New album speculation

Started by dogwoody, Jun 01, 2017, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkwedge

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jul 16, 2017, 08:59 PM
I thought I had read recently (within a week) that Jim stated all they have to do is mix the stuff "leftover" from the Waterfall album recordings and it will come out soonish.
I did read this, maybe what your talking about:

Since you don't have an album to promote this summer, do you have anything new to play?
I don't know if we will, but I've got some new stuff I've been excited about. Everybody's been busy with their family so we haven't had any time to learn new stuff yet, but hopefully we'll find the time.

Are the new songs you're working on for the band or for you solo?
It's kind of a big pile right now. I'm not really sure what will go where.

Around the time you did The Waterfall, you were saying you had enough music for two albums. What happened to the rest of it?
Yeah, we basically made two records. We finished the one that was The Waterfall, and then we went on tour and did yadda yadda yadda, and then in between I'd written all this new stuff that has, like, taken over my focus. So it's almost like the other record kind of got forgotten or shelved for a minute, but just the other day I went back and I was listening to the rough mixes we made at the time, and was really getting into them again. So I feel like that's something that will definitely come out. I don't know if it will be called Behind the Waterfall or something related, but it still exists. It just needs to be mixed.

But Patrick made it sound like they were going into the studio this fall but something came up, so maybe this is what they'll do.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Varitek

So Jim is performing at Sweetwater and Sound Summit in September. I've been wondering if it worked out because he will be back in Stinson Beach working at the studio where they recorded The Waterfall...
"Did he just put on a cape?"

Nikkogino

We got spoiled at the beginning.  Albums and EPs and live albums aplenty.  Now we go years with nothing and the only thing to talk about is how much wonderful union sucks

Lonndown27

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jul 17, 2017, 09:25 AM
We got spoiled at the beginning.  Albums and EPs and live albums aplenty.  Now we go years with nothing and the only thing to talk about is how much wonderful union sucks

ahahahahhahahah! Come on Jacket, read this post RIGHT ABOVE HERE and just give us Okonokos II seriously, Jim said you guys were mixing the live album too, that was April / May 2016.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

parkervb

I read Jim's comments about the songs from The Waterfall sessions as they will release the music at some point, not that it's their next album. 

I do read his comments about having music he's excited about and the band not having time to learn new music along w/ the subsequent Q&A as much more interesting comments. One could read some frustration into it..."i've got some stuff i'm excited about and it's all in a big pile right now until the band has more time"
Don't you ever turn it off

MMJCOBRA

While that's true for official MMJ releases, thats only part of the story. I also consider both of Jim's solo albums, Carl's solo album, Monsters of Folk, Spanish Gold, all of the live download releases, plus the myriad of one off singles, soundtrack contributions and side projects, to be parts of the MMJ whole.

When considered in total, I feel we have been overwhelming blessed as a fanbase with the amount of music the MMJ family tree has provided over the last several years. Now I would certainly like more frequent official MMJ albums, but I still feel that our band are among the hardest working men in music!!!

MOWJO8185

Quote from: unravelled on Jul 17, 2017, 12:14 PM

While that's true for official MMJ releases, thats only part of the story. I also consider both of Jim's solo albums, Carl's solo album, Monsters of Folk, Spanish Gold, all of the live download releases, plus the myriad of one off singles, soundtrack contributions and side projects, to be parts of the MMJ whole.

When considered in total, I feel we have been overwhelming blessed as a fanbase with the amount of music the MMJ family tree has provided over the last several years. Now I would certainly like more frequent official MMJ albums, but I still feel that our band are among the hardest working men in music!!!

I think the under-utilization of the Live Downloads releases is one of the biggest shames, and one thing that would easily keep fans from getting restless waiting for new music, if we had a live release to look forward to every month or two. They could keep everyone up to date on current tours, and could also dig into the archives. If the band doesn't have time to go through T5 and Beacon to make an "official" release, Live Downloads would be a perfect channel to release audio-only of the entire stands. Not to mention just random, one-off gems that could be released.

I get that MMJ doesn't have the infrastructure of Phish to release every show hours after it ends, and from what I understand Ryan Pickett does all the mixing on the live releases, which is why they have all sounded so good, and he's a very busy dude, especially during tour time. But it feels like they could at least get a Wilco-level operation going on, where there are live shows released every few months. It just seems like something that has a ton of potential that they aren't utilizing, and it would certainly keep me from getting restless.

cshum372

Consider too that the studio album is sort of a dying thing..Jim expressed some of his frustrations with the reality of streaming music in that recent interview. There is less incentive for a band to hit the studio every year than there was in the early 2000's.

