Roll Call - Electric Forest Festival

Started by RobRoy286, May 06, 2017, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobRoy286

Was lookin around and didn't see a roll call for this one.  Curious to see the MMJ fan turnout. Judging from the Facebook page, it's going to be more than I expected. Lesgo!

1. RobRoy286

jimmyE

oistheone

Schedule is out -- the boys get 2:45!!!! Damn sweet for a festival set, should be a good one!

DaydreamNation

Quote from: oistheone on Jun 01, 2017, 02:50 PM
Schedule is out -- the boys get 2:45!!!! Damn sweet for a festival set, should be a good one!
Whoa I'm not going to this because I have three dates closer to me and don't care for any other band on this bill besides MMJ but that's super solid! That's basically just a regular set for them these days!
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

RobRoy286

9-11:45 lesgo! Gonna be such a heater, I can just feel it.

Stevie

Wow, 2:45???  That's longer than pretty much all of their regular sets these days.  They are usually in the 2 to 2:30 area. 

It will be interesting to see how they are received.. EF has always been a very dubstep heavy kind of crowd, although I haven't been there in at least 5 years. 

There's no stream or anything for this fest but if i find anyone streaming on periscope i'll post the link.  I would assume a few covers are going down tonight, something weird may be on the agenda.

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

rna2525

Weird, both setlists have "my morning jacket cut off" what happened?

Mr. White

Quote from: rna2525 on Jun 25, 2017, 01:33 AM
Weird, both setlists have "my morning jacket cut off" what happened?

They are still fresh with the black tape all along the sides.

Jbpats

RobRoy286

Quote from: Jbpats on Jun 26, 2017, 10:10 AM
How was all the pyro?
Amazing. Sparks flying up at State of the Art (after each "the power is goin out," and during the chorus of Believe.

WinstonLegthigh

Somewhat of a weird set, I thought. Enjoyed it, though.

DaydreamNation

Super awesome to see that "Purple Rain" is still gonna make an appearance from time to time
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

Jbpats

Quote from: DaydreamNation on Jun 27, 2017, 12:30 PM
Super awesome to see that "Purple Rain" is still gonna make an appearance from time to time

I was actually bummed to see there wasn't more variety in these shows, very similar sets that have been played for the past 2+ years.. which is fair since no new material has come out.
I wonder why Magic Bullet never makes it in the rotation?

DaydreamNation

Quote from: Jbpats on Jun 27, 2017, 12:59 PM
Quote from: DaydreamNation on Jun 27, 2017, 12:30 PM

I was actually bummed to see there wasn't more variety in these shows, very similar sets that have been played for the past 2+ years.. which is fair since no new material has come out.
I wonder why Magic Bullet never makes it in the rotation?
I only went to Cincy of the three shows, and we probably got the most "different" set of the three so I was pretty happy

odelljaj

Yea, we are in a "limbo" stage of MMJ. Nothing new. repeats of the same shows the last 2 years with no new music.  Was really shocked on the cover selections and no Allman Brothers Covers???  Still great shows but yea I thought Purple Rain would be retired by now.

Lonndown27

Quote from: odelljaj on Jun 28, 2017, 11:28 AM
Yea, we are in a "limbo" stage of MMJ. Nothing new. repeats of the same shows the last 2 years with no new music.  Was really shocked on the cover selections and no Allman Brothers Covers???  Still great shows but yea I thought Purple Rain would be retired by now.

it should be, except for certain occasions. It's phenomenal, it's majestic and it's powerful but man they've played it a shit ton.  a 2 hour and 45 minute festival set?? i cannot wait for the tape to come out of this one, really

im one of the biggest proponents of the Jacket mixing the setlist up to the yesteryears of Come Closer, How Do You Know, How Could I Know, Chills etc, but I gotta admit, these setlists have given me a vast appreciation for the songs I already knew, loved and was obsessed with since I first got into the band and kept coming out as I followed the journey along, like so many other fans. Now, it feels cemented in time when you hear Evil Urges in 2017, you know it's a classic now, it's a masterpiece, it's not dated although that hopeful summer of 2008, while the world was going to hell , is felt in the lyrics and vibe, I was just graduating high school and can sense it every time the intro comes on. Wordless Chorus is a song I can get sick of, having listened to it to DEATH, but maaaan im loving the new extended intro and it just sets people's faces on fire. The new Spring into Off The Record back into Spring wraparound was just delicious.

All in all, I think for a festival since 2012, this is BY FAR AND AWAY the coolest, longest and sickest performance yet.

That LAY LOW      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJSVWTMEsz8    IS SICKKKKK!!

For a 2 hour and 45 minute Jacket show, especially if this was your FIRST, you couldn't be asking for anything else. There's nothing missing. It's the perfect setlist, alongside Lock'N's to get new fans into the band, new pools of funding for the next Jacket adventures and scaling even bigger creative and career heights.

I implore the band to throw in the moodier, weirder songs more often than just sticking to the tried and true. If you're not already a Jacket fan in 2017 and are over the age of 20, then you're probably never going to be a Jacket fan or at least won't be until you jump on the bandwagon of their obvious and immaculate legacy twenty years from now, so why don't the Jacket just bust out the more introspective ones, the more intimate songs.

It's not that they don't want to play them, it's more that they feel a service to the audience to have to play the warhorses to the new fans who need to experience them. That's just fine and everything, but Jacketboys, you could do THAT while also throwing in 3-4 real gems, whichever ones you're in the mood to play on the night, I don't care, just out of THIS rotation pool:

Cobra
Sooner
They Ran
How Do You Know
How Could I Know
Dancefloors  (not a rarity but very rarely played, imo it's 1 of their best showstoppers)
Just One Thing
Chills
Death Is The Easy Way
Rollin Back

I think this would make for such a rewarding experience for band, fans and weirdo 2005 obsessed closet freaks.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

odelljaj

I would add Picture of You to that list.  A hell of a JAM.  Need more of that song played!