Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thom Joad

Started with the last night first:

https://archive.org/details/mmj2018-03-05.flac

By this point in the weekend I had misplaced my windscreens, so this one was with no "protection."  Of course, this night had the most breeze out of the 3.  However, as I was converting and tracking it, I noticed most of the wind noise was between tunes.  Not sure which gods were smiling on me that night, but I'm glad they did.  Perhaps they were making up for not allowing me to get Portugal the Man since it was way too windy for their set.

Now for the talkers.  As people have said, it was pretty bad back by the board.  After the first night, I was considering moving closer to the stage just to get away from them, but the security of putting my stand at the VIP area fence won out and I stayed there.  Not sure why people would spend that amount of money to go talk to their friends about random things, and not pay attention to the bands, but to each their own I guess.

Excellent shows all around!  Hopefully tonight I'll get to the Saturday night sets.  The Friday night ones are going to be incomplete and take some more work, so I'm saving them until last.  I'll post here when they're up.

dss

LBSUNFLWR

Thanks so much for the work you put into this. Excited to hear it.

jttouch2

Quote from: Thom Joad on Mar 08, 2018, 08:45 AM

By this point in the weekend I had misplaced my windscreens, so this one was with no "protection."  Of course, this night had the most breeze out of the 3.  However, as I was converting and tracking it, I noticed most of the wind noise was between tunes.  Not sure which gods were smiling on me that night, but I'm glad they did.  Perhaps they were making up for not allowing me to get Portugal the Man since it was way too windy for their set.

Now for the talkers.  As people have said, it was pretty bad back by the board.  After the first night, I was considering moving closer to the stage just to get away from them, but the security of putting my stand at the VIP area fence won out and I stayed there.  Not sure why people would spend that amount of money to go talk to their friends about random things, and not pay attention to the bands, but to each their own I guess.

Excellent shows all around!  Hopefully tonight I'll get to the Saturday night sets.  The Friday night ones are going to be incomplete and take some more work, so I'm saving them until last.  I'll post here when they're up.
Sounds excellent so far!!!!! Talkers really aren't getting in the way much I think. Thank you so much!!!!!

APR

Quote from: jttouch2 on Mar 07, 2018, 08:57 PM
Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 07, 2018, 08:52 PM
Ooh yeah I’ve PM’d back and forth with TOOGANS a couple times in the past on the bootleg series. He definitely knows. Which, given his response, is great news!!
WOOHOO

So great to get confirmation from Toogans.  I am very excited to hear these shows!  Thank you!!

RobRoy286

Sounds good, thank you! Do you know how I could listen to this show on the Relisten app? I thought it synced everything from archive automatically but I don't see it.

Cameron

I saw Carl's son bring him the guitar. Cool indeed.

We happened to be walking to the venue for the last two shows at 9, when the guys were arriving by golf cart. Pretty cool to see them right before going on like that. Patrick was even driving one of them.

dexter

toawrds the end of z i think someone through a boatload of glow sticks at carl and the look on his face like "really dude??" - i dont think anyone understood why someone would think thats a good idea in the middle of a sick show like that..

jttouch2

Quote from: dexter on Mar 08, 2018, 11:48 AM
toawrds the end of z i think someone through a boatload of glow sticks at carl and the look on his face like "really dude??" - i dont think anyone understood why someone would think thats a good idea in the middle of a sick show like that..

It seems like thats a pretty common thing at a lot of their shows sadly. I remember Jim got hit by one at OBH3 and there were lots of glowsticks near missing them on NYE.

parkervb

why would anyone who wants a great show throw anything at all at a band? It's one of the most selfish things you can aside from holding your phone directly in view of the person behind you taking video.

If I saw this, I'd have to channel my inner Jules and  say "throw a glowstick at Carl again" and give em this stare

Don't you ever turn it off

Come Closer

Yeah I don't really get the appeal of the glow sticks. It's supposed to look cool to grown adults? There's an awesome non-stop light show right above the stage.

whojoejones

Dude.  Thank you so much!  Lovely stuff.

gardenparty

the elusive complete TTF performance still remains uncaptured in the wild

slappymoe

Quote from: Osistheones on Mar 08, 2018, 12:41 PM
Yeah I don't really get the appeal of the glow sticks. It's supposed to look cool to grown adults? There's an awesome non-stop light show right above the stage.
we were wondering about the genesis of it all........at what point in time, what year, what city, what band, what venue.....when, exactly, did the first fan sneak in the first glowstick and hurl it thru the air during the concert?

i'd love to know, 'cause they need to be slapped.

we had quite a graveyard of popped balloons and deflated beach balls around us.  it's cute at first, but i came to watch the shows, not dodge projectiles for 3 hours.

having said that, i thought the bear was hilarious.

Woody

Quote from: Osistheones on Mar 08, 2018, 12:41 PM

I blame Phish, as always.

ditty

We had a fabulous time at our 4th OBH, and felt extremely grateful to attend, with the band treating us to their wonderful catalog, in order of release.  We met so many great people, and it was awesome to see many, many, old faces as well.  We enjoyed the beach, arriving 2 days early, and spent WED, THU, FRI & SAT on the beach and SUN & MON at the pool, since the oceans was not happy.  On a side note, I believe this beach has red flags ALOT!  I have a friend who attended this place twice for conventions, and both times it was red flagged, and now OBH.  Of course the full moon contributed.

I want to thank the band.  I had a chance to meet and shake Tom's had right before PTM.  All I could think to say was, "thank you for all the band is giving us and tell him, he constantly had the hugest smiles nights 1 & 2." (see pics others post).  He replied, of course.

