Reports from OBH III

Started by MMJCOBRA, Feb 04, 2017, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Quote from: bhyman on Feb 13, 2017, 09:40 PM
My first OBH and I will be back next year for sure.

I may be in the minority but I love the cover songs. But I might suggest something different. The covers do seem to get in the way of a freight train MMJ set, so instead of sprinkling the covers throughout the sets, why not make night 2 a superjam (like bonnaroo) and dedicate 2 hours to covers with support from the other bands. Jim's rock and soul superjam at roo was a life changing set for me and I would love to experience that again.

Then keep nights 1&3 to pure MMJ for the extended sets. Deep cuts and long jams especially welcome!

Thoughts?
This reminds me of how Wilco spent one of two nights at their own festival, Solid Sound 2013, doing covers by request. 

http://www.nyctaper.com/2013/06/wilco-june-21-2013-solid-sound-festival-flacmp3streaming/

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Hoptimus Prime

Who won the deck-o-ration contest? Never saw anything posted about that.
5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!

sillyboob

[/quote]
This was my first OBH and I'll be back. The setlists didn't shake out exactly like I'd hoped (night 3 was straight up boring outside of Honest Man, IMO) but night 1 was the band I fell in love with 12 years ago. After that set I was like...I get why people come here.
[/quote]

To each their own, but I thought night 3 was pretty epic.  War Begun into I Will Sing You Songs, Easy into Evil Urges, Mahgeetah to close out the main set, with Touch Me Pt 2 going into Another Brick In The Wall were all so good.  And of course ending with the blast of One Big Holiday.  Almost makes me sad to think about.

That said, night 1 was the winner for me!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

sillyboob

Quote from: bhyman on Feb 13, 2017, 09:40 PM
My first OBH and I will be back next year for sure.

I may be in the minority but I love the cover songs. But I might suggest something different. The covers do seem to get in the way of a freight train MMJ set, so instead of sprinkling the covers throughout the sets, why not make night 2 a superjam (like bonnaroo) and dedicate 2 hours to covers with support from the other bands. Jim's rock and soul superjam at roo was a life changing set for me and I would love to experience that again.

Then keep nights 1&3 to pure MMJ for the extended sets. Deep cuts and long jams especially welcome!

Thoughts?

I'm with you on the cover songs.  At OBH2, I was a pretty new fan of the band.  I wasn't super into the songs yet, I'd seen Jacket once on the Americarama tour, and had watched their Storytellers episode many many times.  OBH2 was my second time seeing them, and the covers they picked, especially that first night, really struck me as being perfect choices.  They guys knew the audience they were playing for, and they picked cover songs (which they played perfectly) that made the newbies (and the longtime fans as well) feel welcome.  So the covers really were perfect.

That said, now that I'm much more into Jacket, I'd like to see covers the first two nights, but the third night could maybe be all Jacket, with some deep cuts thrown in there.  Or alternately, I really like the idea of a sunset show, a little more laid back, where some quieter or less well-known tracks get played.

All I know is that covers or no covers, One Big Holiday really is the way to see a show.  It was just so damn fun. 

dontgetupset

Considering my criticism seems to be a point of departure for others and double down by writing: After all is said and done I'm surprised by the effort put in to this unbelievably expensive event especially now that there's no more speculation on whether Oxen will appear or not...

I'm 100% sure that if I were there I would have had an incredible time. I also have no doubt that everyone who went would do it every year for the rest of their lives. My criticism is of the band only and not a critique of those who lived it up for 3-5 days.

To summarize it all it is the almost complete omission of surprises that irks me. Unless I missed something there seemed to be a complete lack of spontaneity except in the choice of a few covers over 3 nights that had not been played before. This extends to the sets themselves but more importantly to Jim not showing up and jamming with Gary Clark Jr. (or anyone for that matter), having the band emerge at 2 am to go crazy with Deer Tick, play up the fact that Vanessa Carlton was there and play A Thousand Miles, show up while everyone was at the pool and do a 3 song set etc...

I think part of the beauty of the whole thing is partially that everyone is there in Mexico in what's essentially the same location. Every single attendee paid a lot of money and is a big fan (or aspires to be one) so why not mingle with the crowds, hang out, show up unannounced etc...? (Again I may have simply not heard reports of this happening).

