Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Unreal shows...honestly my biggest gripe was to many severs in the crowd... :cheesy:

Cameron

Left to go see J. Roddy before Waterfall was done. Was encore just OBH?

dexter

any more details.. that girls stream stopped i think before waterfall.. how many encore songs?
was last night the longest show ever?

any closing words like " see you next year"  or anything hinting at the future?

hopefully some more detailed reports roll in as people are waiting at the airport..

ajiacs

Amazing set of shows. I was lucky enough to get a setlist but can't find a way to upload it here. Last night was:
Evil Urges
setbreak
Circuital
Waterfall
encore break
Magic Bullet, One Big Holiday
If my memory is a correct, after OBH they all came together to wave goodbye and Jim thanked everyone and told us to bring this good feeling back into the world and take care of each other. No mention of coming back next year. Amazing experience and after missing NYE in Denver, I am so very grateful that they put this epic run together.

dexter

Quote from: ajiacs on Mar 06, 2018, 08:06 AM
Amazing set of shows. I was lucky enough to get a setlist but can't find a way to upload it here. Last night was:
Evil Urges
setbreak
Circuital
Waterfall
encore break
Magic Bullet, One Big Holiday
If my memory is a correct, after OBH they all came together to wave goodbye and Jim thanked everyone and told us to bring this good feeling back into the world and take care of each other. No mention of coming back next year. Amazing experience and after missing NYE in Denver, I am so very grateful that they put this epic run together.

thanks for the feedback.. amazing  so jealous..  how long was the show you think? i saw people wrote they left early to go see j roddy,  did it crack the 4 hour barrier?

ajiacs

I think it was more like 3.5hrs. 9:15-12:45ish.

Jbpats

Man oh man, have I said yet how not going to this is my biggest regret in a long loooooooong time.
What could they possibly do next year that could top this? I am not one of the 'this is the end of the band' conspirators butttt what I Swan Song this would have been if true.

parkervb

Quote from: Jbpats on Mar 06, 2018, 08:43 AM
Man oh man, have I said yet how not going to this is my biggest regret in a long loooooooong time.
What could they possibly do next year that could top this? I am not one of the 'this is the end of the band' conspirators butttt what I Swan Song this would have been if true.

i hear ya man. I feel so lucky to have seen PC, Beacon, RR16 shows but this has to go down as the greatest run they've had when you take into account the venue and all.

I would speculate no OBH in 2019, but after that idk but I don't think for a second this is over. I could see them taking 2 years off.  I hope these shows come out and that this live LP is real thing.
Don't you ever turn it off

dexter

not a bad way to spend a long weekend..  now i get why they need that night off instead of doing 3 straight...

few (non musical) observations of my experience the 2 days i was there:
if possible i would never miss this again- not sure how this compares to mexico but thought it was great where it was
weather was great
the water was pretty crazy but not problematic as long as you were careful
the staff at the resort were SUPER friendly
I had pretty much the farthest room to anything, 8-10 minute walk to the main food area, to the pools, beach, etc and i didnt think it was an issue whatsoever.  it didnt feel too big a resort ever.
same for the actual concert venue, it always felt like you had a great spot if you were close or "far".  it felt small and roomy.
the one thing i will say is the farther back you are, the more talkers there were- i like to chat quietly for 20 seconds every few songs about the show as much as the next guy, but im talking nonstop full on conversations.  i guess its the non stop booze helps aid this on.
the in concert servers definitely were working hard, super nice and as was mentioned, maybe around a little too much.  (not like they know when dondante is going nuts, they just want to help those with empty drinks)

thought the crowd was great though.. lots of smiles and positive energy, lots of dancing, very few phones out nonstop. having been to my share of phish festivals, people were definitely partying and im all for that, but this didnt have that "overly druggy veneer" to it if you know what i mean.  just felt "cleaner" from where i was and that felt refreshing, even though people were probably doing a lot of the same things, it jsut didnt feel like the sole purpose for people to travel to a beach.  they were there because they loved mmj and wanted to party and not the other way around.

im blabbing.

ok i thought the food was pretty awful.  i didnt get sick or anything but i barely ate.  nothing was tasty and nothing looked good.  if anyone can tell me where they had even decent food id love to know, because next time (please be a next time) if i go for all 4 days, im going to need to eat at some point.

lastly if anyone ever needs a roomate and member LeviK is looking, i cant say enough good things.  Just a super nice, smart, really into music guy that you cant go wrong with whether going to this concert or anything else.  Very solid guy, thanks again for a great weekend..

rkwedge

Time to pack up and leave this magic place  :cry:
What an unreal experience this was, and don't think for a second last nights show was lacking in anything. The boys brought it as usual. I got the honor and privilege to hang out with Tom's mom between the Nathaniel set and MMJ taking the stage. She was as awesome as you'd expect. Easy to see where Tom gets it from. We need a name for these shows as they will go down in infamy like the T5 , PC shows, Beacon Run.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

rab7607

At one point Jim said something along the lines of the end of one thing is the beginning of another. Something like that, but I can't remember the actual phrase. That was the only thing said that may have been a reference the future. It was an amazing night shared with a lot of great people who I'm sure I'll see again down the line.

The only complaint about this trip was the J Roddy late night show. The sound mix was terrible. It couldn't have been the room, because Moon Taxi sounded incredible the night before. I was pretty bummed about that.

APR

Thanks for the reports, and I look forward to reading more of them.  Missing this is a huge regret.  I'm sure the greatness of the shows added to the happy vibe of the whole resort, which could only add to the fun and happiness during the day.  I hope there is a next year and a year after that and after that, etc.

searchinbig

Quote from: rkwedge on Mar 06, 2018, 09:18 AM
What an unreal experience this was, and don’t think for a second last nights show was lacking in anything. The boys brought it as usual. I got the honor and privilege to hang out with Tom’s mom between the Nathaniel set and MMJ taking the stage. She was as awesome as you’d expect. Easy to see where Tom gets it from. We need a name for these shows as they will go down in infamy like the T5 , PC shows, Beacon Run.

