Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

(Just for you all who didn't get to see the shaky video and didn't get to hear this show. This is just the audio from a video - Facebook upload in 3 parts from My Morning Jacket Fan Club member Matthew Lewis - 4 of the last 5 songs are missing.)

My Morning Jacket
One Big Holiday 4 - Dominican Republic
Night 2 - March 3, 2018
Audio Only
(Not whole show - 1 hour & 53 minutes - Original Audio from Matthew Lewis' MMJ Facebook Fan Club Video - plus, Kyle H. who uploaded Lay Low)

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Stevie

Quote from: dontgetupset on Mar 04, 2018, 08:20 PM
Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Mar 04, 2018, 06:01 PM
With respect to Denver v OBH. At least Denver didn't go into night 3 all but certain they'd only hear songs from EU, Circuital, and the Waterfall. I mean, woof.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take it. And they are going to rock that shit. But when I go to shows, I typically want to hear as few songs as possible from those last 3 LPs.

I suppose a hard left turn is also possible for night 3. That would be pretty cool. Keep erebody on their toes.

Excellent point. When I complained about 12/31 it was because it was the only one I could go to and I think some may not have fully understood it when they said "don't bash it because Night 1 was great." With this thing every single person hears every single song. Yeah, for me there's nothing too exciting about going through The Waterfall in order but to get back on the plane knowing you heard every (LP) song is super cool.

Went to all Chicago shows, 3 Beacon shows, and many many others waiting for something crazy like this and some (not the ones talking LOUDLY while the deepest cuts were played for the first time in 8 years) of the most dedicated fans were rewarded for their dedication. Bravo!

at the same time, man, i feel like they set up the setlists for the 3 night runs with the idea that most are going to all three nights.  it's extremely irregular that a die hard would only show up for 1 night (not saying it's your fault), so being upset at the band or the experience is weird to me.. i would be more upset at the circumstances that allowed me to only be there for what i perceived as the worst night (bad luck) than anything within the band's control. 

rkwedge

Well said Stevie. Portugal.The Man had a fantastic set tonight and Sylvan Esso was really entertaining, last Hurray for the Riff Raff early set was a dance party. Great off night, heading to late night Moon Taxi  :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

MMJCOBRA

Set list critiques crack me up. I've been on the plus side and the ordinary side on many occasions. Regardless,  I don't think.ive ever left an MMJ show not thinking it was one of the greatest musical experiences of my life. It's all relative and I'd rather be thankful than regretful based on experiences versus what might have beens.

Lonndown27

Quote from: Stevie on Mar 04, 2018, 10:47 PM
With respect to Denver v OBH. At least Denver didn't go into night 3 all but certain they'd only hear songs from EU, Circuital, and the Waterfall. I mean, woof.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take it. And they are going to rock that shit. But when I go to shows, I typically want to hear as few songs as possible from those last 3 LPs.

I suppose a hard left turn is also possible for night 3. That would be pretty cool. Keep erebody on their toes.

Excellent point. When I complained about 12/31 it was because it was the only one I could go to and I think some may not have fully understood it when they said "don't bash it because Night 1 was great." With this thing every single person hears every single song. Yeah, for me there's nothing too exciting about going through The Waterfall in order but to get back on the plane knowing you heard every (LP) song is super cool.

Went to all Chicago shows, 3 Beacon shows, and many many others waiting for something crazy like this and some (not the ones talking LOUDLY while the deepest cuts were played for the first time in 8 years) of the most dedicated fans were rewarded for their dedication. Bravo!

at the same time, man, i feel like they set up the setlists for the 3 night runs with the idea that most are going to all three nights.  it's extremely irregular that a die hard would only show up for 1 night (not saying it's your fault), so being upset at the band or the experience is weird to me.. i would be more upset at the circumstances that allowed me to only be there for what i perceived as the worst night (bad luck) than anything within the band's control. 

also dontgetupset you went to 6 really rare shows! they busted out every one of those nights! be lucky for what youve seen man! love ya dontgetupset!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Jbpats

I would give my left nut to be at this right now, never had a bigger regret in my life then choosing Mad Cool Fest in Spain over OBH this year.

dontgetupset

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 05, 2018, 08:23 AM
Quote from: Stevie on Mar 04, 2018, 10:47 PM

also dontgetupset you went to 6 really rare shows! they busted out every one of those nights! be lucky for what youve seen man! love ya dontgetupset!

Ha! Thanks, Lon. Love you too. I'm very lucky having been to
at least 2 nights of

T5
Port Chester
Chicago
Beacon  and 12/31/17

I'm spoiled. Very excited for tonight! Hoping the livestream is going strong. Someone buy that man a 20,000 amh Anker battery pack!!

MOWJO8185

As sweet as playing their entire discography is (and it is unbelievable, don't ever get me wrong), the ideal sequencing for a 3 night stand would probably be:

Night 1 - Tennessee Fire and At Dawn
Night 2 - work backwards from Waterfall, Circuital and Evil Urges (that way the show ends on Touch Me pt 2)
Night 3 - meet right in the middle at ISM and Z.

