Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

And now, back to the music....

Lonndown27

Quote from: Bulldog on Mar 16, 2017, 05:47 PM
And now, back to the music....

:rolleyes:

CONDUCT YOURSELF SO PERFECTLY!!!!!  :cheesy: :grin: :rolleyes:
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

Sign O' The Times is the best cover Jacket have done since Hit It & Quit It

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

millerjustin

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 16, 2017, 06:28 PM

Father Figure, dude.  And it's especially good when you hear them playing it in their green room through your bedroom ceiling during a much needed afternoon nap
What's in here won't disappear

millerjustin

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 14, 2017, 05:12 PM
Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 14, 2017, 04:59 PM
Wow... dontgetupset's comments about the setlists at OBH were pretty on point, and made pretty respectfully in my opinion. This forum is awesome but does get a little weird when anything that even approaches a criticism is brought up.

its not the criticism, I've criticized Jacket a few times, it's the fact that he criticizes but then demands others to send him their codes, from the money they spent either for OBH or for the recordings. It's just......not really cool, ya know? I don't know why I have to explain it in depth, it's just.....kinda moochery, kinda lame?? i cant find a word that ties it up perfectly, but when I first read his post it made me feel like he's one of those types of people who talks shit on someone, but then when they're stuck and need a ride suddenly that person's their best friend, ya know what I mean???? Just annoyed by it was all. Criticize all you want, I was just calling him out for being a dick about OBH and then demanding codes from others who actually enjoyed it and wanted to relive it.

btw, just listened to Steam Engine and besides the awesome guitar feedback for a few minutes before the sax, it wasn't a good Steam. I usually get this "in awe" feeling from ANY Steam, but upon my first listen it didn't hit me.

See , I criticize them fairly quite often, I just thought dontgetupset was being a little selfish and rude by demanding the codes. But don't worry, dontgetupset, I'm not really even upset, it's just.....it wasn't really a cool thing to read.

Sorry if I was rude to you in return, dontgetupset.

not sure what the hell you're talking about with Steam - Carl dropped one note early, but came back raging.  Listen at 4:18.  He plays 8-10 picking notes in under a second that will slice your cortex open.  Only thing missing was Patrick thunder at the end.

MMJCOBRA

I'm a firm believer that night one was the second best Jacket  shown I've ever seen out of 33. On FIRE, perfect setlist and the covers were right up my alley.

Anyone tape the sound check with golden into here comes the Sun?  Totally different arrangement than what was played night 1.  Golden music and tempo with Jim singing in a higher register. 

Lonndown27

Quote from: millerjustin on Mar 17, 2017, 09:38 AM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 14, 2017, 05:12 PM
Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 14, 2017, 04:59 PM
Wow... dontgetupset's comments about the setlists at OBH were pretty on point, and made pretty respectfully in my opinion. This forum is awesome but does get a little weird when anything that even approaches a criticism is brought up.

its not the criticism, I've criticized Jacket a few times, it's the fact that he criticizes but then demands others to send him their codes, from the money they spent either for OBH or for the recordings. It's just......not really cool, ya know? I don't know why I have to explain it in depth, it's just.....kinda moochery, kinda lame?? i cant find a word that ties it up perfectly, but when I first read his post it made me feel like he's one of those types of people who talks shit on someone, but then when they're stuck and need a ride suddenly that person's their best friend, ya know what I mean???? Just annoyed by it was all. Criticize all you want, I was just calling him out for being a dick about OBH and then demanding codes from others who actually enjoyed it and wanted to relive it.

btw, just listened to Steam Engine and besides the awesome guitar feedback for a few minutes before the sax, it wasn't a good Steam. I usually get this "in awe" feeling from ANY Steam, but upon my first listen it didn't hit me.

See , I criticize them fairly quite often, I just thought dontgetupset was being a little selfish and rude by demanding the codes. But don't worry, dontgetupset, I'm not really even upset, it's just.....it wasn't really a cool thing to read.