So happy for all you folks who made this. History at DR3.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Murph

Anyone meet any of the guys this weekend and want to share some stories?

dr_trousers

If I have to complaints about last night, and holy shit, this is the first world of first world problems. One, I thought last night was a little rushed. It had to be to get in all the songs, but nothing was really stretched out. Two, the sound at J Roddy wasn't good compared to Moon Taxi the night before. Other than that, what an amazing experience. Of course, I'm now in my hotel room looking for a way home since everything into the east coast is closed because of the storm.

MMJCOBRA

I got to talk to Britt Daniels for a bit after his DJ set. First off, it was an actual DJ set. He was spinning records from his own collection. Busted out the Who, Bob Dylan, white stripes,  Prince and the Beatles.

Anyway, after the show I asked if he had a prior musical relationship with Jim James. He said they had played several music fests together but that he had never had a chance to have an actual conversation with him. Britt  did say that he and Jim had been texting quite a bit this week.

ga_bulldawg1999

I will echo what others have said...great shows, great vibe, and great people both working at the resort and attending the shows. Agreed that the whole catalog run-thru took away from the spontaneity that makes MMJ great but nobody can legitimately complain about how the shows went - some amazing bustouts, jams, and solid versions of set staples with PHJB horns.

Didn't see any of the MMJ guys (maybe tonight if they are still around), but ran into John and Zach from Portugal. The Man and Trevor from Moon Taxi, all on more than one occasion, and they were all cool enough to stop and talk to a fan for a bit. John didn't know PtM was headlining their night til they got here and Zach showed me the tattoo he got the night their manager told him Feel It Still hit #1 on the pop charts.

Hopefully it is happening again next year as it may have been my first OBH but I don't see myself not going ever again. To the hiatus rumors, even if the band takes a year or two off, I have to believe they will be back eventually to tear shit up some more...

rkwedge

Quote from: rkwedge on Mar 06, 2018, 09:18 AM
What an unreal experience this was, and don't think for a second last nights show was lacking in anything. The boys brought it as usual. I got the honor and privilege to hang out with Tom's mom between the Nathaniel set and MMJ taking the stage. She was as awesome as you'd expect. Easy to see where Tom gets it from. We need a name for these shows as they will go down in infamy like the T5 , PC shows, Beacon Run.
Update. Tom's mom can down to wish us off this morning even though she wasn't leaving (how sweet was that) Got to Punta Cana Airport and who is right behind us at the American Airlines check in, Jim and Bo. We respect their privacy but when they came thru customs they got a load applause. Soon after Tom walks thru toting his carry-on bass guitar  :cool: We decided to fly first class this time as we have 9 hours of flying today back to Seattle. Who shows up on the flight to Miami, Jim and Bo. It's like being in the presence of a Devine spirit  <3 I only asked Jim how his voice was doing and in a low graveling sounding voice he just said so so. So wanted to ask about next year but didn't feel it appropriate after they just gave everything they could possibly have given.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

walterfredo

Great story. I would hope they too were rawkn first class!

Come Closer

Quote from: dexter on Mar 06, 2018, 09:10 AM
not a bad way to spend a long weekend..  now i get why they need that night off instead of doing 3 straight...

few (non musical) observations of my experience the 2 days i was there:
if possible i would never miss this again- not sure how this compares to mexico but thought it was great where it was
weather was great
the water was pretty crazy but not problematic as long as you were careful
the staff at the resort were SUPER friendly
I had pretty much the farthest room to anything, 8-10 minute walk to the main food area, to the pools, beach, etc and i didnt think it was an issue whatsoever.  it didnt feel too big a resort ever.
same for the actual concert venue, it always felt like you had a great spot if you were close or "far".  it felt small and roomy.
the one thing i will say is the farther back you are, the more talkers there were- i like to chat quietly for 20 seconds every few songs about the show as much as the next guy, but im talking nonstop full on conversations.  i guess its the non stop booze helps aid this on.
the in concert servers definitely were working hard, super nice and as was mentioned, maybe around a little too much.  (not like they know when dondante is going nuts, they just want to help those with empty drinks)

thought the crowd was great though.. lots of smiles and positive energy, lots of dancing, very few phones out nonstop. having been to my share of phish festivals, people were definitely partying and im all for that, but this didnt have that "overly druggy veneer" to it if you know what i mean.  just felt "cleaner" from where i was and that felt refreshing, even though people were probably doing a lot of the same things, it jsut didnt feel like the sole purpose for people to travel to a beach.  they were there because they loved mmj and wanted to party and not the other way around.

im blabbing.

ok i thought the food was pretty awful.  i didnt get sick or anything but i barely ate.  nothing was tasty and nothing looked good.  if anyone can tell me where they had even decent food id love to know, because next time (please be a next time) if i go for all 4 days, im going to need to eat at some point.

lastly if anyone ever needs a roomate and member LeviK is looking, i cant say enough good things.  Just a super nice, smart, really into music guy that you cant go wrong with whether going to this concert or anything else.  Very solid guy, thanks again for a great weekend..

Re: how it compares to Mexico. Big step up imo.

Re: food. Believe it or not I thought the food was slightly better than Mexico. The buffets are all terrible, but I thought dinner at the Asian and Italian place was decent.

Re: people having full convos. I observed this as well. Got to the point where I watched some of the shows back behind the OBH sign next to the long pool. Still awesome sound and the light show was great from back there.