MMJ mention on Stern

Started by Zutroy, Jan 24, 2017, 06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zutroy

Brief discussion of Jacket on Stern today interspersed with discussion with female caller (Lauren) who is a big jacket fan. Mostly a sexual Q & A with Howard and she asked whether Howard liked Jacket.

He never heard of them supposedly and said "I don't like that name 'Morning Jacket'" in jest.

But Jason Kaplan said he is a big fan (was at Red Rocks this year) and apparently Steve Brandano too. They played a little Gideon and Stern said he'd listen this weekend.

Worth a listen. Would you want to see Jacket on Howard?

Jbpats

Caught this part of the show during my drive home last night, doubt Stern gives them the time of day.. He refuses to give the Black Keys a shot also. I am not a big Black Keys guy but definitely feel they are more down Sterns alley.
Also not sure if Gideon would have been the tune I would have chosen to lure Stern, I probably would have recommended Remnants since he gravitates more towards heavier rock.
Ironically this was the second time MMJ has been mentioned on the show, or at least Jim James. A few years ago he was complaining about a cover album, I can't recall which, maybe Bob Dylan or George Harrison? Anyway he went out of his way to bash the cover that MMJ/Jim did on his show. Wish I remembered what tune it was.

MMJTX

was it the The New Basement tapes?
Anytime

millerjustin

Quote from: MMJTX on Jan 25, 2017, 09:50 AM
was it the The New Basement tapes?

pretty sure Howard griped about YY tribute to George Harrison (my sweet lord) - Howard is defensive about his Beatles
What's in here won't disappear

APR

So cool that MMJ was discussed.  The only new band that I can think of that Howard liked of late is Royal Blood.  He talked about how great they were and then they came into the studio to play and talk.  I could not even imagine how his questions would go over with Jim.  I don't know how I'd feel if MMJ came into the studio or if they would even want to.  That said, Howard has had incredible interviews with Neil Young, McCartney, Chris Martin,  Daltrey, Lady Gaga, Dave Grohl, and the list goes on and on.  But I doubt he would give the less famous/less popular "younger" bands that type of respect and the conversation would go towards topics many musicians wouldn't want to discuss.

Cool that Jason chimed in to say how awesome MMJ is.

I remember it was the George covers that Howard did not like.  I bet he would like a lot of MMJ songs.

sb_gli

It's been a year or two since I've listened to stern... cancelled Sirius...  but Howard has a notoriously terrible taste in music.   I've often thought about MMJ coming up in conversation and how I am sure he'd hate them.  Still cool to hear them mentioned on the show.

If anyone can post a link to the segment, that'd be ultra cool.

Clarkwork

I was wondering if others caught the mention this week.  Pretty big mention.  Even played Gideon.  THey always use MMJ as bumper music on the wrap up show too.  Pretty cool
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Cameron

Heard it too. It always annoys me when he talks about rock being dead. You just have to know where to find it.

APR

Quote from: Cameron on Jan 28, 2017, 07:51 PM
Heard it too. It always annoys me when he talks about rock being dead. You just have to know where to find it.

Exactly!

Lonndown27

AND MMJ IS WHERE YOU FIND IT :) Howard...come the fuck on man, someone needs to play him that mid section groove jam on Easy Morning Rebel live at Bonnnarrrrrooooo 2006 and the pubey haired sockjock would be pissing himself .
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Stevie

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jan 30, 2017, 01:16 PM
AND MMJ IS WHERE YOU FIND IT :) Howard...come the fuck on man, someone needs to play him that mid section groove jam on Easy Morning Rebel live at Bonnnarrrrrooooo 2006 and the pubey haired sockjock would be pissing himself .

I believe that anything is possible, but there are also things that are highly improbable.  Some people for whatever reason are just going to have a very hard time relating to a band like MMJ.  They are not for everyone.  I've come to accept that and in a way appreciate it.