Sorry if I was rude to you in return, dontgetupset.

not sure what the hell you're talking about with Steam - Carl dropped one note early, but came back raging.  Listen at 4:18.  He plays 8-10 picking notes in under a second that will slice your cortex open.  Only thing missing was Patrick thunder at the end.

like i said, ill listen again hahah, i was shocked it didnt hit me first time

Lonndown27

Quote from: millerjustin on Mar 17, 2017, 09:37 AM

Father Figure, dude.  And it's especially good when you hear them playing it in their green room through your bedroom ceiling during a much needed afternoon nap

wait.....was this them rehearsing it at OBH when you first heard it? confused sorry hahah

millerjustin.....oh my god......cortex slit open by Carl! those are really subtle, awesome note choices by Carl, I really had to listen for them, they can get lost under Jim's vocals etc, but holy shit, his lead playing throughout is so tasteful. It's kinda got a more laid-back spacey vibe to it and it's trancing me out

RULE #1: NEVER BETRAY A STEAM ENGINE

still not my favorite Steam, but it wasn't even close to as bad as I said, remember those were first impressions. the OBH recordings usually have to settle on you for a bit, certain parts click, others don't. But wow...glad I listened again and now here I go again

LBSUNFLWR

I started Night 1 a little while ago. Best shit so far: Steam Engine-Wish You Were Here-Masterplan! damn. Seems that will be hard to top but I'm only on Night 1.

Lonndown27

i feel like Carl experiments too much with the Masterplan solo, ever since I heard my favorite version, from the ACL 2016 recording, it's been hard for me to find one that can top it, the solo is just perfect and for once it feels like they kept playing as long as Carl wanted to solo instead of stopping and killing the buzz before he's even reached a crescendo.

But, still...this is Carl Broemel....face melting Carl.

Night I is unbelievable and the longest (by 2 minutes) OBH show yet. If it had Sign O'The Times on that nights setlist, it would've been easily the best OBH show yet.

Btw, that RUN THRU is easily the best RUN THRU i've heard in A LONG TIME. That song has worn me out over the years (just heard it too many damn times) but I love how heavy they did it, a lot of feedback and atmospheric delay rampages to give it this edge. Loved the OBHIII version.

millerjustin

Quote from: unravelled on Mar 17, 2017, 10:09 AM
I'm a firm believer that night one was the second best Jacket  shown I've ever seen out of 33. On FIRE, perfect setlist and the covers were right up my alley.

Anyone tape the sound check with golden into here comes the Sun?  Totally different arrangement than what was played night 1.  Golden music and tempo with Jim singing in a higher register. 

I have video of most of the sound check from our deck - the HCTS has some funny and annoying chatter from people on our deck.  The Spring is awesome tho - I'll work on placing on youtube and link here

millerjustin

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 17, 2017, 05:32 PM
Quote from: millerjustin on Mar 17, 2017, 09:37 AM

wait.....was this them rehearsing it at OBH when you first heard it? confused sorry hahah

millerjustin.....oh my god......cortex slit open by Carl! those are really subtle, awesome note choices by Carl, I really had to listen for them, they can get lost under Jim's vocals etc, but holy shit, his lead playing throughout is so tasteful. It's kinda got a more laid-back spacey vibe to it and it's trancing me out

RULE #1: NEVER BETRAY A STEAM ENGINE

still not my favorite Steam, but it wasn't even close to as bad as I said, remember those were first impressions. the OBH recordings usually have to settle on you for a bit, certain parts click, others don't. But wow...glad I listened again and now here I go again

our suite was right under their green room (stage front, Jim side) - we heard them playing upstairs almost every afternoon (knew Father Figure was coming well in advance).

One of the best parts was constantly bumping into them in the stairwell

rkwedge

That's cool you could hear them above you, I knew they were up there but was surprised you couldn't even hear them outside. I'm surprised there hasn't been more comments on "Father Figure" that was fricking amazing with Lucius. One of my favorite moments that night along with Carl's channeling of David Gilmour on "Another Brick In The Wall"
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Lonndown27

Quote from: rkwedge on Mar 20, 2017, 11:25 AM
That's cool you could hear them above you, I knew they were up there but was surprised you couldn't even hear them outside. I'm surprised there hasn't been more comments on "Father Figure" that was fricking amazing with Lucius. One of my favorite moments that night along with Carl's channeling of David Gilmour on "Another Brick In The Wall"

