1st Bank Center (Colorado) NYE Run

Started by fleedawg, Apr 15, 2017, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxwell North

Quote from: e-stone on Dec 27, 2017, 07:59 PM
Quote from: GO4IT on Dec 27, 2017, 07:10 PM
ONLY TWO MORE DAYS!!!!!! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :beer:

Looking forward to seeing everyone!  We'll be staying at the Hilltop Inn https://hilltop-inn.com/ which has a restaurant and pub (The Burns Pub and Restaurant: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33330-d4714968-Reviews-The_Burns_Pub_Restaurant-Broomfield_Colorado.html ) that has good reviews and should be a good pre-show, and maybe post-show meet-up spot as it is in walking distance to the venue.  It's a 20 min walk and a couple minute drive to the venue.  We'll at least be doing drinks and dinner there on Friday starting about 5 so join us if you can.  I assume you could leave your car there and walk over to the venue avoiding the likely craziness of the parking lots. We're flying in from Baltimore early Friday afternoon with APR.

Can't wait!!! :thumbsup:

you are super close to 4 Noses Brewing, check 'em out if you're craft-inclined.

speaking of, has there been any talk of a bottle share before any of the shows?  anyone up for a swap of some local Colorado goodness (Weldwerks, Casey, Cerebral, etc)?
Down for bottle share, brought a couple of goodies from Cali. PM me if you want to meet up

Mr. White

My Morning Jacket rocking our world. My Morning Jacket -  Xmas Curtain at 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, CO on 12/29/2017

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Lonndown27

Quote from: piton87 on Dec 30, 2017, 07:59 AM
Dan when's the last time they played Evelyn

they played it at Beacon Theater in 2015!
a lot of first time plays since Beacon!
WHAT A SETLIST!!!

There's been a few people complaining about the show on the MMJ Facebook fan club page and it makes me sick to my stomach. They played one of the coolest setlists i've ever seen them do! the only thing I would've changed is the pacing of some of it, it drags when Jim has them drop in another quiet song after building an energy from two mid tempo rockers ...i just think they could use some work at pacing their shows. Other than that, the band were on fire!!!!

The fans skewering this band on the facebook page are savages right now....what more could they fucking want or expect or ask from the band???? People were honestly complaining about the lack of Compound Fracture, Victory, Touch Me II etc...are you serious??? THOSE SONGS CAN FUCKING WAIT. Not to mention, everyone was so pissed about those songs being played every second, every show in Summer 2017. SO WHAT IS THE BAND NEEDING TO DO NOW TO MAKE YOU HAPPY?? its insane...I dont wanna be a bummer or anything, but if at the 12/30 show tonight someone brings negativity around me and my love and my friends while this band is COOKING, I may just kick some ass  :angry: :angry: :angry:

Jim's voice was golden mountain honey, sounding beautiful and then belting with a fever from the moon!
Oh my god guys...my 3rd Jacket show...they opened with a new intro tape, something halfway between What Are You Doing New Years Eve and something else, it was definitely an Ella Fitzgerald tune of some sort or something, it was very odd, I missed the symphonic intro tape they've used since 2012.

and I nearly pissed myself when they started opening with At Dawn, just like I called it ! So glad they played that one! It was so epic!!!!! Jim was on the acoustic for it, not electric, and they played it just like they used to, fervent and slow and grindy. It's always been so emotional for me, that song, and we screamed each line out before I remembered my throat was fucked already and I'd have to dial it back if I were to survive all three nights with a voice!

What followed was odd: I expected Mahgeeta or Gideon or something propulsive and instead what we get is exactly what opens the At Dawn album: AD into Lowdown, and Lowdown kinda killed the momentum and build that AD provides. I feel like even something like Circuital or Beats is a fantastic, if subdued, follower / second song after AD, but Lowdown? it seemed to be the 6th song in the set already in the second song slot...very odd and I think the crowd was awkward because of its placement. It's a great song, I love Lowdown, look at my username just to tell that (maybe it was  a secret message to me  :wink: jk)  but it was very strangely inserted as song #2. The band needed something intense right there in my opinion.

