Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron

We thought the food was fine. Pizza place was decent. Hibachi thing at Zen was fun. Italian was Italian. I actually had a really good ribeye at toro. Omelette station for breakfast was good. Only did late night room service once but chicken strips did the trick. Some of the poolside stuff looked bad and buffet lunch didn't look good but after reading about Mexico we were pleasantly surprised.

dexter

I ate at the falefal/shawarma middle eastern place and got a grilled chicken w avocado sandwich and it was cold, slimy and not good. Wasn't sure how they called it "grilled"

Then went to the Italian place. Figured fried calamari would be good since they just fry the heck out of it but it was a little rubbery and slimy and not great tasting. The marhgarita flatbread was decent enough though.

MMJCOBRA

parkervb

that's awesome rkwedge! I'm certain they appreciated you respecting their space, especially when traveling.
Don't you ever turn it off

dexter

night one was really cool.  i just wish i had moved up a bit closer to avoid all the talking.  but to hear a lot of those songs (for the first or second time) was a treat.
night two was one of the best days of music in a long time for me.  i never saw spoon before and they were a really good choice to open for mmj i thought, really whetted the appetite so to speak.  anyway i was pretty sure it would be albums, but hearing the opening track it was all smiles.  i had actually heard z at t5, but it was still awesome.  ism though is such an awesome album, and its so long, its such a monster...when i go to concerts of bands i love, i always want more.. some bands entire show would be the length of ism, and then to get z on top of that- and then just saturday night party full cobra.. it was a great night i wont ever forget.  id like to talk more about the music, but how many times can one say somehtign liek "oh that was the best pww, dondante, etc.. "  they always feel awesome.  the whole vibe of the event was great, awesome, positive, fun but some serious rock n roll..

i really dont know what to make of all the hiatus/breakup talk.  there were moments onstage that just oozed this positive, awesome energy, like a greater than the sum of all parts feeling, that i dont think those guys would want to give up on.  just felt like that really cant be it for good. maybe i was seeing what i wanted to see, but it looked and felt electric..  i could see a break, sure, but its not like jim has been restricted from doing his own thing the last few years, so im not really sure why that long a break would be needed.  i dont know any of those guys and wouldnt have a clue what it is really like to be in a band a long time, but it just looked like a lot of love as a total outsider looking up at the stage..

i hope this isnt it.. i had a blast and really want to go back, and i am bummed i couldnt make the final night- i love the last few albums and think there are some great songs.  but im glad for the time i was able to be there..

dexter

also pretty remarkable to do get people to travel to 4 nights in the carribbean, play 10 hours of music, and no covers, and not really a repeat.. the obh doesnt really count given the circumstances ya know? 

only a handful of bands can do that.. kudos and thanks!

Come Closer

I missed this, who ended up winning the balcony contest? I liked the banner with all the album covers on it. Michael Jackson hanging the baby off was pretty good too.

MOWJO8185

How soon is too soon for us to flood management's inbox and make sure they release these boots? I can definitely wait another month or two like usual to get them... i just need a statement of intent that we are in fact getting them!

Cameron

don't hold me to this but someone close to the band said they have a 3 year contract for obh in pc.

could be bullshit but that's what we were told. made me feel better about a possible hiatus past this year.

TOOGANS

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 07, 2018, 03:33 PM
How soon is too soon for us to flood management's inbox and make sure they release these boots? I can definitely wait another month or two like usual to get them... i just need a statement of intent that we are in fact getting them!
Patience..all is in order.  :thumbsup:

jttouch2

Quote from: TOOGANS on Mar 07, 2018, 03:59 PM
I hope you're a person who's well in the know about these being released because my hopes are sky high

RobRoy286

It will be such a shame if these shows don't get released :(

Mr. White

By My Car

Into The Woods

Just One Thing

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Come Closer

Quote from: jttouch2 on Mar 07, 2018, 04:25 PM
I hope you're a person who's well in the know about these being released because my hopes are sky high

Sound guy iirc so yes reliable. We eatin good.

Rupert230

Not much to add but here's my 2 cents...

Regarding the hotel it's bigger than last year (my first OBH was 2017) but all to the good, surprisingly.  More for kids to do (Kids Club was great).  Much better, in fact terrific beach, even though it was so rough they only allowed swimming the first day.

Food is not overall great but I wonder whether the food naysayers tried lunch or dinner at Ipanema.  They had a decent buffet followed by some truly superb roast meat they bring around and carve at your table (several cuts of beef, chicken, pork lamb).  Between that and the breakfast buffets I was pretty happy.  Also heard good things about the Mexican restaurant though we didn't try it.

Like others have said, people were super nice, both staff and attendees.  I'd agree it was a pretty "clean" vibe though make no mistake there was plenty of weed around.  I met really  nice people.

Before I get to MMJ I have to mention that I'm a big fan of PTJ and they killed their set.  Much better than the only other time I saw them live, and it was hugely fun to meet other fans who appreciate where they are in their journey— a band who has found their groovy, psychedelic  voice and is in full bloom.

I am a pretty big MMJ fan but not hardcore enough to know precisely what was happening on night 1.  It blew me away and I knew the set list had to be putting a big smile on diehards ' faces, but not until the next day did I know it had been TF and AD in their entirety.
Nonetheless I loved every moment of the show and knew it was legendary just from how freaking great it was!

Night 2 was my nirvana, hearing my husband's favorite album back to back with my own.  It was a special night and a phenomenal show.  And yes, Cobra was incredibl

Night 4 was also terrific.  It opened up Waterfall to me in a whole new way and I've been listening to it since, finding so much new (to me).

Does anyone know where the idea for OBH came from?  It is such a great concept and even more incredibly SO WELL EXECUTED— never feels crowded, totally mellow and constantly mind-blowing at the same time.  I will never miss it if I can help it!  I hope there's a 2019 though it sounds like maybe not.  Anyway I'd bet pretty high that it's going to happen again!

rkwedge

Fun fact, as I continue to process these great shows I think of little moments, after Evil Urges the song finished the last night, Carl's little boy brought out his guitar for Touch me part 1. Such a precious moment and a smiling ear to ear dad thing. I didn't talk to many people who saw it but I sure hope a video surfaces.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Lonndown27

Toogans knows
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MOWJO8185

Ooh yeah I've PM'd back and forth with TOOGANS a couple times in the past on the bootleg series. He definitely knows. Which, given his response, is great news!!

jttouch2

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 07, 2018, 08:52 PM
Ooh yeah I've PM'd back and forth with TOOGANS a couple times in the past on the bootleg series. He definitely knows. Which, given his response, is great news!!
WOOHOO

Lonndown27

Quote from: Osistheones on Mar 07, 2018, 07:04 PM
Quote from: jttouch2 on Mar 07, 2018, 04:25 PM

Sound guy iirc so yes reliable. We eatin good.

Why did ya go.and do that?? Toogans is supposed to be a secret hahah
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018