OBH4 - need reassurance help

Started by Landathelost, Jul 01, 2017, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: slappymoe on Jul 13, 2017, 03:03 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Jul 13, 2017, 10:45 AM
I think one if the big differences is there's actually a beach.
i see this mentioned quite a bit, and i still wonder what the deal is.  the protected lagoons at HRRM were pretty cool, imo.

the only difference i can see is there will be waves washing up on the beach.  other than being able to actually swim in the ocean, be stung by jellyfish, and be eaten by sharks, what else is there about a "real" beach that so many folks prefer?

Well, the lagoons were decent but you couldn't venture too far out, the sand was slimey, couldn't take walks in the beach, and the lack of waves all contributed to an artificial feel.

Now if all you want to do is lay out and catch some rays, it may not make much difference.  Personally, that was my biggest issue with the HRRM. We went off site last year for a few days and really enjoyed an actual beach!!! :bath: :bath: :bath:

sillyboob

I see the beach as a big draw, and a big drawback, for OBH4.  Having a real beach to go to, which at Hard Rock RM was just a quick taxi drive away, is going to be really nice during the day, for those who want to swim in the ocean, with waves and all that.

Having a beach to substitute for the concert courtyard is the big drawback, in my opinion, and from what I've read.  Sure, a concert on the sand sounds great, until you realize this is 4 or more hours a night, 4 nights in a row, of standing and shifting and walking in sand.  Unless they're planning on moving the stage away from the beach, which would be new for these DR shows.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

slappymoe

Quote from: unravelled on Jul 13, 2017, 03:42 PM

Now if all you want to do is lay out and catch some rays, it may not make much difference.

yep, aside from tossing the occasional frisbee that pretty much sums me up. :beer:

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: sillyboob on Jul 13, 2017, 04:39 PM
I see the beach as a big draw, and a big drawback.

Having a beach to substitute for the concert courtyard is the big drawback, in my opinion, and from what I've read.  Sure, a concert on the sand sounds great, until you realize this is 4 or more hours a night, 4 nights in a row, of standing and shifting and walking in sand.  Unless they're planning on moving the stage away from the beach, which would be new for these DR shows.

I totally agree. In my perfect world, we could keep the ole concert courtyard from HRRM and have the beach access that the DR will provide (just not for the actual concert).  :)

To me there has never a better place to see MMJ than that courtyard.

sillyboob

Quote from: unravelled on Jul 13, 2017, 11:12 PM

I totally agree. In my perfect world, we could keep the ole concert courtyard from HRRM and have the beach access that the DR will provide (just not for the actual concert).  :)

That courtyard is my heaven.  Especially after this year, with the addition of the taco carts!!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

rkwedge

Quote from: sillyboob on Jul 14, 2017, 10:10 AM
Quote from: unravelled on Jul 13, 2017, 11:12 PM

That courtyard is my heaven.  Especially after this year, with the addition of the taco carts!!!
Yes Yes the post show taco's :cheesy: :thumbsup: Those things were sooooo good. I also agree it's hard to beat that courtyard setup.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

ms. yvon

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 03, 2017, 11:11 AM
I think a lot of airlines don't have timetables in place yet to Punta Cana for a date that far in the future. For example, no United flights direct from Houston are scheduled then, normally there are two flights a day currently -- and it looks like nobody flies direct to PUJ from the west coast. Keep checking, set up alerts, and flights from the west coast should become more reasonable as the date gets closer.
ever the voice of reason and practicality in logistical matters.  thanks crispy!  :beer:
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

rumdiesel

I keep seeing people complain about the sand but seriously how is this any worse/different than standing on the cement in Mexico?  I'm actually looking forward to beach shows!

Bulldog

Quote from: rumdiesel on Jul 17, 2017, 11:52 AM
I keep seeing people complain about the sand but seriously how is this any worse/different than standing on the cement in Mexico?  I'm actually looking forward to beach shows!

What he said....

Born2run

So how hard do you think it'll be for me to get a room having never gone to one before?  I'm really hoping I get one!

teej

Quote from: Born2run on Jul 17, 2017, 08:33 PM
So how hard do you think it'll be for me to get a room having never gone to one before?  I'm really hoping I get one!
It shouldn't be an issue. Previous attendees get first crack at it but it sounds like the HR in the DR is bigger than Riviera Maya. I would think there will be plenty of rooms left for the public sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkwedge

Quote from: teej on Jul 17, 2017, 08:48 PM
Quote from: Born2run on Jul 17, 2017, 08:33 PM
It shouldn't be an issue. Previous attendees get first crack at it but it sounds like the HR in the DR is bigger than Riviera Maya. I would think there will be plenty of rooms left for the public sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree should be plenty of rooms available to people after the previous attendees get first crack. I will leave you this advice, usually the 3 and 4 person rooms go early, you may not get a crack at those but who knows. Also think about it now and be ready to commit when they do come on sale because you don't know how long they'll last. Lastly be prepared for a magical experience with a bunch of amazing people you will meet, it's really cool when you get 2500 or so people at a place like this that all have the love of MMJ in common. Hope to see you down there. :beer:

rkwedge

DaydreamNation

That looks like a pretty solid lineup but why is that Nathaniel Rateliff clown billed above Broken Social Scene? Just saw him at Forecastle and was not at all impressed
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

oistheone

TOOTS!!! ON THE BEACH!!!! I don't know if I could dream up a set more good vibey than that. A+ booking right there.

Cameron

Toots, sylvan, j roddy is more than I could have hoped for.

MMJTX

Absolutely incredible lineup, nothing more to say, in 100%
Anytime

cshum372

Had all plans of making it to my first OBH this year- turns out my wife is pregnant and due in March!! Not disappointed that I will be missing it at all.  :smiley:

For those of you who are going, the lineup looks great- Don't sleep on Hurray for the Riff Raff- their new album, the Navigator is terrific!

walterfredo

MMJCOBRA

Where in the map with the stage be?