Although, the pacing of the set would improve with the next few songs as it built from an epic, changed up XMAS CURTAIN (which was the 100th time the song has been played) which featured dueling, long solos from Carl and Jim simultaneously!!! What followed was the sickest Beats 4 U i've ever heard. I challenged Carl, through twitter, to top his solo from 8/4/2012 with the Beats from this 3 night stand. HE DID THAT AND MORE. Carl was absolutely on tonight. Chelsea took a 2 and a half minute video of the end of Beats that clearly shows the solo....it was unreal... the proof is there for all to see and hear.

Aluminum Park, one of my favorite Jacket rockers, came next to signal the set getting more pacey, and my did it rock. It was as kick ass as you'd expect, a real banger! I love this song so much, and so did the crowd! The crowd was literally going nuts the entire time the song kicked off, with many knowing every lyric. I could hear a weird chanting to every word Jim sang during this one, it was surreal as hell, because everyone around me is just saying exactly every word of the song.....GREAT FANS LAST NIGHT!!!!

what happened next was SICK! Heartbreakin Man was a-comin!!! and it was as heavy, as perfect with the ghostly harmonies as could be expected! I really love that song and I was so glad I got to see / hear it. They played it perfectly, with enough aggression and restraint at the right times, then went straight into Evelyn's Not Real, the second time I've gotten to see it luckily and it didn't disappoint, it rocked hard, with Carl and Jim's voice stealing the show. But what was really special, was when Evelyn dissolves into the part where Jim goes "you broke my heart and left me here...so bluuuuuueee" and he went on for a bit there with it, dragging it on and then right as it became a WTF moment, the biting opening chord stabs of SLOW SLOW TUNE came right in and the crowd went bonkers, recognizing the segue. SLOW SLOW TUNE was impeccably played, it was perfect. The explosion of delay and reverb and sound when Carl wails away was outrageous. Everyone just had jaws dropped and bowed to Carl during that, I know I wasn't the only one. And to hear the fans singing "gotta radiate the gold, gotta radiate the gooooold" along with Jim was hilariously awesome! the fans get that one now...you could see the pleasure all over Jim's face from that realization.

To follow a weird theme, they went into another Circuital song with Outta My System, which was heavier than god, with Jim doing the auctioneering voice end chorus screams, while the band exploded behind him, Patrick looking Bonham-esque on the heavy, heavy beatitude. Outta My System kicks ass, and the weed was flying everywhere during it.

Once again, Ryan Pickett was fucking killin it on sound. I could hear everything. Every little bass run, every swipe of the strings, every pick scratch...it was all there. And Patrick's bass drum made your heart pound back.

This is where things got crazy. Carried Away began and I knew we were in for something special. Bizarrely enough, Carl (who sang like it was HIS show for that song, loved the command he had) didn't do the first solo, just played some beautiful chords and then went back into the verses. But when that second solo came in.....oh my god Jim and Carl were guitar to guitar headbanging on either side of each other with titanic notes swirling from Carl's Duisenberg. He just shredded the hell out of that solo. It built and built and built and just...blew my face off. Tom Kowalkik has a full video (or someone does) that they're gonna be posting.

Smokin From Shootin came straight after and ripped my face off. It was very beautifully sung by Jim, with the long shrieks at the end executed absolutely perfectly. First time I'd ever heard that song and it was very huge to me.

Jim greeted us after Smokin, with his acoustic astride him and Carl holding a loft a bow and his Duisenberg ( I quietly and quickly texted myself HOPEFULLY for next song ). Jim said he teared up backstage during the Revolution and talked about Prince for a minute and a half, calling him the greatest musician ever (or something to that affect) and said he was honored to have them playing with them. Jim seemed extremely moved by the whole thing, speechless in a weird way, but talking nervously. They began Hopefully and it was a pitch perfect rendition that gave us all a collective breath.

Now, this is where Knot Comes Loose should've been played, same with War Begun and I Will Sing U Songs, but instead Thin Line came after, with a pretty rendition of Golden after (with Carl's pedal steel not working properly for half of it sadly) and then came the duel dosage of War Begun and I Will Sing U which was absolutely bonkers and made the crowd bow to them.

