mmj and phish

Started by dogwoody, Jan 11, 2017, 08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogwoody

Do you think they listen to each other? I get the feeling Jim is more of an old school type of listener, despite his diverse taste in music. I wonder what MMJ thinks of Phish and vice versa? I'm wondering this because they share a lot of the same fans even though they're totally different. I've never heard either of them mention each other. I'm not a huge phish fan at all by the way, just an occasional listener.

walterfredo

As a huge fan of both bands, I don't think either band really spends much time listening to, or thinking about the other. I'm sure there is a mutual respect. That said, I can see Trey and Gordo appreciating MMJ, if there's any phish members that I think would listen to MMJ it would be them.

I think Lock'n converted many a phish fan to MMJ. And to a lesser extent, probably vice versa as well.

millerjustin

I'm also a huge phan - Trey was at one of the Beacon shows in November 2015, so I know he's a jacket fan.

I was hoping for a collaboration at Lockn in August, but it didn't happen (and curiously, none of the jacket boys mixed it up, but page and fishman sat in with Phil and Mike did a backstage bass off with Phil and Dave Schools)

outside of festivals, not sure where their paths would cross - I'd say highest chance would be Jim sitting in with TAB maybe?
What's in here won't disappear

APR

I can't think of any other leaders besides Jim and Trey who have music just constantly pouring out.  It's like they're working/creating because they have to........their main bands, the side projects, solo projects, producing, changing the setlists , working and playing new covers, etc.

millerjustin

Quote from: APR on Jan 12, 2017, 01:05 PM
I can't think of any other leaders besides Jim and Trey who have music just constantly pouring out.  It's like they're working/creating because they have to........their main bands, the side projects, solo projects, producing, changing the setlists , working and playing new covers, etc.

agreed 100% - both very prolific (and currently healthy and seemingly happy!)

walterfredo

hadn't heard trey was at the beacon, but not surprised. He likes to get out and see music of all varieties in NYC. Very cool.

APR

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 12, 2017, 01:37 PM
hadn't heard trey was at the beacon, but not surprised. He likes to get out and see music of all varieties in NYC. Very cool.

He was at Pearl Jam at MSG last spring.

Yes Justin..... prolific is the word I was looking for.  I'm not a phish fan, but I read a Phish biography, and it seems clear that Trey creates for the love of music and just can't stop learning and improving (just like JJ).

millerjustin

yeah - forget which night (2nd?), but I talked with Danny Clinch in the lobby for a few minutes, stood in line for beers with Christopher Mintz-Plasse, saw and waved to Trey, and then stood one row in front of David Fricke - was kinda surreal

walterfredo

Quote from: millerjustin on Jan 12, 2017, 01:55 PM

yeah - forget which night (2nd?), but I talked with Danny Clinch in the lobby for a few minutes, stood in line for beers with Christopher Mintz-Plasse, saw and waved to Trey, and then stood one row in front of David Fricke - was kinda surreal

very cool. I saw Fricke at T5 as well. He's a fan.

Christopher Mintz-Plasse was in front of my wife and I at the Mack Sennet Studio KCRW show as well, also a huge fan.

Murph

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 12, 2017, 04:24 PM
Quote from: millerjustin on Jan 12, 2017, 01:55 PM

very cool. I saw Fricke at T5 as well. He's a fan.

Christopher Mintz-Plasse was in front of my wife and I at the Mack Sennet Studio KCRW show as well, also a huge fan.

My buddy and I bumped into Bo and McLovin in the street a few hours before one of the Beacon shows.  Ended up walking a couple blocks with him (Bo vanished unfortunately).  Nice kid, huge fan, said he was going to all the Beacon shows.

RobRoy286

Phish rules. Lockn was a dream. Who knows if Phish and Jacket will ever be at the same place again (let alone Ween).  I went with a group of friends who all loved Phish but had never seen MMJ or even heard a ton of their music. After the weekend they all told me Jacket stole the weekend.

Hatfield

I am sure Trey listens to and enjoys MMJ.  He is such a fan of bands who staying true and pushing rock in the right direction.  God bless Trey Anastasio!

I've always wanted MMJ to bustout First Tube.  Would be so bad ass!