OBH First Song?

Started by rumdiesel, Jan 27, 2017, 09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: ericm on Jan 27, 2017, 03:52 PM
Quote from: jimsflyingv on Jan 27, 2017, 11:15 AM
The band is very sensitive regarding political matters maybe they play a protest song against Trump being in Mexico at a time were US/Mexico relations are getting more and more tense......
They usually play lots of Cover songs at OBH and they also have started with covers as well so it must not be that they start with one of their songs.

Coming to think of it "Keep on rocking in the free world" would be good choice though......

Trump is going to be in Mexico? And if he was going there, why would they play a song protesting that?

Good one Eric!  Maybe to keep him from reentry?

Are you making your way down to old Mexico Eric?  Have you been to a OBH before? I couldn't remember.

walterfredo

The band is very sensitive regarding political matters maybe they play a protest song against Trump being in Mexico at a time were US/Mexico relations are getting more and more tense......
They usually play lots of Cover songs at OBH and they also have started with covers as well so it must not be that they start with one of their songs.

Coming to think of it "Keep on rocking in the free world" would be good choice though......

I agree, and below is my guess.

Quote from: Zutroy on Jan 27, 2017, 10:10 PM
Another brick in the Wall.

Duh.

Quote from: teej on Jan 27, 2017, 01:58 PM
Lawyers, Guns and Money

...and this would be amazing too.

ericm

Quote from: unravelled on Jan 28, 2017, 10:01 AM
Quote from: ericm on Jan 27, 2017, 03:52 PM

Trump is going to be in Mexico? And if he was going there, why would they play a song protesting that?

Good one Eric!  Maybe to keep him from reentry?

Are you making your way down to old Mexico Eric?  Have you been to a OBH before? I couldn't remember.

Haha, didn't think of the reentry part and that's as good a reason as any.  :grin:

No, I haven't been to an OBH yet and I won't be there this year either but thanks for asking. I try and spend my winter vacations in Florida with my daughter but maybe one of these years I'll get the whole family there.   :thumbsup:

Enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Bulldog

Welcome Home.....

Seems appropriate, I think we will get plenty of covers, but guessing an original this year.

APR

I predict it's going to be One Big Holiday.  That was my prediction last year too.  It's going to be hard to top Ride Like the Wind. 

RobRoy286

Quote from: bobmono on Jan 27, 2017, 04:09 PM
Tropics
This. Been thinking it would be a great opener since I first heard it. OBH would be the perfect setting for it.

bobmono

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jan 30, 2017, 09:48 AM
Quote from: bobmono on Jan 27, 2017, 04:09 PM
Tropics
This. Been thinking it would be a great opener since I first heard it. OBH would be the perfect setting for it.

Agreed.  When I first heard the song I thought it was a perfect opener for the next OBH!

slappymoe

"Mexico," James Taylor?

Too obvious?

alexzbik

i would love if they opened night 1 with I Will Sing You Songs
Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.

millerjustin

Prince's Let's Go Crazy

"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here..."
What's in here won't disappear

sillyboob

Quote from: alexzbik on Feb 02, 2017, 09:11 AM
i would love if they opened night 1 with I Will Sing You Songs

They just need to play I Will Sing You Songs.  Seen them 5 times and I've yet to hear it live, and it's the song that got me into MMJ!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

bhyman

While I think there will be a political statement throughout the weekend, I think the opener might be 60's cover with political overtones. Maybe something like "Turn, Turn, Turn" from the Byrds (Husker Du style?), or  Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth". I'd be down with either of those.

Although it has been done recently, and is overtly political, check out this video of Pink Floyd "Pigs" by Roger Waters. this would also be a killer opener, but not expecting it.

Crispy

Heartbreakin' opener!  :cheesy:

Where's Capn Scotty when we need him?

:bath:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

millerjustin

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 02, 2017, 01:24 PM

THIS  (PC throwback)
What's in here won't disappear

Crispy

Quote from: millerjustin on Feb 02, 2017, 02:19 PM

THIS  (PC throwback)

:thumbsup:

Plus the easy T5 pick shoutout to Scotty.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

piton87

Whens the last time they played Evelyn is not real?
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Crispy

Quote from: piton87 on Feb 02, 2017, 04:30 PM
Whens the last time they played Evelyn is not real?

I just happen to have been working on my database lately...
11/28/2015   Beacon Theater   New York City

The last (known) time they opened with it was:
3/18/2002   Hi-Ho Lounge   New Orleans

ALady

Gonna back-5 you so hard tomorrow, mister!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Crispy

Quote from: ALady on Feb 02, 2017, 06:58 PM

Gonna back-5 you so hard tomorrow, mister!

Yeeowwch! How about a hug instead?

Jtuppy

"Washington Bullets" - The Clash

I registered just to call my shot.

Safe travels to Mexico all!!