The next three songs brought the energy and raised the roof hardcore!!! O Is The One for the first time?? I couldn't believe it, but of course I could! The solos on this one COOKED, with Jim and Carl soloing and headbanging together, once again! Of course, the segue straight into What a Wonderful Man followed which took the show to another peak. What followed raised the energy even higher: one of my all time favorite Jacket covers and one which I thought they'd NEVER DO live in my presence (or at all): TONIGHT ILL BE STAYING HERE WITH YOU.

When the energy is raised that high, to a fever pitch, the last thing a band as good as this should be doing next is KNOT COMES LOOSE ....especially if there's only one more song after that, which was the longest, sickest Dondante i've ever heard of. The jams weren't as concise or as perfected as say Lollapalooza 2011, but maaaaaan there were about 5 different things going on at the same time but it ALL fit and was ALL unreal to witness, especially since right before Knot Comes Loose, we moved up to the seats because Chelsea's feet were about to give way (we've been walking and busing everywhere the first two days to save money, and money we have saved!!!! but it takes a toll!) and so I knew we could relax and watch the last few songs from the seats, no harm, no foul. Im a good sport and I never leave my lady hanging, btw.

I didnt understand some of the setlist choices as far as pacing and timing, the show felt like 3 hours when really it was 2 hours and 25-30 minutes. Move a song here or there and the show feels a lot better for the crowd, regardless of how big of a fan you are of the band, there's only so much standing the human body can do and when the energy gets picked up and then dropped like a ton of bricks so quickly song after song it can make it a bit of a ponderous journey.

This isn't saying anything against the band in anyway. Jim just needs to learn that pacing a setlist isn't about showing them a different mood song after song after song, sometimes it's about bridging moods together and bridging those moods with rising tension, say for example a setlist starting like this:

AT DAWN
CIRCUITAL
XMAS CURTAIN
IT BEATS 4 U
MASTERPLAN
EVIL URGES
-------stop playing for a sec
HOW DO YOU KNOW or something

you see how that works?

it doesn't go

AT DAWN
MAHGEETAH
SLOW SLOW TUNE
KNOT COMES LOOSE
HONEST MAN 

to start a show or something.

i dunno how to explain it. I just hope the boys pace themselves better.

Regardless, that Dondante ripped our brains out. I saw a kid on the rail headbanging so hard i couldn't believe I wasn't watching piece after piece removed from his skull each time his head came back up to whip back down! the whole place was in a trance, in its own time and space. That Dondante was something special. The band were NOT fucking around...

the encores were a bit odd with the fact that Believe opened it, which has never been a favorite of mine, although I love the solos. Rebel Rebel was a great choice for a cover, and the band stomped and romped it with even the low E string bends each time on the "hot tramp..I love you so" booowww bends sounding resplendent, they kept jamming out the ending, too, keeping us dancing and moving.

Then, came a very rushed Anytime, which as epic as it sounded should've had one more song in front of it or a second to catch the breath before it. The band are absolutely perfect, these are just suggestions that could help pacing.

I absolutely cannot believe what a setlist they played.
Tonight is gonna be more of the same and i CANNOT FUCKING WAIT

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!
IF YOU WANT TO MEET ME TONIGHT, MEET ME! LETS DO THIS!

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

d_wil

Quote from: Varitek on Dec 30, 2017, 07:10 AM
If any of you fine folks meet d_wil today, be sure to wish him a HappyBirthday
Thanks, Varitek! No better way to celebrate than with some Jacket!

walterfredo

Any pics/info of the official poster? Have not seen it at all must be sold out before I came in both nights. What about the VIP poster? Would love to see some images.

oistheone

Words cannot express how pumped I am for this Sirius stream tonight. I will also try and record the full encore performance tomorrow!

gardenparty

So what's left? Some heavy hitters. Hopefully a few rare gems sprinkled in

OBH
Black Metal
Phone Went West
Gideon
Tropics
Evil Urges
Compound Fracture
Wordless
Touch me 2
Victory Dance
Highly Suspicious
Dancefloors
Spring
Cobra?
The Bear?

rkwedge

Quote from: gardenparty on Dec 31, 2017, 02:18 PM
So what's left? Some heavy hitters. Hopefully a few rare gems sprinkled in

OBH
Black Metal
Phone Went West
Gideon
Tropics
Evil Urges
Compound Fracture
Wordless
Touch me 2
Victory Dance
Highly Suspicious
Dancefloors
Spring
Cobra?
The Bear?

