OBH 4 - Supporting Band Educated Guesses?!?

Started by Hoptimus Prime, Jul 03, 2017, 04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoptimus Prime

Someone got pretty close for OBH2 - What does everyone think?  Either personal pipe dreams or educated guesses based on who they have been playing with lately...

5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!

MMJTX

PHJB has been almost every year right? So probably them

and others have mentioned J Roddy Walston and The Business as being one of the bands too

One of my hopes is The Marcus King Band
Anytime

Hoptimus Prime

I was hoping for a little Marcus King action as well...  Saw they are joining WSP for Playa in late Feb, so I all but counted that out...

APR

Predictions:

PHJB because they're always there and deservedly so
J Roddy based on other posts
Alabama Shakes  -  not at previous OBH, friends with band, headliner for off night plus dare I say it would be a change of pace to have a female singer once in a while
Barr Brothers -  late winter tour is happening, previous MMJ opener
Strand of Oaks -  friends, previous opener

Cameron

MMJCOBRA

Dr Dog again please!!  War on Drugs would be nice. PHJB guaranteed. Wolf Parade would be fantastic.

I'm always hoping they do an all offshoots fest. Carl Broemel was killer last year. Bring on Jim solo!!!  Spanish Gold live is most excellent and bring on a Monsters of Folk reunion!!!!

Also, how bout some Rod and Gab? 

imamazed

Hoptimus Prime

Jason Isbell played at HR with the Avett Bros and BOH last year (so he has worked with Cloud 9). He also has a damn good current album and European tour ends mid November. That's enough time to recoup and hit the DR. A bit off genre, but I could see it.

Cameron

Stevie

Johnny Fritz seems like the most realistic of all those named so far.  Would be a great set, too.

millerjustin

J Roddy
Moon Taxi
PHJB

Shakes might be a good bet for major undercard (and recall that they were supposed to be at OBH2, but their album drop complicated things)

I'd also love to see some jam band cross over - Marco Benevento late night and/or Tommy Hamilton or such - maybe white denim?  Would LOVE Isbell or Sturgill Simpson, but I suspect the southern ground fest is battling for those acts
What's in here won't disappear

MMJTX

MOON TAXI!!!!!! that would be incredible. One of my favorite live bands.

White Denim would be excellent too they rock.

Tauk would be a fun late night band, they're pretty similar to STS9 so they bring an electronic element, not too sure how many people here would be down for that though
Anytime

millerjustin

Quote from: MMJTX on Jul 05, 2017, 01:19 PM
MOON TAXI!!!!!! that would be incredible. One of my favorite live bands.

White Denim would be excellent too they rock.

Tauk would be a fun late night band, they're pretty similar to STS9 so they bring an electronic element, not too sure how many people here would be down for that though

Tauk killed at Mountain Jam this year - really great set
What's in here won't disappear

Hoptimus Prime

Who is the female voice they invite down (seems to be a good trend)?  Jim is playing with Jenny Lewis, Jacket with Margo Price...

I would love to see someone with a powerful guitar like Doug Martsch.  I'd pay good money to see Jim, Carl, and Dug all wailing on the axe at the same time!

Hoptimus Prime

Anyone remember what the time frame was between "save the date" announcement and full band announcements for OBH 2 & 3?

rkwedge

Quote from: Hoptimus Prime on Jul 06, 2017, 12:38 PM
Anyone remember what the time frame was between "save the date" announcement and full band announcements for OBH 2 & 3?
Last year, OBH3 the "Save the date" email was 3/17/2016 and the full line-up was 5/24/2016. The pre-sale started 6/7/2016. I didn't remember it being that long between but I guess it was.  :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

slappymoe

Quote from: Hoptimus Prime on Jul 06, 2017, 12:23 PM
Who is the female voice they invite down (seems to be a good trend)?
been asking for grace potter every year. she would be a perfect fit.

rkwedge

Quote from: slappymoe on Jul 06, 2017, 04:58 PM
Quote from: Hoptimus Prime on Jul 06, 2017, 12:23 PM
Who is the female voice they invite down (seems to be a good trend)?
been asking for grace potter every year. she would be a perfect fit.
Oh Yeah slappymoe, I can get behind that thought for sure. She would definitely fit in nicely. A few years back Patrick's wife had them over for dinner when they were playing in Louisville so I know there's a connection.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

CC

Hoptimus Prime