2017 covers requests

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Apr 16, 2017, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

I'll start:
The Wheel--as heard on "Garcia" by Mr Jerry G
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Lonndown27

- Little Feat's "All That You Dream"

- Pigs (Three Different Ones) WITH Roger Waters (imagine Carl on the talkbox solo????? WOWZA)

- Grateful Dead's "Playing In The Band"

- JJ Cale / Eric Clapton's "After Midnight" as the balloons and confetti are flying during NYE

- Sly's "I Wanna Take You Higher" right after midnight on NYE would be CHILLLLLZZZZ inducing brothas and sistas

- i really wanna see them do HIT IT & QUIT IT again, it's so sick and only been done twice

- Every Rose Has Its Thorn as an epic joker of a song (like Home Sweet Home) after the chaos of an epic Phone Went West or Steam Engine, as the second to last song of the set or possibly last

- Carpet Crawlers by Genesis

- My Stars by Alice Cooper (that piano intro by Bo would be spine ripping)

- Midnight Rider by Allman Brothers

- I'm Ready by Humble Pie

- Doobie Brothers' "Pursuit on 53rd Street"

- Pink Floyd's "Obscured By Clouds" as an intro song to say, Victory Dance or something

- The Who's Love Reign O'er Me or Sparks or Baba O'Riley

- a super long psychedelic take on Springsteen's Blinded By The Light but using the Manfred Mann arrangement  (can you just hear Carl going nuts on that solo???)

so many peoples.....so many
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ericm

Springsteen - The Ghost Of Tom Joad
Dylan - All Along The Watchtower
"Where's Jim going?"

beardedwonder

How bout zero. Not trying to be a lame'o but honestly the covers take away from the shows so much. I can't stand them. This is not solely on MMJ but any band I see. I think back on last years RR Shows I went to. All the covers are at the very bottom of my list of tunes and I skip them when I relisten to shows. Obviously Jims voice makes everything sound good but it just does nothing for me. Different perspective I guess. That said if it were old blues songs that other bands have not already played to death I could be surprised.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

Lonndown27

Quote from: beardedwonder on Apr 16, 2017, 07:42 PM
How bout zero. Not trying to be a lame'o but honestly the covers take away from the shows so much. I can't stand them. This is not solely on MMJ but any band I see. I think back on last years RR Shows I went to. All the covers are at the very bottom of my list of tunes and I skip them when I relisten to shows. Obviously Jims voice makes everything sound good but it just does nothing for me. Different perspective I guess. That said if it were old blues songs that other bands have not already played to death I could be surprised.

i see your point, especially at the sacrifice of How Do You Know, How Could I Know, Chills, Come Closer, Rollin Back etc of the deep, deep catalog.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

RobRoy286

The Boxer (Jim & Carl)

Super random thought but it sounds nice in my head.

DaydreamNation

I think there is an incorrect assumption being made that if the band DIDN'T play covers, they would play more deep cuts such as the once mentioned above (How Do You Know, How Could I Know, Chills, Come Closer, Rollin Back etc). I don't think that's necessarily the case. For all we know they would just play more of the newer stuff, or maybe even play less songs per show if they didn't play covers.

I, for one, would be fine with Purple Rain staying in the setlist forever. Beyond that I'd like to hear:

Chuck Berry - Promised Land
Grateful Dead - Sugaree
Grateful Dead - Brown-Eyed Women
Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive
Bob Dylan - You Ain't Going Nowhere as performed by The Byrds w/Gram Parsons
The Band - I Shall Be Released
The Band - The Shape I'm In
Big Star - Back of a Car
Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark w/Carl doing the sax solo!

And so many more!
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

robb

some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

DaydreamNation

11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

APR

Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Lonndown27

oh Cortez would be perfect.

I would hate to think Jacket would just play less songs, if there weren't covers. I don't think they're that sinister.

However, I'd rather hear Sign O'The Times live or Black Sabbath or whatever over Thin Line. You Wanna Freak Out or Get The Point, just my opinion. I feel like certain covers, at certain shows, after certain songs, can sometimes muster absolutely blissful rockist memories, especially for people like me who grew up in a band, playing live shows nonstop and having to mix the covers in with your originals and the musical symbiosis that happens when you notice certain influences from covers dictating how the originals turned out....it's weird, I hope someone knows what the fuck I mean hahahah

just sayin Jacket always gives me that feeling with a proper cover, say A Quick One While He's Away or Lovin Cup INTO Easy Morning Rebel, just PERFECTION

Come Closer

More Harrison, like maybe something off Cloud 9.

parkervb

I am in the Deeper Cuts>Covers camp for sure, but I'd love to see It Makes No Difference get worked back into rotation. I'd probably prefer to see the Marley covers retired (and I love Bob but for some reason their covers of Bob never work for me).
Don't you ever turn it off

millerjustin

Can you hear me knockin'.

(the full, extended beast)
What's in here won't disappear

jimsflyingv

Warren Zevon - Lawyers Guns and Money/Werewolves of London
The Band - The Weight
George Harrison - Something
B.B. King - The Thrill is Gone
Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone (but different from OBH III more Bo playing the organ less sax)

timescaper

Quote from: APR on Apr 17, 2017, 12:42 PM

that's it right there!

easy way

"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Crispy

Looks like it's time to renew my dream of hearing the boys do Tears of a Clown.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

parkervb

Quote from: millerjustin on Apr 19, 2017, 09:12 AM
Can you hear me knockin'.

(the full, extended beast)

Isbell has a live EP coming out on RSD where they cover this. Looking fwd to it.
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

Quote from: easy way on Apr 19, 2017, 10:30 AM
Quote from: timescaper on Apr 19, 2017, 10:28 AM
Quote from: APR on Apr 17, 2017, 12:42 PM

that's it right there!

yup

or Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory so Tom can go Bootsy Collins on our asses with some elastic bass attacks!!!

I always thought Can't You Hear Me Knocking was only expertly covered by Black Crowes (what with Rich being heavily into the open tunings used for Stones songs from 68 on) . I'll check out the Jason Isbell band's version! Heard good things about him!