Reports from OBH III

Started by MMJCOBRA, Feb 04, 2017, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountSA

Quote from: rmpotsy on Feb 06, 2017, 09:33 AM
what is "the right time"?  could it be "night time is the right time"?  i could see them killing that with PHJB. 

and if it is, i will be very disappointed in my 3 month old.

Setlist.fm has it as Night & Day by Ray Charles.

rmpotsy

Quote from: CountSA on Feb 06, 2017, 10:13 AM
what is "the right time"?  could it be "night time is the right time"?  i could see them killing that with PHJB. 

youve got to be kidding me.  man i cannot wait to hear that recording.
out go the lights it begins

CountSA

Quote from: rmpotsy on Feb 06, 2017, 10:26 AM

The Instagram of the offical setlist has "Night Time"...

Derek713

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

APR

Are they making downloads available again?  Can anyone confirm?  I don't remember reading that they are doing it again, but I'm assuming and hoping so.

Great stuff so far!

justbcuzido

Quote from: CountSA on Feb 06, 2017, 12:07 PM
Quote from: rmpotsy on Feb 06, 2017, 10:26 AM

The Instagram of the offical setlist has "Night Time"...

Listening to someones live stream last night, it was definitely the Ray Charles tune. I can't wait to hear that on a proper release.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

parkervb

What a run of covers Ray, Chuck Berry, Bowie, Prince, Pink Floyd and the Beatles! That's a huge chunk of the MMJ genealogy.
Don't you ever turn it off

jimsflyingv

Interesting to see that they did not play One Big Holiday ;-) ;-) ;-)

walterfredo

Quote from: jimsflyingv on Feb 07, 2017, 03:26 AM

I'll go out on a limb and say they'll play it today.

parkervb

Quote from: walterfredo on Feb 07, 2017, 10:04 AM
Quote from: jimsflyingv on Feb 07, 2017, 03:26 AM

I'll go out on a limb and say they'll play it today.

it'd be pretty dope if they opened with it, that place would be JUMPING!
Don't you ever turn it off

Jbpats

did they not play last night?

MOWJO8185

Quote from: Jbpats on Feb 07, 2017, 11:09 AM
did they not play last night?

They always take the 3rd night off. Gary Clark Jr. headlined last night.

SplatSplatSplat

Too many covers. How bout some deep cut original tunes?
You need it.  That's for sure.

dontgetupset

I've been holding my tongue as this is a criticism of OBH that I've articulated in the past BUT to pay thousands of dollars and not get a

Knot Comes Loose
I Needed It Most
By My Car

etc... is criminal. I have no doubt that everyone there is having a rollicking good time and I am undoubtedly jealous of anyone there but cmon man! Seriously...

slappymoe

To each his own, I guess. Personally, I'd rather hear an "all you need is love" or "sign o' the times". Their ability to cover ANYTHING and make their own is one of the first things that caused me to fall in love with these guys.

dontgetupset

They're INCREDIBLE! I love covers equally or moreso than deep cuts. I would fly to anywhere warm right now to see them play Big Decisions over and over (actually maybe not).

I'm focussing as objectively as possible on the value proposition of spending the money to see them there COMBINED with what I think the band owes the attendees. That's right- I used the word "owe." As super-skilled musicians they're certainly capable of whipping something out with minimal practice and/or unleashing a deep cut that they play from time to time (If All Else Fails, Remnants etc..) so why not go completely crazy?!

I don't know. These shows look like they've been GREAT but I have really high expectations for this band always and if I were spending that kind of money on the whole thing I would just figure they'd throw a few things in that the biggest fans would be completely blown away by.

(The format/setlist of the Sunday night show at least reminds me very much of 12/31/2008 and 12/31/2012 where there were diverse covers and tons of the "big songs" played but few deep cuts. So don't think I'm under any illusion that getting super-deep-cuts is a given even at landmark shows. Nevertheless it all comes back to the money spent on this one...)

MOWJO8185

Quote from: dontgetupset on Feb 07, 2017, 01:11 PM
They're INCREDIBLE! I love covers equally or moreso than deep cuts. I would fly to anywhere warm right now to see them play Big Decisions over and over (actually maybe not).

I'm focussing as objectively as possible on the value proposition of spending the money to see them there COMBINED with what I think the band owes the attendees. That's right- I used the word "owe." As super-skilled musicians they're certainly capable of whipping something out with minimal practice and/or unleashing a deep cut that they play from time to time (If All Else Fails, Remnants etc..) so why not go completely crazy?!

I don't know. These shows look like they've been GREAT but I have really high expectations for this band always and if I were spending that kind of money on the whole thing I would just figure they'd throw a few things in that the biggest fans would be completely blown away by.

(The format/setlist of the Sunday night show at least reminds me very much of 12/31/2008 and 12/31/2012 where there were diverse covers and tons of the "big songs" played but few deep cuts. So don't think I'm under any illusion that getting super-deep-cuts is a given even at landmark shows. Nevertheless it all comes back to the money spent on this one...)

As a setlist viewer from home, who looks forward to getting the downloads, I am always pulling for the bust-out of deep cuts over covers. It seems when you are at a location with your biggest fans (as evidenced by their willingness to pay thousands to see you), the time is ripe to bust out some tunes that would be obscure to more casual fans but wildly appreciated at OBH.

At the same time, most of their true deep cuts that almost never get played reside on the quieter end of the spectrum, and perhaps they feel that they aren't befitting of the tropical party atmosphere?  If I were actually down there, instead of setlist-watching from home, and had a number of drinks in my system, etc., I'd probably go nuts for Rebel Rebel but not be able to appreciate the nuance of a quiet, midset Butch Cassidy.

Really, on their "off day", they should play their own sunset acoustic set. Death is the Easy Way, If All Else Fails, Knot Comes Loose, One in the Same, etc.

excel

Quote from: dontgetupset on Feb 07, 2017, 12:47 PM
I've been holding my tongue as this is a criticism of OBH that I've articulated in the past BUT to pay thousands of dollars and not get a

Knot Comes Loose
I Needed It Most
By My Car

etc... is criminal. I have no doubt that everyone there is having a rollicking good time and I am undoubtedly jealous of anyone there but cmon man! Seriously...

Considering they still have a third full set tonight I don't know why you are blowing your load so quickly. That being said I hope they play those songs as well ;)

CountSA

The last 2 OBH's were cover heavy with not a lot of original rarities, so this is really no big surprise.

gardenparty

it would certainly be really cool if they did a 45 minute acoustic set one day and played some of the deep chill stuff. 

Sounds like a hell of a party either way though.  some year I'd like to go