OBH4 - need reassurance help

Started by Landathelost, Jul 01, 2017, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landathelost

Ok, so I am worried about the change to DR.
My sister went to the other OBH's with me but she
is not onboard with the new location. Does anyone have feedback
that has been to both Hard Rocks in question? Just looking for the
right angle to get her excited. I can't afford to lose my travel mate.
Any feedback? Good or bad?

bobmono

I have a friend that has been to multiple Panic en la Playas.  He said that he prefers the DR location over RM.  It may be a little bigger, but change is good and a fresh location will probably keep the organizers/band on their toes. 

I was against it at first, but after being to OBH2 and OBH3, I am looking forward to a change of location.

brob

Not sure how people are feeling on the West Coast but I'm pretty bummed.  Maybe I'm missing something but flights are more expensive and nothing is direct (from SD or LA).  I have been to all three OBH's but will have to think about this one.  Anyone else on the West Coast feeling the same?

rkwedge

Quote from: brob on Jul 02, 2017, 09:26 PM
Not sure how people are feeling on the West Coast but I'm pretty bummed.  Maybe I'm missing something but flights are more expensive and nothing is direct (from SD or LA).  I have been to all three OBH's but will have to think about this one.  Anyone else on the West Coast feeling the same?
I don't think you're missing anything, that's what I see too. We are basically going to spend 2 days just traveling. The shortest flight I have found out of Seattle is one stop and 12 hours total. I still want to go but yes it's a little harder to pull the trigger this time. Hopefully the lineup will make it a no brainer.  :thumbsup:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

bobmono

[/quote]Hopefully the lineup will make it a no brainer.  :thumbsup:
[/quote]

This PLUS table gaming after the late night shows!!!

Crispy

I think a lot of airlines don't have timetables in place yet to Punta Cana for a date that far in the future. For example, no United flights direct from Houston are scheduled then, normally there are two flights a day currently -- and it looks like nobody flies direct to PUJ from the west coast. Keep checking, set up alerts, and flights from the west coast should become more reasonable as the date gets closer.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Hoptimus Prime

Can anyone explain the concert setup at the resort? Mexico was down to a drill for us, now we have new variables! Is there a corridor with rooms that are visible from the stage like at Maya?
5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!

timescaper

all of the previous Cloud 9 shows I think were directly on the beach itself but they do have a patio that looks very similiar to the one in Mexico - not sure which they will use until we get the details

brob

Thanks for all the information.  I hope everything comes together nicely.  Now all we need is a great line-up!

dss

Count this west coaster (SF) as another person who is thrilled there is another OBH, but really bummed about the change, and the complex travel that goes with it. From the West Coast, there really are no good options. Travel is literally twice as long, twice the price, and with crappier flight choices. Getting there generally requires either an overnight in the Southeast (ATL, FLL, or MIA), or a really brutal redeye->layover->connection->night one show arrival routing and coming home most flights leave PUJ in the late afternoon, making connections challenging and arrivals home super late. All in all, it's going to require a LOT more effort and desire to make this happen. A lot of the people we know who have gone in years past from the west coast are bailing this year and it's hard to fault them.

If they could have at least sent out the save the date earlier, I think there would have been way better flight options (more mileage availability, cheaper flights, etc...)

dss

Also, regarding the United PUJ->IAH flight, that would be a great option but United's schedule is loaded for next year through June, including the nonstop from PUJ, but it only flies on certain days of the week (it's available on Thursday 3/8 as an example) so it's unlikely it will get added to help people departing on Tuesday 3/6.

rab7607

I know it will be much different from the West Coast, but I've been researching flights from Pittsburgh. Southwest seems to be the only airline under $1000 as of now. If you sign up for the Chase Southwest Points credit card, you get 40,000 points if you spend $1000 in the first 3 months and pay the annual fee, which I believe is $69. This seems to make sense to do since you can use it to pay for part of OBH4, which is our plan.

From Pittsburgh, round trip will be about 30,000 points and you have to pay the tax, which ends up being $110.26. With the new, larger resort for OBH4, I'm sure the price will go up again this year, so this is a great way to save possibly hundreds of dollars on the flight, which goes a long way since this is such a huge financial commitment for most of us.

Just food for thought for everyone deciding on what to do this year.

Cameron

Varitek

A buddy of mine has traveled to both Mexico and the Dominican Republic for
Widespread Panic's shows. Given the choice of the 2 locations he preferred
the DR over Riviera Maya. He thinks the biggest drawback is simply the travel
to get to the DR. He is returning to Mexico for Panic this year though and digs
how much easier it is to get there.

Just a little food for thought....
"Did he just put on a cape?"

sillyboob

Quote from: Varitek on Jul 11, 2017, 09:04 PM
A buddy of mine has traveled to both Mexico and the Dominican Republic for
Widespread Panic's shows. Given the choice of the 2 locations he preferred
the DR over Riviera Maya. He thinks the biggest drawback is simply the travel
to get to the DR. He is returning to Mexico for Panic this year though and digs
how much easier it is to get there.

Just a little food for thought....

What were his reasons to like the DR over Riviera Maya?  Were the Panic shows at the Hard Rock in the DR?
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

walterfredo

I've not been to the DR venue but several friends have. I think one if the big differences is there's actually a beach. And I believe the stage is setup such that the fans are actually on the beach during the shows.

bobmono

Quote from: walterfredo on Jul 13, 2017, 10:45 AM
I've not been to the DR venue but several friends have. I think one if the big differences is there's actually a beach. And I believe the stage is setup such that the fans are actually on the beach during the shows.

Looking forward to the stage on the beach - I have a friend that has been to HR PC for Panic and he said it makes a huge difference!  He actually does not really love the HR RM setup because of the concert courtyard...

MMJCOBRA

Hopefully they drop the deets on obh4 next week.

slappymoe

Quote from: walterfredo on Jul 13, 2017, 10:45 AM
I think one if the big differences is there's actually a beach.
i see this mentioned quite a bit, and i still wonder what the deal is.  the protected lagoons at HRRM were pretty cool, imo.

the only difference i can see is there will be waves washing up on the beach.  other than being able to actually swim in the ocean, be stung by jellyfish, and be eaten by sharks, what else is there about a "real" beach that so many folks prefer?

bobmono

Quote from: unravelled on Jul 13, 2017, 02:52 PM
Hopefully they drop the deets on obh4 next week.

It has to be soon right?  I'm hoping for a payment plan and I'm sure others are too...