OBH3 recordings are out!!!

Started by oistheone, Mar 13, 2017, 09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonndown27

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 14, 2017, 04:59 PM
Wow... dontgetupset's comments about the setlists at OBH were pretty on point, and made pretty respectfully in my opinion. This forum is awesome but does get a little weird when anything that even approaches a criticism is brought up.

its not the criticism, I've criticized Jacket a few times, it's the fact that he criticizes but then demands others to send him their codes, from the money they spent either for OBH or for the recordings. It's just......not really cool, ya know? I don't know why I have to explain it in depth, it's just.....kinda moochery, kinda lame?? i cant find a word that ties it up perfectly, but when I first read his post it made me feel like he's one of those types of people who talks shit on someone, but then when they're stuck and need a ride suddenly that person's their best friend, ya know what I mean???? Just annoyed by it was all. Criticize all you want, I was just calling him out for being a dick about OBH and then demanding codes from others who actually enjoyed it and wanted to relive it.

btw, just listened to Steam Engine and besides the awesome guitar feedback for a few minutes before the sax, it wasn't a good Steam. I usually get this "in awe" feeling from ANY Steam, but upon my first listen it didn't hit me.

See , I criticize them fairly quite often, I just thought dontgetupset was being a little selfish and rude by demanding the codes. But don't worry, dontgetupset, I'm not really even upset, it's just.....it wasn't really a cool thing to read.

Sorry if I was rude to you in return, dontgetupset.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MOWJO8185

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 14, 2017, 05:12 PM
Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 14, 2017, 04:59 PM
Wow... dontgetupset's comments about the setlists at OBH were pretty on point, and made pretty respectfully in my opinion. This forum is awesome but does get a little weird when anything that even approaches a criticism is brought up.

its not the criticism, I've criticized Jacket a few times, it's the fact that he criticizes but then demands others to send him their codes, from the money they spent either for OBH or for the recordings. It's just......not really cool, ya know? I don't know why I have to explain it in depth, it's just.....kinda moochery, kinda lame?? i cant find a word that ties it up perfectly, but when I first read his post it made me feel like he's one of those types of people who talks shit on someone, but then when they're stuck and need a ride suddenly that person's their best friend, ya know what I mean???? Just annoyed by it was all. Criticize all you want, I was just calling him out for being a dick about OBH and then demanding codes from others who actually enjoyed it and wanted to relive it.

btw, just listened to Steam Engine and besides the awesome guitar feedback for a few minutes before the sax, it wasn't a good Steam. I usually get this "in awe" feeling from ANY Steam, but upon my first listen it didn't hit me.

See , I criticize them fairly quite often, I just thought dontgetupset was being a little selfish and rude by demanding the codes. But don't worry, dontgetupset, I'm not really even upset, it's just.....it wasn't really a cool thing to read.

Sorry if I was rude to you in return, dontgetupset.

Did he demand the codes or did he offer to pay someone that had extra codes, though?

Lonndown27

it seemed to me that he just started demanding them, I could be wrong, though, as there seemed to be 20 people doing the same thing. Just thought it wasn't very tactful. He said he'd buy them if nobody would give him any....which begs the question: why not just go ahead and support this band in an era when nobody does???

Let's get back to the recordings, MOWJO8185, I wasn't looking for a fight, just was wanting that moochery stuff to stop.

I'm the king of wishing the band would play Come Closer or How Could I Know, Chills, Death Is The Easy Way, etc but this band's sheer existence should be ENOUGH for even the most die hard obsessive (I would count myself as one). Just sayin.....
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

jasongriff

no greasers
no socs
just people

Fartsmakemegiggle

Just bought the set. Sounds incredible thus far. Jealous of those that were there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lonndown27

Lonndown27

- Rebel Rebel is HOTTTTTT!!!!!
- Mother was perfection!!!!!! Those backing vocals by Lucius and that amazing guitar entrance by Carl....goddamn!
- REALLY REALLY LOVE the Here Comes The Sun Pts 1 & 2. Absolutely spell binding , haunting and optimistic at the same time

- that Cobra ending......JEEEEEEEZUS! I sorely sorely wish the whole Cobra would've been top notch, because that ending was so cool and had the hallmarks of a one off psychedelic frenzy in the sky, with this Sabbath / Metalica guitar by Jim...good god. almost finished, full perspective will be had at some point soon.

Maybe I'm just not in such a Jacket phase as I usually am (i've been listening to them like crazy since 2004, but on and off as I get into other bands, too, but in the passed 4 years it's been Jacket on and off more often than any other band, of course) to the point I think I sometimes take certain performances for granted, Trying not to though, who knows a Jacket phase is probably a day away.

dontgetupset

Hi. Just got back from a walk and am seeing this craziness. I like listening to as many Jacket shows as I can in as high quality as possible. Oftentimes after listening I will tell myself " that was mind-blowing" or "that was an off night." Most non cult members I know approach their favorite bands that was too. A Grateful Dead fan I know who saw hundreds of shows is very quick to explain nights that changed his life forever and Dead shows that he was able to forget 5 minutes later due to their (relative) mediocrity.