I do wonder what the encore holds for us tonight, because there's no way they are ending the getaway with Only Memories Remain. Unless they want to prompt the "OMGzz they are sending a message that only memories will remain of this band because they are breaking up gAAAHH!) folks out there.

gardenparty

I think EU, Circuital and Waterfall all slay live.  each with some monster live staples

Touch Me 1 & 2
Smokin
Highly Suspicious
Evil urges
Victory Dance
Day is Coming
Black Metal
Slow Slow Tune
Like a river
In its Infancy
Spring
Thin Line
Tropics
Memories

All in one night!?!
Yes please!!

parkervb

people may not revere the last 3 albums (well, mostly the last 2 for many people) as much as the first 4 but as gardenparty notes, some real bangers. Add Circuital, Wonderful to that list b/c they are almost certainly getting played, I bet Magic Bullet gets played too. I love the version of First Light they played at last OBH. More rocking.

I wonder if non-MMJ tunes like SOTA or Carried Away get played.

If people have any inclination that there could be a letdown, just know they are going to leave people's jaws on the floor if this is their last show together for at least a yr.
Don't you ever turn it off

Vitz

Quote from: Mr. White on Mar 04, 2018, 08:52 PM
(Just for you all who didn't get to see the shaky video and didn't get to hear this show. This is just the audio from a video - Facebook upload in 3 parts from My Morning Jacket Fan Club member Matthew Lewis - 4 of the last 5 songs are missing.)

My Morning Jacket
One Big Holiday 4 - Dominican Republic
Night 2 - March 3, 2018
Audio Only
(Not whole show - 1 hour & 53 minutes - Original Audio from Matthew Lewis' MMJ Facebook Fan Club Video - plus, Kyle H. who uploaded Lay Low)

THANK YOU!!!!

jttouch2

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 05, 2018, 02:15 PM
people may not revere the last 3 albums (well, mostly the last 2 for many people) as much as the first 4 but as gardenparty notes, some real bangers. Add Circuital, Wonderful to that list b/c they are almost certainly getting played, I bet Magic Bullet gets played too. I love the version of First Light they played at last OBH. More rocking.

If people have any inclination that there could be a letdown, just know they are going to leave people's jaws on the floor if this is their last show together for at least a yr.
I imagine the encore after whatever happens with the last 3 albums will include the solo stuff like SOTA/New Life/Carried Away, and maybe a cover or 2 before OBH drops again

gardenparty

Quote from: jttouch2 on Mar 05, 2018, 02:25 PM

I imagine the encore after whatever happens with the last 3 albums will include the solo stuff like SOTA/New Life/Carried Away, and maybe a cover or 2 before OBH drops again
I'd love to hear them dust off It Makes No Difference

Lonndown27

Its gonna go

EVIL URGES in full
CIRCUITAL
Set break
THE WATERFALL ending with a 15 minute Only memories Remain

Encore break
Sooner
How Could I Know
Chills
Weeks Go By Like Days
O Is the One That Is Real
Grab A Body / ThankYou Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin
Lovin Cup
Losin Yo Head
Lil Billy
Home Sweet Home

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

slappymoe

I bet Magic Bullet gets played too.
that will be my only disappointment, I was really hoping to get magic bullet down here. I'm not counting on anything beyond the 3 albums. Maybe a reprise of One Big Holiday.

But who knows? Gonna be a blast finding out.

Lonndown27

Magic Bullet was so thick and sick in Denver the goddamn live debut!!! If only ten Republicans could hear that song and actually FEEL...

rdylanoconnor

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 05, 2018, 03:33 PM
Its gonna go

EVIL URGES in full
CIRCUITAL
Set break
THE WATERFALL ending with a 15 minute Only memories Remain

Encore break
Sooner
How Could I Know
Chills
Weeks Go By Like Days
O Is the One That Is Real
Grab A Body / ThankYou Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin
Lovin Cup
Losin Yo Head
Lil Billy
Home Sweet Home

That would be so sick!!!  I hope you're right Lonn

jttouch2

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 05, 2018, 06:41 PM
Magic Bullet was so thick and sick in Denver the goddamn live debut!!! If only ten Republicans could hear that song and actually FEEL...
Magic Bullet was pretty neat but that debut of The First Time was so much cooler IMO. Pure bliss right after that EPIC steam engine confetti blast. I mean damn.

Stevie

Quote from: jttouch2 on Mar 05, 2018, 07:45 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 05, 2018, 06:41 PM
Magic Bullet was pretty neat but that debut of The First Time was so much cooler IMO. Pure bliss right after that EPIC steam engine confetti blast. I mean damn.

Yes!  thats where looking at a setlist would never tell the tale.  It was the perfect follow up.  Magic Bullet, eh.  Never really cared for it and the live rendition only slightly improved my opinion on it.

Okay, if they go with the final three albums tonight, thats roughly 33 songs right?  For some reason that seems like way to predictable an ending for what was a highly unpredictable idea.  I just dont see it.

I am guessing they conjur up a 23-25 song setlist with a break in the middle of songs from the final three albums, and then finish with a very lengthy encour of b sides and rarities and covers.  Like, i think Come Closer and Oxen are happening tonight.  As well as It Makes No Difference and Tyrone. 35 to 37 total songs and then a giant exhale from the audience as they announce "we arent going anywhere" before leaving the stage.

Stevie

btw im at work and i cant sort through social media to find the link, but can someone please post the live streamer once it goes live so i can covertly listen?  would be much appreciated!