The other thing aside from the weak song selection (I define it as "weak" because omit one or two covers a night and you basically have a show that they might be playing at a festival or in a random city on any given night) is the somewhat short sets. Every one of these guys has more stamina in one nostril than I have in my whole system but where do these restrictions come from that say a) in paradise b) after not having shows for months c) not having another show for months d) having a full day off between sets that they can't do a 38 song scorcher?!?!? I know Jim can't abuse his vocal cords but they did 54 songs between 2 nights at Red Rocks so why not at least that on a festival devoted to them?

I love reading that someone agrees both from a purely egotistical standpoint and to know that I'm not crazy.

Last word:
Two Bedroom Stagefront Rock Suite - 2nd Floor - Interior
$2,999
Two Bedroom Rock Suite w/ Sky Terrace Stagefront - Exterior
$3,299
Two Bedroom Rock Suite w/ Sky Terrace Stagefront - Interior
$3,499

Nuff' said

dontgetupset

One thing I'll add- and I imagine I'm speaking for many others here when I write this- the difference between my ideal as depicted in the last post and what OBH"s have been so far is: All things being equal- even if money was no issue- I'd be more excited for the experience to see them at the Ryman or Hollywood Bowl  or any other cool venue that I've never been to rather than going to an OBH. If the 3 OBH's were marked by surprise 3rd sets , 3 bust outs per night that haven't been heard since T5, or collaborations such as Gary Clark Jr doing the 3rd guitar thing then I would do everything necessary to be there for OBH4. As it stands now I'm perfectly content waiting for the downloads of it in April 2018.

slappymoe

until now, it had never occurred to me that i could/should be disappointed over what i didn't experience in mexico.

i'm more inclined to just enjoy what is rather than lament what isn't. even at $1599 per person. :beer:

sillyboob

Quote from: dontgetupset on Feb 14, 2017, 07:20 PM
One thing I'll add- and I imagine I'm speaking for many others here when I write this- the difference between my ideal as depicted in the last post and what OBH"s have been so far is: All things being equal- even if money was no issue- I'd be more excited for the experience to see them at the Ryman or Hollywood Bowl  or any other cool venue that I've never been to rather than going to an OBH. If the 3 OBH's were marked by surprise 3rd sets , 3 bust outs per night that haven't been heard since T5, or collaborations such as Gary Clark Jr doing the 3rd guitar thing then I would do everything necessary to be there for OBH4. As it stands now I'm perfectly content waiting for the downloads of it in April 2018.

There's something about being at One Big Holiday, it is really the coolest event to experience, in person, with the Caribbean breeze blowing through your hair as the boys tear into Mahgeetah, that is really untoppable.  And knowing there are 4 days of music, it's the greatest.

As for the collaborations, Carl guested with Deer Tick, Lucius was there with Jacket all three nights, Pres Hall was there for two nights, Jim came out and sang with Pres Hall.  In 2015, War On Drugs, Dawes, Band Of Horses, Pres Hall all had guest appearances with MMJ.  I agree that Gary Clark Jr's set could have thrown a nod to those not so familiar with his work with a well-placed cover tune or two, or with Carl or Jim playing a song or two with him (or vice versa), but who knows what sort issues may have come up to prevent this.  We know that Jacket were hit with food poisoning on Night 2, so maybe they were laying low on Night 3 (GC Jr night).

I'm just stoked we'll get to relive it all soon, when the downloads come out.  Looking to relive Purple Rain, I Will Sing You Songs, War Begun and Steam Engine, as a start!

ALady

I don't think you're wrong about this. I've seen better 3 night runs from them for sure. I was hoping for fresh covers and deeper cuts and I thought the OBH2 setlists indicated that those were a possibility.

I also think it would be neat if we could have some input into who the supporting bands are. None of the supports this year really tripped my trigger (though Deer Tick surprised me, I hadn't really been a fan of theirs before.)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Jbpats

Quote from: ALady on Feb 15, 2017, 12:38 PM

I don't think you're wrong about this. I've seen better 3 night runs from them for sure. I was hoping for fresh covers and deeper cuts and I thought the OBH2 setlists indicated that those were a possibility.

