2017 covers requests

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Apr 16, 2017, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoojack

Any of the dead requests would be great. At the top of my list would be candyman (even though I wasn't huge fan of jims fuzzy rotlasog guitar on the day of the dead album) or sugaree. I know you rider again would be great as well. Jim makes for a good jerry and carl can play anything. Oh sweet nothing is my favorite all time cover and I've always thought it sounds like mmj covering the dead covering the vu.

parkervb

Quote from: hoojack on Apr 20, 2017, 07:35 PM
Any of the dead requests would be great. At the top of my list would be candyman (even though I wasn't huge fan of jims fuzzy rotlasog guitar on the day of the dead album) or sugaree. I know you rider again would be great as well. Jim makes for a good jerry and carl can play anything. Oh sweet nothing is my favorite all time cover and I've always thought it sounds like mmj covering the dead covering the vu.

that's pretty spot on.
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 21, 2017, 10:07 AM
Quote from: hoojack on Apr 20, 2017, 07:35 PM

that's pretty spot on.

was about to say exactly, just with more distortion. That was always my problem with the Dead, great guitars and stuff but the boring clean tone got a little old, things for me only get interesting when Jerry's using devices, like 1972 with a wah wah and using more distortion and reverb, then in the mid to late 70s with his MXR Phase 100, Mutron pedal, MXR Distortion + etc. I like my Dead heavy and nasty, see Capitol Theatre 1978 for that (esp. Minglewood Blues)
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

littlejimfromxavier

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'd love to hear them cover Sweet Child of Mine. Jim has the pipes to cover Axl Rose, and they'd kill it instrumentally. That song was a favorite of mine when I was first discovering rock n roll (around age 13, lol).

Murph

Hunger Strike or Black Hole Sun.

After Prince and Bowie left, we saw a lot of those covers.  Maybe they'll work on some Chris COrnell/Soundgarden ones

robb

Quote from: Murph on May 18, 2017, 04:53 PM
Hunger Strike or Black Hole Sun.

After Prince and Bowie left, we saw a lot of those covers.  Maybe they'll work on some Chris COrnell/Soundgarden ones

black hole sun would be awesome.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

DaydreamNation

Hunger Strike would be incredible.
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

d_wil

I loved their "Could You Be Loved" cover from Lockn! Tommy and Bo were especially great on it and Jim singing reggae was awesome. Wouldn't mind seeing it or another Marley song.

sillyboob

d_will: Here's one you should dig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqMdcLI4pM

My Morning Jacket - Phone Went West-Stir It Up-Could You Be Loved - OBH2 - Riveria Maya, Mexico 2015

My Morning Jacket epic Phone Went West, Stir It Up, Could You be Loved, Reggae sandwich. Transitions are amazing. Amelia from Sylvan Esso joined for the jam and killed it
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

Quote from: DaydreamNation on May 19, 2017, 04:46 PM

It sure would be.  I was thinking that if they did a CC related cover, Seasons was the first song to pop in my head. 

d_wil

Quote from: sillyboob on May 20, 2017, 10:15 AM
d_will: Here's one you should dig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqMdcLI4pM

My Morning Jacket - Phone Went West-Stir It Up-Could You Be Loved - OBH2 - Riveria Maya, Mexico 2015

My Morning Jacket epic Phone Went West, Stir It Up, Could You be Loved, Reggae sandwich. Transitions are amazing. Amelia from Sylvan Esso joined for the jam and killed it

NICE! This is great! And I love Amelia up there too. Sylvan Esso is really fun live. I remember seeing Carl for a little bit at the Sylvan Esso set last summer at Sloss Fest in Birmingham when the guys were there playing with Ray.

manonthemoon

Quote from: APR on May 20, 2017, 11:09 AM
Quote from: DaydreamNation on May 19, 2017, 04:46 PM

It sure would be.  I was thinking that if they did a CC related cover, Seasons was the first song to pop in my head. 

If they're doing a cover gotta be their best Far Beyond the wheel
Alive or Just Breathing

Come Closer

Come Closer

LBSUNFLWR

Just watched this video of Eric Clapton busting out Bell Bottom Blues live for the first time in like 10 years. I have always loved this song and was just imagining it sung in Jim's voice. wow! I think it'd be a cool and different cover to try!  :thumbsup:

https://www.jambase.com/article/eric-clapton-dusts-off-bell-bottom-blues-royal-albert-hall-run-opener

rkwedge

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on May 24, 2017, 11:28 AM
Just watched this video of Eric Clapton busting out Bell Bottom Blues live for the first time in like 10 years. I have always loved this song and was just imagining it sung in Jim's voice. wow! I think it'd be a cool and different cover to try!  :thumbsup:

https://www.jambase.com/article/eric-clapton-dusts-off-bell-bottom-blues-royal-albert-hall-run-opener

I saw Clapton in Seattle in the early 80's and I still to this day remember him doing that song. Jim would do that song so well, I have goosebumps just dreaming of it!
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

LBSUNFLWR

d_wil

What Gregg Allman or Allman Brothers song would you guys like to see most?

hoojack

Quote from: d_wil on Jun 03, 2017, 03:54 PM
What Gregg Allman or Allman Brothers song would you guys like to see most?

Ooh tough question. I was thinking about this the other day and it's not any easy question because the allman style doesn't match all that easily with mmj (not that the boys couldn't pull it off).  I  decided a soulshine ft Gary Clark would melt my face. I actually may create a twitter account and harass the band until Charlotte with this request. Feel free to join me.

hoojack

And can you imagine a set with a temple of the dog tribute to Chris Cornell and a tribute to the allmans similar to the Bowie/prince tributes on the last tour? Pretty please 🙏