Roll Call - Portland - July11

Started by pjfan04101, Mar 20, 2017, 04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjfan04101

Yeah, I like it.  Assuming Gary Clark is going to start right around 6, I'm not going to have a ton of time to pre-game  My wife will work till 4, then we'll probably want to be at the venue at least by 6.  Will have to hang out at the beer tent for awhile, I guess :)

CountSA

Golden
New life
Circuital
Compound
Lowdown

CountSA

Amzed
Mahg
Slow tune
Law low
Spring
Infancy
Tropics
Believe
Off the record
Aeiou
Dondante
Victory dance
E:
Wordless
Evil urges
Touch me 2
OBH

Emb1528

Great start so far. Love the slow slow tune and lowdown
Doesn't matter what you're doin', as long as you're losin' your head

zutronics

Great, chill venue!  Very glad I schleped up from Boston.

Varitek

Thanks for the setlist CountSA. My sister's first MMJ show and she had a blast. Wish I could have been there with her..
"Did he just put on a cape?"

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

parkervb

saw the Reno poster. Classic. At this point, I am chasing a Reno poster more than most songs. Have several Status and Burwell's but no Reno's.
Don't you ever turn it off

pjfan04101

Great time last night.  Great show.  We walked around quite a bit during the show, from one side of the stage to the other. Not a bad view in the house.  Even up by the beer tent.

Loved the Golden opener.  And the Spring-Infancy-Tropics-Believe combo was great.  Dondante, as always, was killer.  Guy next to me freaked out when they started Evil Urges, which is always fun to see.  Early curfew, but they played a solid 2.5hrs.  I hope they come back soon.

Jim seemed to enjoy the view.  Said a few times that he was getting lost staring at the "river" behind the crowd, haha.  Also mentioned something about Portland or Maine being the start of something, but I couldn't quite make it out. 

Lonndown27

Quote from: pjfan04101 on Jul 12, 2017, 11:13 AM
Great time last night.  Great show.  We walked around quite a bit during the show, from one side of the stage to the other. Not a bad view in the house.  Even up by the beer tent.

Loved the Golden opener.  And the Spring-Infancy-Tropics-Believe combo was great.  Dondante, as always, was killer.  Guy next to me freaked out when they started Evil Urges, which is always fun to see.  Early curfew, but they played a solid 2.5hrs.  I hope they come back soon.

Jim seemed to enjoy the view.  Said a few times that he was getting lost staring at the "river" behind the crowd, haha.  Also mentioned something about Portland or Maine being the start of something, but I couldn't quite make it out. 

nothing could be more beautiful, for audience and crowd, than playing a kickass show on a midsummer's night at a picturesque venue, let alone a river sitting there with the moonlight beaming down on top...damn that would be unreal. So glad this tour is happening
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

CountSA

What a show last night!  I left Boston at 5:15 and was walking into the venue as the intro song was playing, perfect timing.  The weather was pretty perfect which was nice, since the forecast had been calling for rain in the days leading up.  The setlist was great and the crowd was really into it the whole time.  Jim was especially enjoying himself, laughing in the middle of a song a couple times and admiring the scenery.  He kept mentioning the "beautiful lake", all the locals were laughing at this since it is actually a river. 

PJfan - Jim mentioned that most of the MMJ/JJ records were mastered in Portland at Ludwig Studios and that this was where the records were finished.

I didn't check the merch stand until the end of Touch Me Pt 2 and they were unfortunately sold out of posters by then.  Hopefully I can score an artist print, or if anyone happened to grab an extra, hit me up!

pjfan04101

Quote from: CountSA on Jul 12, 2017, 01:59 PM
What a show last night!  I left Boston at 5:15 and was walking into the venue as the intro song was playing, perfect timing.  The weather was pretty perfect which was nice, since the forecast had been calling for rain in the days leading up.  The setlist was great and the crowd was really into it the whole time.  Jim was especially enjoying himself, laughing in the middle of a song a couple times and admiring the scenery.  He kept mentioning the "beautiful lake", all the locals were laughing at this since it is actually a river. 

PJfan - Jim mentioned that most of the MMJ/JJ records were mastered in Portland at Ludwig Studios and that this was where the records were finished.

I didn't check the merch stand until the end of Touch Me Pt 2 and they were unfortunately sold out of posters by then.  Hopefully I can score an artist print, or if anyone happened to grab an extra, hit me up!

Thanks for that bit of info!  Makes sense. 

And I meant to say lake, not river.  Got a chuckle out of that as well.

Just a beautiful venue.  It was my first time there.  Seeing Wilco there later this month and even more fired up for it. Good weather certainly helps. 