Along these same lines setlists can often give us insight into what was going on sonically without actually having heard the music itself. The hypothesis one may develop can then be proven or disproven from an actual listen to the music in question. In the case of OBH3 (and OBH1- go back and see my very similar complaints) I was surprised especially in light of the exorbitant cost that the shows seemed to be non-all-time-great-shows. Since posting this a month ago there have been Dave and Tim and Widespread shows (see: http://www.jambands.com/news/2017/02/26/dave-matthews-and-tim-reynolds-close-mexico-event-with-vusi-mahlasela-more-bustouts and https://www.jambase.com/article/widespread-panic-kicks-off-panic-en-la-playa-cinco-in-mexico ) that have only further cemented my opinion (note the word "opinion") about what could have been and what was.

I'm not sure if your freak-out is more the result of wanting to prevent me from hearing these shows (would be strange thing to penalize a "dissenter" with depriving them of hearing these shows) or the fact that I'd prefer not paying if someone has extras. I asked for the codes (which I've done before) from someone who would not be using them in order to not have to pay for something unnecessarily. I'm not gonna list all the analogous situations in life that we look to save a buck if we can but yes if someone has an extra that would go to waste I would gladly use it and use it to further flesh out what my take on OBH3 is.

On a final note I'm glad that there are (many) people in this forum that can discuss their favorite band without cursing, foaming at the mouth, having their pulse hit 200, and allowing it to overtake them emotionally (that happens to be similar to the way I feel in seeing such a limited tour announced yesterday :) but I have "sources" that tell me more dates are coming...)

Lonndown27

dood im sorry if you felt thats what I was saying but that's absolutely not what I meant. If you want my personal code, PM me and Ill gladly let you hear the shows I have no problem sharing them, it's how you went about it bro.

No foaming at the mouth, no bullshit, only emotionally invested in the music, the band and what they work so hard to do for you and I.

Lonndown27

just PM'd you that so you can rip the shows once you hear em too  :beer:

btw, does anyone else dig that Tropigeetah intro to Mahgeetah during Night III ???? Sounds so cool hahah

bhyman

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 14, 2017, 09:25 PM
btw, does anyone else dig that Tropigeetah intro to Mahgeetah during Night III ????
Heh... "Tropigeetah" - PERFECT!

parkervb

Quotebut I have "sources" that tell me more dates are coming...)

way to slip that in at the end, dontgetupset... #buriedthelede  :grin:

Don't you ever turn it off

WastedLittleWeeza

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 14, 2017, 09:17 PM
dood im sorry if you felt thats what I was saying but that's absolutely not what I meant. If you want my personal code, PM me and Ill gladly let you hear the shows I have no problem sharing them, it's how you went about it bro.

No foaming at the mouth, no bullshit, only emotionally invested in the music, the band and what they work so hard to do for you and I.

I understood what you meant. The fact still remains that it's best to financially support said band so they can continue to give people a reason to have an opinion.  Cheers.

CountSA

I'll jump on the "if you have an extra code..." train.

MikeR1390

As someone who was neither in attendance nor listened to the recordings, the most important question before buying the recordings is:

WAS WHISTLE GUY THERE?!?!

rkwedge

Quote from: MikeR1390 on Mar 16, 2017, 08:15 AM
As someone who was neither in attendance nor listened to the recordings, the most important question before buying the recordings is:

WAS WHISTLE GUY THERE?!?!
Now that's a great question, no he was not, the crowd is not a factor in these recordings!
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Bulldog

Lucius is luscious in these recordings, their vocals add so much

parkervb

I've only heard 1/2 of Night 1, but First Light really blew me away. Really fresh and rocking. Bo said on Twitter it felt fresh to him too & his keys on it are a big part IMO & of course HORNS!
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 16, 2017, 09:21 AM
I've only heard 1/2 of Night 1, but First Light really blew me away. Really fresh and rocking. Bo said on Twitter it felt fresh to him too & his keys on it are a big part IMO & of course HORNS!

best First Light i've ever heard and it's a song I frequently skip. Although, the version i saw live in 2012 made me finally at least like the song

Lonndown27

Quote from: WastedLittleWeeza on Mar 15, 2017, 11:37 AM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 14, 2017, 09:17 PM

I understood what you meant. The fact still remains that it's best to financially support said band so they can continue to give people a reason to have an opinion.  Cheers.

im confused by your comment because i was the one saying that everyone should buy them....then dontgetupset and a few others got mad at me for saying it, so I gave a code to him....obviously i wish he'd just bought them, but he wasnt going to stop whining about it until someone did