Record Store Day 2017

Started by MikeR1390, Apr 07, 2017, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeR1390

Anyone planning on trying to pick anything up for RSD? Looking forward to hearing a new tune from War on Drugs.

http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Cameron

The Isbell EP. My wife will be out of town though so I'm not sure I'll take the kids to wait in line for it.

DaydreamNation

Quote from: Cameron on Apr 07, 2017, 08:50 PM
The Isbell EP. My wife will be out of town though so I'm not sure I'll take the kids to wait in line for it.
That looks super awesome
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

Come Closer

Link Wray
Brother Ali
Procol Harum

ManNamedTruth

I think i'm over record store day. Just a big money grab and nothing coming out this year that i felt i needed.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

parkervb

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Apr 09, 2017, 08:34 PM
I think i'm over record store day. Just a big money grab and nothing coming out this year that i felt i needed.

it's not even that great for record stores b/c of how it's run, they have to make minimum orders to even get some of the highest demand stuff. Then you go in a few months later and see a huge bin of RSD leftovers for sale. 
Don't you ever turn it off

johnnYYac

I generally go late in the day or a few days after and work from what little is left over.  It helps me avoid spending too much money.

I did go early one year, when MMJ released the live 10" from Newport Folk. While there are a few releases I would like, nothing worth standing in line at 7am on a Saturday morning. 

I think a better strategy is to have "record-store only" releases made available all year long.  I neat reissue or special release NOT available online would draw folks to the brick-and-mortar, mom & pop local record stores throughout the year.  Also, vinyl pressing plants wouldn't be choking on the huge number of small to medium pressings during one small part of the year (or two, if you include the Black Friday RSD).
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Shug

Quote from: MikeR1390 on Apr 07, 2017, 02:49 PM
Anyone planning on trying to pick anything up for RSD? Looking forward to hearing a new tune from War on Drugs.

http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

I wanna hear that War On Drugs song, too.  I wonder if it will probably be on the album when it comes out eventually?  If I knew it was an exclusive release of the song, I'd be all over it.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

johnnYYac

This year, I chose to not stress out about RSD.  I strolled in to The Record Collector in Iowa City around 1pm and found one copy each of two releases I was hoping for: The War on Drugs "Thinking of a Place" and Blitzen Trapper "Waking Bullets at Breakneck Speed".  There were other titles I might have considered, but I prefer this casual approach and its kinder to my wallet. 

I hope everyone scored some gems today!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Cameron

Missed out on Isbell and it's $60 and rising on eBay. Bummer.

beardedwonder

Grateful Dead - 7/29/66 Vancouver

Wynton Kelly Trio/Wes Montgomery - Smokin in Seattle

No luck on the Ken Kesey - Acid Test

Edit: was able to order the Acid Test today from presser. Only 2000 made. It's bad, bizzare and cool recording. Nostalgic for sure.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

LBSUNFLWR

love the new War on Drugs song.
Listening to Isbell 1979 now. Any cover of Atlantic City is cool in my book.
DBT up next.

Cameron

Did Isbell or DBT come with dl cards?

walterfredo

Quote from: Cameron on Apr 23, 2017, 07:27 PM

Don't see one in my Isbell.

parkervb

Quote from: walterfredo on Apr 24, 2017, 09:52 AM
Quote from: Cameron on Apr 23, 2017, 07:27 PM

Don't see one in my Isbell.

nope. I wasn't surprised either since it's entire recording was pure analog, kinda kills the idea imo. But maybe someone has one of those USB turntables.
Don't you ever turn it off

sillyboob

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 23, 2017, 01:12 PM
love the new War on Drugs song.
Listening to Isbell 1979 now. Any cover of Atlantic City is cool in my book.
DBT up next.

Heard the online stream of the new War On Drugs - really digging how chilled out it is.

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Varitek

I don't have a turntable  but I would love to figure out a way to have and hear that live Isbell release. Would anyone be able to help with this? Anyone know if it might surface in another format to be purchased. Not lookin for a free ride, just want to hear it real bad....
"Did he just put on a cape?"

beardedwonder

Did anyone pick up the Moondog or Sun Ra albums?
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

Clarkwork

I picked up the new War on Drugs single, Door Live album, Santana from woodstock, Stevie Ray Vaughn from Carnegie Hall and Cheap Trick.  Some great stuff this year.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Come Closer

Ended up with more than I thought I would:

Link Wray
Brother Ali
Procol Harum
Luna
Cleaners from Venus
Television Personalities