APR

Quote from: CountSA on Jun 22, 2017, 10:15 AM
Quote from: APR on Jun 22, 2017, 09:56 AM
1. pjfan04101
2. millerjustin & the Mrs (and the kids!)  Stocking up on Bissell Brothers
3. mahg33ta - maybe with wife and kids
4. beardedwonder and friend
5. CTDeadhead
6. Lynchie
7. APR + Mrs. APR

We've never been to Maine so those in the know....please recommend things to do and places to eat in and around Portland.  I'm all ears.  We'll have most of the day Tuesday and all day Wednesday to explore. 

If you like seafood, Eventide Oyster.  Their lobster stew is the best thing I've ever eaten in my life.

Eventide was awesome as was all of the food in Portland.  My wife and I loved Portland.  Really great food, lobster rolls, and beer (and I'm not a big beer fan but Lone Pine Brewing company, that I had at Otto Pizza was my favorite beer ever).  Biking to all the lighthouses was very cool.  Touring Allegash Brewery is something we didn't need to do since our time was limited.

Now for the show.... fantastic as always with an unusually stellar Dondante.  The second half of the song usually is the highlight for me, but the entire song was so strong.  The first half was really something special.  Lay Low was great with a long intro.  Very cool jam after I'm Amazed!

Now for the post show..... so fun to hang with a big gang of great people and friends during the show and for pizza and drinks afterwards.  A highlight of the summer. 

Now for the day.... I ran into JJ on the street, and he was gracious enough to talk for a few.  He shook my hand and couldn't have been nicer.  A woman on the street witnessing the conversation and also the photo my wife snapped, asked what that was all about after Jim walked away.  I explained the deal to her......she had heard of MMJ but didn't know they were in town, and she said I was not a bumbling fool and that I handled the encounter in a nice way.  I didn't want to bug Jim during his free time, but I could not resit.  It made me feel all right that a non biased person, a music fan wearing a Rolling Stones shirt, gave me positive, unsolicited feedback (and was happy for me).

LBSUNFLWR

pjfan04101

Quote from: APR on Jul 13, 2017, 11:37 AM
Quote from: CountSA on Jun 22, 2017, 10:15 AM
Quote from: APR on Jun 22, 2017, 09:56 AM
1. pjfan04101
2. millerjustin & the Mrs (and the kids!)  Stocking up on Bissell Brothers
3. mahg33ta - maybe with wife and kids
4. beardedwonder and friend
5. CTDeadhead
6. Lynchie
7. APR + Mrs. APR

We've never been to Maine so those in the know....please recommend things to do and places to eat in and around Portland.  I'm all ears.  We'll have most of the day Tuesday and all day Wednesday to explore. 

If you like seafood, Eventide Oyster.  Their lobster stew is the best thing I've ever eaten in my life.

Eventide was awesome as was all of the food in Portland.  My wife and I loved Portland.  Really great food, lobster rolls, and beer (and I'm not a big beer fan but Lone Pine Brewing company, that I had at Otto Pizza was my favorite beer ever).  Biking to all the lighthouses was very cool.  Touring Allegash Brewery is something we didn't need to do since our time was limited.

Now for the show.... fantastic as always with an unusually stellar Dondante.  The second half of the song usually is the highlight for me, but the entire song was so strong.  The first half was really something special.  Lay Low was great with a long intro.  Very cool jam after I'm Amazed!

Now for the post show..... so fun to hang with a big gang of great people and friends during the show and for pizza and drinks afterwards.  A highlight of the summer. 

Now for the day.... I ran into JJ on the street, and he was gracious enough to talk for a few.  He shook my hand and couldn't have been nicer.  A woman on the street witnessing the conversation and also the photo my wife snapped, asked what that was all about after Jim walked away.  I explained the deal to her......she had heard of MMJ but didn't know they were in town, and she said I was not a bumbling fool and that I handled the encounter in a nice way.  I didn't want to bug Jim during his free time, but I could not resit.  It made me feel all right that a non biased person, a music fan wearing a Rolling Stones shirt, gave me positive, unsolicited feedback (and was happy for me).

That is fantastic.  He spent a good amount of time walking around when he was here for his solo show a few years ago.  Always stopped to shake hands, and like you said, very gracious. 

I just realized I never gave you much advice/recommendations on Portland but it sounds like you did just fine!  Lone Pine is a great brewery.  Love their Portland Pale.  And you can't go wrong with Otto's Pizza. 

I was told yesterday that the band hung out at The Honey Paw after the show (assuming they left for VT after that or yesterday morning) Apparently the owner has a connection of sort with them.  But they were gracious to everyone that knew who they were and apparently had a great time. 

Lonndown27

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018