I also think it would be neat if we could have some input into who the supporting bands are. None of the supports this year really tripped my trigger (though Deer Tick surprised me, I hadn't really been a fan of theirs before.)

Have to imagine this is in part because Jim and Carl have been touring solo for a while now, in addition to minimal touring as a full band recently and there wasn't a new jacket album to switch things up with. Obviously MMJ are talented musicians but based on the setlists it doesnt seem like they put much prep going into OBH to create that special unique moment.
Have to wonder why JJ didn't do a solo set seeing thats the freshest material out there right now.

DayDrinkin

We know that Jacket were hit with food poisoning on Night 2

Where do we know this from exactly?

As a 2-time attendee, count me in as one who who would prefer more deep cuts as opposed to covers. Also, minor gripe for this year was that almost all of the covers had been played previously in the past year.

That being said, I will begin trying to figure out how to pay for it again whenever the next one is announced?

sillyboob

Quote from: DayDrinkin on Feb 15, 2017, 02:05 PM
Quote from: sillyboob on Feb 15, 2017, 12:08 PM

As a 2-time attendee, count me in as one who who would prefer more deep cuts as opposed to covers. Also, minor gripe for this year was that almost all of the covers had been played previously in the past year.

That being said, I will begin trying to figure out how to pay for it again whenever the next one is announced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were reports at OBH about it.  My wording probably was a little suspect in saying "We know that..." when not everyone did know about it.  My bad.

But word was that the band got food poisoning on Night 2.

Jbpats

I got Montezuma's revenge last time I was in Mexico and it is not a good time. If that is true I feel for the band

rkwedge

Quote from: slappymoe on Feb 14, 2017, 08:10 PM
until now, it had never occurred to me that i could/should be disappointed over what i didn't experience in mexico.

i'm more inclined to just enjoy what is rather than lament what isn't. even at $1599 per person. :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

rkwedge

Couldn't agree with you more slappymoe :beer:
I for one loved every minute of the 4 days, met a lot of amazing people who seemed to not be caught up in their cell phones 24/7 rather carry on real conversations with each other. I know I met people who will be friends forever now.
I do not believe MMJ owes me anything so what I got from them I loved (Best Run Thru I ever heard and an amazing Honest Man) I also loved all 3 Pink Floyd Covers. The entire experience from the great resort and staff to awesome Jackets fans was well worth the $1599 I paid, you won't get that at the Hollywood Bowl :wink:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

justbcuzido

Yeah it seemed like most of the covers were a greatest hits of the 2015/2016 tour plus a few new ones sprinkled in. Compare that to OBH2, where every cover was played for the first time (95% sure on that).

On paper, they were solid sets, albeit a bit predictable. It seems like OBH is the perfect time to just do something completely different as I think the crowd will be way more receptive to it as opposed to a standard show. As someone else mentioned, an acoustic sunset set would be amazing so they could dust of older tunes that would ruin the balls to the wall energy of the main sets.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

ditty

Quote from: ALady on Feb 15, 2017, 12:38 PM

Each year they send an email questioner afterwords asking for feedback including bands we would like to see in the future ...I've voted for Deer Tick the last two times.  Hoping for Drive By Truckers, Felice Brothers, Fruit Bats, Old 97's and Trampled By Turtles in the future.
100204 102305 112506 80711 71412 7050613 OBH14151718 6232415 71815 5121316 52616 62217 81017 8020319

millerjustin

Quote from: sillyboob on Feb 15, 2017, 02:18 PM
Quote from: sillyboob on Feb 15, 2017, 12:08 PM

There were reports at OBH about it.  My wording probably was a little suspect in saying "We know that..." when not everyone did know about it.  My bad.

But word was that the band got food poisoning on Night 2.

