Main Menu

Shaky Knees 2017

Started by hoojack, Jan 10, 2017, 12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoojack

Shaky  Knees posted their 2017 lineup. The headliners are meh but a very solid undercard. I'll be interested to see how the daily lineup shakes out.

https://www.shakykneesfestival.com

MMJTX

great lineup! Definitely looking into going to this.
Anytime

parkervb

definitely in my "old man yells about nothing" stage seeing The Pixies as an undercard to The XX and Phoenix. 
Don't you ever turn it off

MMJTX

to anyone that went last year, specifically, traveled out there. Any tips and thoughts on a first timer thinking about going.
1. what hotel/airbnb/rental did you stay at?
2. when did you fly in and out?
3. car rental? or did you stay close enough to walk?

Thanks for any info!
Anytime

LBSUNFLWR

Maybe I'm just old but I think all festival line-ups look horrible this year!

WinstonLegthigh

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jan 11, 2017, 11:09 AM
You're not alone.

APR

Quote from: WinstonLegthigh on Jan 11, 2017, 11:25 AM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jan 11, 2017, 11:09 AM
You're not alone.

That means I'm not alone either because no festival looks good to me so far.  I had high hopes for Shaky Knees based on going the first two SK fests (and also because of last year's great lineup).

bonzai

The first 3 Shaky Knee's had killer lineups, but I was unable to make the trip. This is the first year I can make it, so despite the mediocre lineup, I'm still Atlanta bound in May.

Quote from: MMJTX on Jan 11, 2017, 10:33 AM
to anyone that went last year, specifically, traveled out there. Any tips and thoughts on a first timer thinking about going.

Thanks for any info!
I have not been, but I have read about it for a few years on another forum. Someone recently posted a bunch of neighborhoods to look in, but there's 38 pages and I gave up! (feel free to read it: http://inforoo.com/thread/35653/shaky-knees-2017). I do remember most people suggesting to stay on the Marta line rather than dealing with Ubers if you can't get a close hotel.

APR

Quote from: bonzai on Jan 11, 2017, 12:40 PM
The first 3 Shaky Knee's had killer lineups, but I was unable to make the trip. This is the first year I can make it, so despite the mediocre lineup, I'm still Atlanta bound in May.

Thanks for any info!
I have not been, but I have read about it for a few years on another forum. Someone recently posted a bunch of neighborhoods to look in, but there's 38 pages and I gave up! (feel free to read it: http://inforoo.com/thread/35653/shaky-knees-2017). I do remember most people suggesting to stay on the Marta line rather than dealing with Ubers if you can't get a close hotel.

Despite having been, I don't have any advice because the current location is not the same as it was for the first two years.  Plus I'm not from Atlanta and stayed with a friend in the burbs.  But I do recommend checking out the Atlanta Aquarium while you're there........ it is incredible.

bhyman

Quote from: APR on Jan 11, 2017, 01:37 PM
Quote from: bonzai on Jan 11, 2017, 12:40 PM

Thanks for any info!

Despite having been, I don't have any advice because the current location is not the same as it was for the first two years.  Plus I'm not from Atlanta and stayed with a friend in the burbs.  But I do recommend checking out the Atlanta Aquarium while you're there........ it is incredible.
I've been the past 3 years and this is the first year it is in the same location. I am an OTP (outside the perimeter) local so I always get a hotel room for the weekend.

1. Shop for hotels. Anything in the "downtown Atlanta" area is fine. I would just go for best price. I use Starwood points so I am booked at the Peachtree Westin, but you really can't go wrong anywhere downtown.
2. For cheaper hotels, you may be able to find a deal in midtown (there are more hotels there). Just make sure you are close to a MARTA stop, or are ok with using Uber/Lyft to get downtown. It is only $5-$10 at most, although surge pricing might be in effect after the headliners finish.
3. Do not book at an airport area hotel. Terrible hotels in bad areas for the most part, and not really convenient for MARTA.
4. I can't comment on AirBNB. I've never used it.
5. Flights to Atlanta are abundant and it is very easy to get to the venue area from the airport. MARTA leaves from the airport and you can get most anywhere using it.
6. Unless you are planning to visit someone, or traveling to the mountains before/after the festival, DO NOT RENT A CAR!!!! Mass transit around town is easy and Uber/Lyft drivers are everywhere. You will just end up paying high parking fees for something you will not even need. It also prevents the possibility of a DUI.

Come to town and have a good time. I'm pretty happy with the lineup again this year. Maybe not as good as other past lineups, but still pretty solid for the price. It may be my age but I've gotten tot he point where I really prefer this type of city festival over camping festivals. Completely different experiences but sleeping in a bed is an amazing way to end the day.