Roll Call - Columbus - August 10

Started by MateoDeKY, Mar 14, 2017, 01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountSA

Quote from: Mr. White on Aug 11, 2017, 10:23 AM

"A LITTLE "I MISS YOU ALL" LETTER TO COLUMBUS
POSTED ON AUGUST 10, 2017 BY RENO"

http://clintonreno.com/blog/2017/08/10/a-little-i-miss-you-all-letter-to-columbus/

That poster is amazing.
Also, it's up for sale in his web shop if anyone is looking:
http://clintonreno.com/prints/my-morning-jacket-columbus/

iLikeBeer

Really dug the show last night.  I always feel like they just bring it when they play that venue.  The energy in that place last night was freaking electric, from the fans to the band!

And Jim even gave us some banter including how he loves to pay a visit to the 2 elephants who reside at 'Good Ale' park as he referred to it!!!   :beer:

When I was thinking back to that 2012 performance and reliving it on the drive down, it hit me that they hadn't played that venue since that epic night in 2012 and they definitely brought it again last night!  Maybe not quite the epic setlist but they sure played their asses off!!!

And having seen them earlier on the tour in Cleveland, last night was head and shoulders above what I saw in Cleveland.  I really think the guys feed off of the energy of the crowd and I just didn't get that electricity from the crowd in Cleveland that was evident from the first note all the way through last night in C'bus!

Highlight of the show for me was Gentle on My Mind > Golden and Jim explaining how mind blown he was the first time he heard that song and how it inspired him to write Golden!  Gave me chills!!!

DaydreamNation

Kinda glad I skipped this one. I'm sure it was a great show (always is!) but that setlist is almost entirely songs I've already seen at least once this summer
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

MOWJO8185

Pretty stoked to get this tape in 2022.

brocklanders

Agreed with Beer.  I had the same experience.  They seemed so in sync and the energy was so reminiscent of 2012.  Its certainly the venue.  Saw them in Cbus in 2015 at the Palace and the vibe was no where near the same.

Probably the highlight of my night was bringing another couple with us for their first show.  They are fans of good music but, until last night, they weren't big MMJ fans.  Had two extra tickets and invited them along.  They were in a state of shock and awe on the drive home.
Was cool to witness that. 

rkwedge

Quote from: brocklanders on Aug 11, 2017, 04:16 PM
Agreed with Beer.  I had the same experience.  They seemed so in sync and the energy was so reminiscent of 2012.  Its certainly the venue.  Saw them in Cbus in 2015 at the Palace and the vibe was no where near the same.

Probably the highlight of my night was bringing another couple with us for their first show.  They are fans of good music but, until last night, they weren't big MMJ fans.  Had two extra tickets and invited them along.  They were in a state of shock and awe on the drive home.
Was cool to witness that. 
Always fun to bring newbies to a MMJ show. You can try and try but you cannot explain this band to someone, they just have to witness it for themselves before they get it. Glad you got two more hooked :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

ericm

Quote from: gardenparty on Aug 11, 2017, 02:57 PM
Quote from: ericm on Aug 11, 2017, 01:48 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Aug 11, 2017, 10:51 AM
Quote from: rkwedge on Aug 11, 2017, 09:52 AM
Quote from: ericm on Aug 11, 2017, 09:00 AM
I'm not one to complain about setlists, and sure, there are always gonna be songs I want to get at a show and others I'm not as thrilled about when they're played. However, I respect artists talent and right to choose what they want to play on a given night and when I'm at a show, I'm thrilled to be there seeing them perform live.

Having said that, and looking at last nights setlist and seeing (end of) Run Thru instead of a full Run Thru I can't help but be bummed. I can't stand when it's done like that and would prefer a full Run Thru every 4-5 shows than a balls cut off "end of" every show. For me, a big part of what makes that song so amazing is the first part and lead into the ending.

I've seen other bands do similar things with songs and I feel the same way then. Either do the whole thing or not but "part of" never works for me.

OHHHHHH Shit Run, I agree, that song starts with that one guitar note by Carl that is bone chilling and you know immediately what's coming. Do not cut it in half. My first and only "Rollin Back" was a 1:08 intro then cut off into "The Way He Sings" it was like getting kicked in the ....'s

End of Run Thru needs to DIE. That is all.

Brilliant minds......  :wink:  :beer:
I'd certainly prefer the whole song as well.   But...its much better than Steam>OMR>Steam

I don't know about that. I'd definitely prefer Steam straight through but at least with the Steam>OMR>Steam you get the whole Steam.  Just End of Run Thru makes a gelding out of a Stallion IMO.
"Where's Jim going?"

SmokinShootin

This was my 8th show (9th? I'd have to do some serious thinking) and I decided to bring my uncle who has great taste in music. He was pretty much unfamiliar with all their material and didn't want to get there too early. We started past the pit area and wound up right in front of Carl after people cleared out in before the encore. He left comparing them to when he saw the Who and the Kinks (his favorite bands) in their prime.

rmpotsy

Quote from: Crispy on Aug 11, 2017, 10:51 AM
Quote from: rkwedge on Aug 11, 2017, 09:52 AM
Quote from: ericm on Aug 11, 2017, 09:00 AM
I'm not one to complain about setlists, and sure, there are always gonna be songs I want to get at a show and others I'm not as thrilled about when they're played. However, I respect artists talent and right to choose what they want to play on a given night and when I'm at a show, I'm thrilled to be there seeing them perform live.

Having said that, and looking at last nights setlist and seeing (end of) Run Thru instead of a full Run Thru I can't help but be bummed. I can't stand when it's done like that and would prefer a full Run Thru every 4-5 shows than a balls cut off "end of" every show. For me, a big part of what makes that song so amazing is the first part and lead into the ending.

I've seen other bands do similar things with songs and I feel the same way then. Either do the whole thing or not but "part of" never works for me.

OHHHHHH Shit Run, I agree, that song starts with that one guitar note by Carl that is bone chilling and you know immediately what's coming. Do not cut it in half. My first and only "Rollin Back" was a 1:08 intro then cut off into "The Way He Sings" it was like getting kicked in the ....'s

End of Run Thru needs to DIE. That is all.

Fully agree.  That being said, of the 5 or 6 I've seen, it was the best (end of) run thru by a wide margin.  Seemed to have a whole other energy
out go the lights it begins

Mr. White

I took my poster outside and propped it up against the remains of a really big tree we got cut down recently (wanted to avoid most of the reflections on the glass/plastic I was getting in the house). This one is fantastic! It also goes very well with our living room/dining room decorations/carpet, etc. Thanks Clinton! We love you!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

LBSUNFLWR