you to Discogs as the best first stop on your quest for such info.  Generally, pressing numbers aren't made public unless they're pretty limited, like 1000 or less.  Each time Darla Records does a repress of TTF or AD, for example, they announce it as a pressing of 500 or whatever. 

Mind if I ask... why do you want that info?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

amskinz

Thanks for asking. I'm actually working on a research piece,which is well on its way to being a book, about vinyl from the early 90's to today. We're trying to cover all aspects. We're trying to stick with hard facts as much as possible, which isn't easy when it has to do with something you love so much (vinyl, and MMJ in this case). It's easy to slip your thoughts and beliefs in, but that's not what we're going for. I've taken a few of my favorite bands and tried finding the pressing amounts info for their whole catalog. Throughout the last 20 years there's been such a change in vinyl. It's amazing, sad, scary, and exciting all at once. Here's an example.  I love the band The Living End from Australia. They're one of the top 5 biggest acts in Aussie history. Their debut sold more than AC/DC's biggest album there. Side note: They've only had two albums released outside AU until this year when Music On Vinyl repressed their self titled debut (750 black and 750 red vinyl) in the Netherlands. With that exception, all their albums, on vinyl, have been released in AU with a total of 500 pressings of each! That's crazy on many levels to me. Especially with the massive appeal they had in their home country. But there was little to no market at the time these came out, 2001-2016, until fairly recently.
Sorry for the boring report. Thanks for at least responding Yac! Hopefully I'll be able to get some Jacket info in the final product. The US does have a much bigger and in depth market nowadays, so hopefully I can find some help somewhere.
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."