Trying to get a Phish fan into MMJ

Started by DaydreamNation, Feb 11, 2017, 03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaydreamNation

I have a buddy who adores Phish and the Dead but thinks MMJ is pretty boring. Help me convince him otherwise! He is trying to get me to like Phish more than I do and had me watch a live vid of "Funky Bitch" from Dick's in Denver a few years back (which I liked a lot, incidentally). I am vaguely literate when it comes to Phish and have a modest amount of enjoyment for some of their stuff but have never been wowed by them overall.

Anyway, looking for recommendations about an MMJ live vid to show him to blow him away right from the get-go. Since I don't know Phish as well, I don't know what aspect of MMJ is most likely to appeal to him. I had thought maybe a version of "Phone" from 2015/16 with the extended intro and noodling by Carl but can't find one with solid sound quality.

Thanks for the help!
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

ericm

The Phone from the Beacon Theater in 15 is other worldly.

I don't know if it can convince a Phish fan to get into MMJ or any other fan for that matter, but I've seen some great Phone's and the Beacon one was without a doubt the best one I've ever seen.
"Where's Jim going?"

dogwoody

Honestly you should tell him to watch Okonokos. If he doesn't like Okonokos then he doesn't like MMJ

Varitek

Quote from: dogwoody on Feb 11, 2017, 09:42 PM
Honestly you should tell him to watch Okonokos. If he doesn't like Okonokos then he doesn't like MMJ

Agree with this. Also, last years set at Lockn' won over a lot of Phish fans I know; that would be my suggestion for video....
"Did he just put on a cape?"

mmjatl

The only thing that worked for my buddy after 9 years trying was taking him to a show. Sent him a couple of mix cds of live stuff (Okonokos, Red Rocks 2012 amongst others).  This gave him a glimpse of what to expect. Gideon and War Begun were his favorites pre-show. He also really dug the Waterfall stuff (Compound, Infancy, Tropics).

We were in the pit basically 2nd row at the Verizon show in Dallas Fall, 2015. After that he was beyond sold. Pretty much bought most of the live downloads available and all albums.

He is still a huge phish fan (been so since '95) but every time we talk he is asking about the next time we can see MMJ.

Hope this helps.

teej

I'd echo the suggestions. The only way to truly get someone into MMJ to where they understand  is to take them to a show though [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parkervb

I'd just go with a slow inoculation by just playing it around them w/out saying much and let that moment hit them. If they don't like it, no biggie. But its hard to try to get someone to like something, they either do or they don't ya know? I don't like Phish overall (greatly respect them) but they have some songs and moments that I can get into and that's just how it's going to be.
Don't you ever turn it off

consigliare

There's a full video of MMJ's set from Lock'n 2016 somewhere on the intertubes ... this was the set wherein they stole Lock'n from Phish.  They destroyed it and melted the faces of many a Phish fan that evening, as well as the face of this MMJ fan.  Best show I have seen to date.

Of course, the others mentioned are good as well.