Jim was sick night 3 and fought through it - very reliable source

and FWIW, they could play anything off Abbey Road on repeat forever and I'd eat it up ;)
What's in here won't disappear

Frank G

In the end this band doesn't owe us anything.  While we all have our own tunnel vision perspective of what we prefer or better yet expect, it's safe to say throw that away.  Because expectation creates disappointment much like expecting things from a first date.  They're the leaders of this incredible music and will do what they damn well please.  That being said, they're not a jam band such as Phish or Panic and appears will never be.  Panics schedule this year in Playa is sick using a 4 hour block each night versus the 2 hours of Jacket and you know what, that's okay. The song amount is probably close yet Jacket isn't as elastic therefore much tougher to create such extension.  You all feel like I did at Red Rocks a few years ago.  They destroyed Atlanta for 2 nights the previous week and I traveled across the country to hear the same damn show.  Talk about expectations being crippled.  But you know what, it's okay and my expectation has now dried up.  It's who they are and we all know they're going to bring it hard each night, but lack the creative threshold we all live for in many other bands.  Very different from the Dead, Phish, what have you so we cannot compare them to those guys.  I'm onboard here and a long time fan, just trying to save you energy as the expectation stems from other music, not what Jacket has shown us in the past.  Take the Bonnaroo show out of history and you really see the light.  I wish more than anything Jacket would pour over into the improv world of elastic music and rip 1.5-2 hour SETS, then break for another,  but it's not who they are.  They're a rock band we all love.  Lastly, I've been to OBH since inception and it's about more than the music.  It's a vacation, meeting incredible people, best friends, the locals in town, and just the whole experience you will never get from a 2 or 3 night run.  People are around for 4 days loving the music and each other which I can't put a price on.  It's just money, we'll all make more.  I love this band more than any right now but like women, they're all different and we have to focus the love on what they bring to us embellishing every tune.  Next year Ive heard from the horse it's in the Dominican, moving away from Mexico.  Also, a 10-12 run late summer with a 3 night run at RR which makes sense since they're already slated for NYC in July.  I'll be at several of these and hope to see your smiling faces....without expectation...lol [emoji41]

If it would have been easy, I would not have cared.

Bulldog

Quote from: Frank G on Feb 17, 2017, 08:11 AM
In the end this band doesn't owe us anything.  While we all have our own tunnel vision perspective of what we prefer or better yet expect, it's safe to say throw that away.  Because expectation creates disappointment much like expecting things from a first date.  They're the leaders of this incredible music and will do what they damn well please.  That being said, they're not a jam band such as Phish or Panic and appears will never be.  Panics schedule this year in Playa is sick using a 4 hour block each night versus the 2 hours of Jacket and you know what, that's okay. The song amount is probably close yet Jacket isn't as elastic therefore much tougher to create such extension.  You all feel like I did at Red Rocks a few years ago.  They destroyed Atlanta for 2 nights the previous week and I traveled across the country to hear the same damn show.  Talk about expectations being crippled.  But you know what, it's okay and my expectation has now dried up.  It's who they are and we all know they're going to bring it hard each night, but lack the creative threshold we all live for in many other bands.  Very different from the Dead, Phish, what have you so we cannot compare them to those guys.  I'm onboard here and a long time fan, just trying to save you energy as the expectation stems from other music, not what Jacket has shown us in the past.  Take the Bonnaroo show out of history and you really see the light.  I wish more than anything Jacket would pour over into the improv world of elastic music and rip 1.5-2 hour SETS, then break for another,  but it's not who they are.  They're a rock band we all love.  Lastly, I've been to OBH since inception and it's about more than the music.  It's a vacation, meeting incredible people, best friends, the locals in town, and just the whole experience you will never get from a 2 or 3 night run.  People are around for 4 days loving the music and each other which I can't put a price on.  It's just money, we'll all make more.  I love this band more than any right now but like women, they're all different and we have to focus the love on what they bring to us embellishing every tune.  Next year Ive heard from the horse it's in the Dominican, moving away from Mexico.  Also, a 10-12 run late summer with a 3 night run at RR which makes sense since they're already slated for NYC in July.  I'll be at several of these and hope to see your smiling faces....without expectation...lol [emoji41]

VERY well said, couldnt agree more. One add on from my perspective as to sets, they did as advertised, meaning the structure is such that a 1am show occurs and they have the respect to stop and allow us time to wander over, no disappointments for me and Ive been to all 3 as well.

We got a wild hair when we checked out of Hard Rock and went over to Cozmel for 3 more days, what an experience getting to meet more locals and experience the culture. They had a park across from our hotel with some carnival type games, each night the area was FILLED with families playing eating and enjoying, what a treasure to see....