That being said, it is clearly a format that Jim loves-as evident by his many side projects/ production credits to his name. I think 3-4 years between commercial releases is simply going to become the norm..

oistheone

I will stop impatiently waiting for a new album if the guys would just confirm that Throwback has been recorded and will someday work its way back into setlists.

cshum372

Seriously!! What a great song. Bummed to see it missing from set lists this Summer.  :huh:

Lonndown27

Throwback has such a rip-roaring solo, nothing touches that ACL version
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

teej

Take it with a grain of salt, but someone close to Conor told me over the weekend that a new MoF album is in the works and that the guys are waiting on M. Ward to finish his current project before they get into studio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varitek

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Jul 17, 2017, 12:23 PM

When considered in total, I feel we have been overwhelming blessed as a fanbase with the amount of music the MMJ family tree has provided over the last several years. Now I would

I think the under-utilization of the Live Downloads releases is one of the biggest shames, and one thing that would easily keep fans from getting restless waiting for new music, if we had a live release to look forward to every month or two. They could keep everyone up to date on current tours, and could also dig into the archives. If the band doesn't have time to go through T5 and Beacon to make an "official" release, Live Downloads would be a perfect channel to release audio-only of the entire stands. Not to mention just random, one-off gems that could be released.

I get that MMJ doesn't have the infrastructure of Phish to release every show hours after it ends, and from what I understand Ryan Pickett does all the mixing on the live releases, which is why they have all sounded so good, and he's a very busy dude, especially during tour time. But it feels like they could at least get a Wilco-level operation going on, where there are live shows released every few months. It just seems like something that has a ton of potential that they aren't utilizing, and it would certainly keep me from getting restless.

This
"Did he just put on a cape?"

purplebeeve

Quote from: Varitek on Jul 17, 2017, 07:32 PM

When considered in total, I feel we have been overwhelming blessed as a fanbase with the amount of music the MMJ family tree has provided over the last several years. Now I would

I've often wondered why they don't set up subscription service or go fund me page like to get live shows released.  I would sign up for either.  The last couple of shows have given me that smile again. 

DaydreamNation

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jul 17, 2017, 07:26 PM
I dunno the version that opened the hometown shows last year was pretty  :cheesy: too from the fifth row Jim side!!
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

Lonndown27

Quote from: DaydreamNation on Jul 17, 2017, 10:19 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jul 17, 2017, 07:26 PM
I dunno the version that opened the hometown shows last year was pretty  :cheesy: too from the fifth row Jim side!!

on second examination, I can see great minds think alike, now i know why i hearted that version from Iroqois and five star'd it in my Itunes, i think you're right Daydream

cpsturtevant

Here's a link to an interview from February where Jim mentions the new MMJ album, along with a new solo album being in the works.  :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pVQW7fq51M&t=309s

MMJTX

the only activity on this forum lately has been on the political threads, hoping to change that.

Anyone got any new info on new album or that live album Jim mentioned a WHILE back? I need some newsssss
Anytime

millerjustin

Quote from: MMJTX on Oct 10, 2017, 01:33 PM
the only activity on this forum lately has been on the political threads, hoping to change that.

Anyone got any new info on new album or that live album Jim mentioned a WHILE back? I need some newsssss

nope :( 

the boys are scattered working on side projects and the only events on horizon are NYE and OBH4.  Social media posts suggest they aren't huddled anywhere and their producer collabs (Tucker and Kevin) are also pretty busy working on other things. 

So, if I were to venture a guess, no new studio time until Jan-Feb if they decide to work in between, and if not then April/May/June, which wouldn't get an album drop until late 2018 or even early 2019.  Not sure what this means for summer tour next year, but if they tour, I sure hope they focus on multi-night runs instead of early curfew one-offs with limited set list rotation
What's in here won't disappear

Pesh

Quote from: unravelled on Jul 17, 2017, 12:14 PM

Reading this because I too am missing some MMJ in my life. But I totally agree with this. You don't need Phish-level operations to get it done. Widespread Panic, Strong Cheese, and dozens of other bands turn around live shows pretty regularly (just look at the Nugs app). It doesn't take much, and I can't inagine it would be a major expense. Maybe we need a sound engineer volunteer!  :grin: :grin: