1st Bank Center (Colorado) NYE Run

Started by fleedawg, Apr 15, 2017, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkwedge

Quote from: parkervb on May 31, 2017, 12:34 PM
Quote from: robb on May 31, 2017, 11:56 AM
Quote from: millerjustin on May 31, 2017, 09:01 AM
Quote from: oistheone on May 31, 2017, 12:20 AM
Don Strasburg, who books pretty much every major show in the greater Denver area, just liked my tweet asking if MMJ NYE was a go. For what it's worth, I tweeted this a few weeks ago... and he just liked it now! Gives me hope this New Year's news is coming very soon!!!

they are working on opening acts

Spanish Gold, Carl solo, Jim solo.

Boom. Done.

Am I a bad fan if I preferred no Carl/Jim solo sets if it meant we got Carried Away, 4th of July and State of the Art done by the band?
No you're not parkervb, I now look at those songs as MMJ songs myself. I seen the first time they did State of the Art as MMJ and it was so amazing, then Red Rocks 2016 it blew me away again. Like "d wil" said anything, somebody's IPOD, a John Denver cover band who cares, just give us a confirmation.  :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

millerjustin

Quote from: rkwedge on May 31, 2017, 01:15 PM
Don Strasburg, who books pretty much every major show in the greater Denver area, just liked my tweet asking if MMJ NYE was a go. For what it's worth, I tweeted this a few weeks ago... and he just liked it now! Gives me hope this New Year's news is coming very soon!!!

Boom. Done.

Am I a bad fan if I preferred no Carl/Jim solo sets if it meant we got Carried Away, 4th of July and State of the Art done by the band?
No you're not parkervb, I now look at those songs as MMJ songs myself. I seen the first time they did State of the Art as MMJ and it was so amazing, then Red Rocks 2016 it blew me away again. Like "d wil" said anything, somebody's IPOD, a John Denver cover band who cares, just give us a confirmation.  :beer:

I'm guessing an announcement will drop next week - mixed news, tho - yes to mile high NYE, but no tequila til 2019
What's in here won't disappear

ericm

I've heard the same thing Justin. Only thing I'm not real sure on is if the NYE run will be two or three nights. I've heard both from what I consider pretty solid places. First three and lately two. 

I'm obviously hoping for three but I'll take two.  :wink:   :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

d_wil

Quote from: ericm on May 31, 2017, 04:28 PM
I've heard the same thing Justin. Only thing I'm not real sure on is if the NYE run will be two or three nights. I've heard both from what I consider pretty solid places. First three and lately two. 

So 12/30-31 with a possible 12/29? That would be perfecttttt.

ericm

Quote from: d_wil on May 31, 2017, 06:06 PM

So 12/30-31 with a possible 12/29? That would be perfecttttt.

Works for me.   :grin:    :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

millerjustin

Tres

robb

some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

andbrown

If these dates do materialize, any guesses on opening act(s)?

Will they need a band or two with name recognition to help sell seats if it is a three night run?

I'd love to see War on Drugs for at least one night, but they're already playing two nights in Denver in October so they're probably an unlikely guess.

MMJTX

Anytime

millerjustin

hoping for War on Drugs, Lucius and PHJB - all band friendly - Twin Limb would be nice too - Dawes would help fill seats.  a 2012 redux with Antibalas and Deer Tick totally fine too!

APR

Boom. Done.

A full band 4th of July is right up there at the top of my list of the songs I'd like to hear. 

I'm very curious about the openers.  If no OBH4  and great NYE openers, that would shed light on my winter vacation plans. 

sillyboob

Quote from: APR on Jun 01, 2017, 04:50 PM

Boom. Done.

A full band 4th of July is right up there at the top of my list of the songs I'd like to hear. 

I'm very curious about the openers.  If no OBH4  and great NYE openers, that would shed light on my winter vacation plans. 

Carl's live set at OBH4 was a definite highlight, possibly the best set of the week, with Tom playing birthday bass and Bo on keys.  4th of July was epic, as was Carried Away and set closer Gimme Some Truth.  I really hope Carl releases his afternoon set as a livedownload sometime soon.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Clarkwork

Are they just trying to still work on lining up OBH4 before they officially abandon it for 2018? 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Shug

Quote from: MMJTX on Jun 01, 2017, 10:28 AM
MARCUS KING BAND PLZZZ

FUCK YEAH!!!!!

War On Drugs opening would seal the deal for me, too.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Woldie

Am I the only one who is perplexed by this supposed choice of venue?  Why play a large(r) venue like 1st Bank, much less do three nights there?  I've never been disappointed by a Jacket show, but the closest was that NYE '12 show in Boston, which is comparable in size to 1st Bank.  Something just above the capacity of the Capitol (Port Chester) would be ideal, wouldn't it?  I feel that's when MMJ is at their best.
"The owls are not what they seem."

parkervb

Quote from: Woldie on Jun 05, 2017, 10:56 AM
Am I the only one who is perplexed by this supposed choice of venue?  Why play a large(r) venue like 1st Bank, much less do three nights there?  I've never been disappointed by a Jacket show, but the closest was that NYE '12 show in Boston, which is comparable in size to 1st Bank.  Something just above the capacity of the Capitol (Port Chester) would be ideal, wouldn't it?  I feel that's when MMJ is at their best.

nah, I said so earlier this in thread. I was skeptical the rumor was true based purely on the venue.  I can only guess they are getting a phenomenal deal to play these dates.

The Fillmore, based on size, seems like it could have been a better fit for a 3 night run. I don't know if it's a great venue or anything but just based on previous multi night run, it seems like a better fit.
Don't you ever turn it off

BoulderEagle

IMHO 1st Bank is a better venue than the Fillmore. First Bank probably holds closer to 8K when the floor is taken into account; considering they have sold out 2-night runs at Red Rocks (which holds 9K) multiple times, ticket sales won't be an issue.

The Fillmore here is much larger than the one in SF. Probably holds around 5K, and it's pretty much just a giant floor. Seats on the sides are few and hard to secure without getting there really early, with more seating upstairs in the back where you are about as far away as you can get from the stage while still being in the venue.

I missed Jim's solo Denver show last December, so I would kill to see him as an opener for at least one of these shows.

Announce 'em already guys!!!

Woldie

Smaller capacity and more floor space? Sounds like Fillmore Denver is the better choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The owls are not what they seem."

BoulderEagle

1st Bank has a bigger floor than the Fillmore. Take it from someone who sees a lot of shows at both venues, 1st Bank is better for a NYE show. Fillmore Denver has very little of the charm or intimacy of the SF Fillmore; hell, it used to be called the Mammoth Event Center back in the day...

parkervb

Quote from: BoulderEagle on Jun 06, 2017, 01:30 PM
1st Bank has a bigger floor than the Fillmore. Take it from someone who sees a lot of shows at both venues, 1st Bank is better for a NYE show. Fillmore Denver has very little of the charm or intimacy of the SF Fillmore; hell, it used to be called the Mammoth Event Center back in the day...

great input and thanks for posting. Like I said, I was basing my take on the fact the Fillmore shows a 3700 person capacity and admit I have no idea it it's a good venue or not.
Don't you ever turn it off