Gotta love the way Jim sings pop songs .
Lucius's luscious vocals are pure sex

DaydreamNation

Night 1 encore is basically as good as it gets wowza
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

parkervb

Quote from: DaydreamNation on Mar 26, 2017, 12:22 AM

when Bo's keys come in on "Like a Rolling Stone"...  :thumbsup:

Lots of words have been posted here on Covers vs Rare Cuts and after listening to Night 1 a bunch, I have to say I think the covers fit perfectly since the band had the chance to have backing vocs from Lucius (esp on the Floyd covers) and horns from PHJB to really do something special. Deep cuts can happen almost anytime they play, but they can't do "Like a Rolling Stone" like that except at something like OBH. 

I would pay a premium for tickets if Lucius and PHJB were w/ the band on a full tour.
Don't you ever turn it off

sillyboob

So here's my take on the covers, especially in relation to One Big Holiday or another multinight run somewhere.  I think the way Jacket does their cover songs, pretty much note for note reverence, but still making it their own, is great.  My first real exposure to Jacket was OBH 2015.  I had caught one Americarama show in SoCal and liked them enough to venture down to Mexico for a musical vacation.  I didn't know Jacket's music very much, except for playing their Storytellers episode to death.  But when they opened with Ride Like The Wind, and with the other covers they played that first night (through the whole week), the songs (covers & originals) sucked me in.  I had a blast, and couldn't wait to see them again.  The wife & I saw them again in 2015 at Red Rocks, and by that point I had really gotten into their songs and albums, and am all the better for it.

All of this said, here's my thoughts on the covers: I think in a One Big Holiday type situation, the covers are a great addition to get the crowd into it.  But you have a diehard set of fans who traveled to see you play, so I'd keep a handful (4 - 5) of covers for night 1, maybe one or two for night 2, and then keep night 3 almost all jacket, save for one grand cover song to bring out everybody for one last sendoff as a mainset closer (ala Rainy Day Women).  Then for the encore, nothing but Jacket until the last notes of OBH are reduced to tinnitus in my ears.

Just my two cents on the covers vs. original / deep cuts debate.  And really, as long as they keep playing, and keep doing One Big Holidays, we're all the winners here.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Emb1528

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 27, 2017, 11:12 AM

Lots of words have been posted here on Covers vs Rare Cuts and after listening to Night 1 a bunch, I have to say I think the covers fit perfectly since the band had the chance to have backing vocs from Lucius (esp on the Floyd covers) and horns from PHJB to really do something special. Deep cuts can happen almost anytime they play, but they can't do "Like a Rolling Stone" like that except at something like OBH. 

I would pay a premium for tickets if Lucius and PHJB were w/ the band on a full tour.

The keys were so perfect. Instant goosebumps
Doesn't matter what you're doin', as long as you're losin' your head

Lonndown27

Quote from: Emb1528 on Mar 27, 2017, 08:16 PM

My download didn't even have Like A Rolling StoneI didn't even know it was on the setlist until I refreshed my memory for the first time since the shows and now im sad and annoyed haha this has happened with every single OBH: some songs don't appear I.E Masterplan from RR2012 , Brown eyed and I Know You Rider from OBHI then OBHII had no OBH no Rainy Day Women pt.II and a few more missing. Sad I hope livedownloads will honor my purchase and send me a download of Rolling Stone

sillyboob

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 30, 2017, 02:18 PM
Quote from: Emb1528 on Mar 27, 2017, 08:16 PM

My download didn't even have Like A Rolling StoneI didn't even know it was on the setlist until I refreshed my memory for the first time since the shows and now im sad and annoyed haha this has happened with every single OBH: some songs don't appear I.E Masterplan from RR2012 , Brown eyed and I Know You Rider from OBHI then OBHII had no OBH no Rainy Day Women pt.II and a few more missing. Sad I hope livedownloads will honor my purchase and send me a download of Rolling Stone

That is a huge bummer.  I've never had an issue downloading any of the OBH shows before.  Hope you get the full shows!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.