Rollin Back, Yes and Please  :thumbsup:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

ericm

Quote from: walterfredo on Dec 31, 2017, 12:22 PM
Any pics/info of the official poster? Have not seen it at all must be sold out before I came in both nights. What about the VIP poster? Would love to see some images.

I don't have pics right now but the official ones are Burwells. So far kind of mirror images and a shade different in color with a glossy finish similar to Chicago. I'm real curious to see what night three will look like and how it works with the other two. For Chicago we knew it would be a border on the right to complete the set but these two are similar in layout to the Red Rocks 15 ones that were great as a pair but no idea how a 3rd will fit in. ( not an artistic bone in my body)

The VIP ones are pretty cool. Basically like a post card with different images of Colorado and MMJ stamped in.

I'll try and get pics posted of all six tomorrow if someone else doesn't beat me to it. One cool thing is the VIP's while the same theme are different posters for each night. Not like the Red Rocks 15 that were the same for both nights. We also got a pretty cool MMJ/Colorado date specific scarf as our VIP gift swag, and it's definitely been put to good use.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

Petty55

Please give us a Tom Petty cover tonight

pnw_wildcat

We're staying at the Marriott in Westminster only five minutes away. I've been reading that the parking situation can be terrible at the venue. Any word on this from the past two nights? We're going to drive over at 6 and I'm hoping that's not too late. I'm not looking to get on the rail, just a good seat. Also, is will call clearly marked or do I just have to so ask everyone standing in line? Thanks in advance!

CC

Quote from: walterfredo on Dec 31, 2017, 12:22 PM

Burwell and Hatfield posters are up here:
29th http://archive.mymorningjacket.net/index.php/shows/2017/2017-12-29-1stbank-center-broomfield-co
30th http://archive.mymorningjacket.net/index.php/shows/2017/2017-12-30-1stbank-center-broomfield-co

CC

rkwedge

Sitting in the Denver airport ready to leave this magical town.
What great shows, as always a magical spiritual experience. Found this article:
https://www.jambase.com/article/morning-jacket-says-farewell-us-2019-memorable-new-years-eve-concert

Posters from Guy were awesome, so glad he's back in the game. Happy New Year all  :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

LBSUNFLWR

Happy New Year. It was fun to follow along from home. I hope the soundboards surface sometime but I look forward to checking out the Audience recordings. 

Lonndown27

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jan 01, 2018, 09:45 PM
Happy New Year. It was fun to follow along from home. I hope the soundboards surface sometime but I look forward to checking out the Audience recordings. 

ALL audience bootlegs sound PERFECT they really do.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Jbpats

Finally getting around to listen to the run, going in order.. and just finished listening to Carried away on repeat (three times in a row).
I think I can safely call it now, no other tune is going to do it for me from all three nights more than this one.
Simply beautiful.

parkervb

Quote from: Jbpats on Jan 02, 2018, 11:30 AM
Finally getting around to listen to the run, going in order.. and just finished listening to Carried away on repeat (three times in a row).
I think I can safely call it now, no other tune is going to do it for me from all three nights more than this one.
Simply beautiful.

Bo's keys and Carl's guitar were made for each other
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 02, 2018, 12:11 PM
Quote from: Jbpats on Jan 02, 2018, 11:30 AM
Simply beautiful.

Bo's keys and Carl's guitar were made for each other
and thank (fill in deity, coffee mug, or favorite sportscaster) for them finding MMJ and MMJ finding them.

they ARE the Jacket. that Carried Away made me piss myself through my ears , i screamed extremely loud before the solo FUCKIN WAIL CARL and he flashed a smile and got down to bidddnesss. I loved night 3 because Jim was looking right at me and Chels for so many songs, even though hes in sunglasses so i cant tell for sure but he most definitely kept going to our area

(ATTENTION:JIM SAFE SPACE)

Whether he was or not is up to debate but it added to the unreal vibe

SplatSplatSplat

Quote from: Fritz on Aug 11, 2017, 04:50 PM
Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Aug 11, 2017, 12:02 AM
No covers. All originals.

If you think they're gonna play a show with The Motherfucking Revolution and not play some Prince, you're crazy.

not so crazy after all
You need it.  That's for sure.