Regarding the venue, yes it was bigger, but it didn't feel that way to us.  Mostly because I studied the map before hand and we were in an "A" building.   The food was once again very good, IF you ate at the restaurants.  The Fox Brothers BBQ was OK at best.  The chicken was cold and the ribs were very tough, and we were there at the very beginning.  For folks that didn't eat good, skip the buffets.  We at at Los Galos and Zen twice each, along with a 3 a.m. pizza, from Pizzeto.  The restaurants were very big and handled the crowds well.  Also, my stomach handled the DR better than Mexico.

Regarding the talkers, I believe the extra 1K contributed to this.  I met a few people that didn't know the first 4 albums were played nights 1 & 2, along with an older gentleman that enjoyed night 1, but skipped night 2.  He had a blast night 3, and thought he would see night 4 from the back, in a sofa.

On our transportation out of the venue, a manager got on the buss and rara'd us, said he is now the biggest MMJ fan, and we were the best crowd ever.  He also mentioned there were 3,700 attendees.   
100204 102305 112506 80711 71412 7050613 OBH14151718 6232415 71815 5121316 52616 62217 81017 8020319

Lonndown27

Quote from: gardenparty on Mar 08, 2018, 01:12 PM
the elusive complete TTF performance still remains uncaptured in the wild

AHAHAHAHAHHA
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

BWE

Making friends

Is everyone here on this forum also in the FB group? I was hoping to meet a few more people and make lifelong friends, but to be fair, my husband and I were on a mini-moon and not being as outgoing as usual. I spent two mornings in the spa using resort credits and then by the time we made it out to the pool – and we went to one of the smaller ones because it was easier to find chairs there – we just lounged and ate and watched the turtles swimming by. But everyone that we did talk to was nice; we just never talked long enough to exchange names.

Next year's dates

It was our first OBH and probably not our last. There's a tiny of part of me that's hoping it's the same weekend next year, which is also my folks' 50th wedding anniversary, which means we wouldn't be able to go. And then there's a huge part of me that hopes it shifts just a little bit and that the temptation turns out to be too great and I make another unsound financial decision (we just put our wedding on plastic, so there's a reckoning on the way) that my husband will give me crap about until we're there and he's having the time of his life.

In one way, I'm happy to hear the rumor that they signed a 3-year contract with the HRHPC, and in another, I was sort of hoping for a change of scenery. Don't get me wrong, based on the reports, this venue was way better than Mexico, but I'd love going somewhere new (and slightly closer). And while we didn't have any travel issues, I would definitely look into pre-nights next time; as long as it's not super early, I think post-nights might be too depressing, at least at the same resort. The overbooked airline's offer of a $1000 voucher and extra all-inclusive night was so tempting, and then when I was standing in that awful second screening line (where they take your passport away from you), I was really wishing I'd taken it.

Chatter & tall people

So, I was a little concerned because while I like MMJ and had been to one show before, I'm not a super fan. Like, I didn't know the other band members' names – I know them now (even recognized Tom standing in line on the same flight home) – or all of the albums. That said, this was an AWESOME introduction and I feel so privileged to have been able to hear all 7 in order. I especially loved Night 1. That said, we got pretty close to the stage, Jim side, like 10 rows back if there were rows, and I was going insane with the chatter. I don't even know all the songs – some it was the first time I've ever heard them – and for that very reason, I wanted people to shut the hell up.

And I saw that some of the tall people were getting shit from the short people, and there were a couple in front of me (somehow the same dude stood in front of me EVERY time) that were annoying, but I could've moved, or he probably would've let me in front. Tall people can't help being tall, but people can SHUT up, not throw stabby glowsticks and sticky drinks, and not wave their totems in your face. I think theme night is fun, but some people's hats/costumes were kind of a pain in the crowd...maybe that could be more of a daytime thing? I've been to plenty of big festivals, and I was expecting a little more out of this crowd honestly. It was a lot of the same inconsiderate behavior you see at any other festival – maybe the difference is that people at OBH are so happy to be there that they're more tolerant of the idiots? Anyway, I REALLY HOPE THEY GIVE US THE RECORDINGS and that you can't hear all the chatting.

Food and beer share

According to FB – that bastion of truth – lots of people got sick. I have a pretty strong stomach and didn't, but I didn't feel particularly well the whole time – but that's probably due to the booze, carbs, and sugar more than anything. I wasn't over or underwhelmed by the food. Zen and Ciao were fine. The lunch buffet with the ramen and poke (yes, I ate raw fish) was pretty good. I thought the late night room service was pretty poor, but not awful...and while it looked dodgy, I thought it was nice that they had food out by the stage because it was really easy to sort of forget to eat. I also feel in love with the empanadas at the coffee stand.

More bathrooms for us lowly folk with super far away rooms would've been nice. There was one time where I looked at the line and knew it would actually be faster to walk back to the room, but then I couldn't still hear the music.

We only went to one activity, the beer share, and that was pretty fun...and we got to see Britt Daniel walk by before his show. I wish they had put up signs to organize the beer by type and/or region, but I know this is the first year Cloud 9 took over and the little mugs were a cute touch.

Okay, I didn't mean to write this much...

Summary: had a great time; want to go again.

ranyart

I'm not a jealous or envious kind of person, but chatter about these shows is pushing the limit.  Three nights and seven albums including every MMJ song they have ever released is mind boggling.  Work will never allow us to attend given the current timing of this event which is even more unfortunate because my birthday happened to fall on the last night of this year's fun where they played for 3.5 hours.

I'm glad folks enjoyed the shows and definitely wish we could have been there.  I echo the hope the band finds a way to get proper copies of the shows in the hands of fans!

Cameron

Lack of bathrooms around the venue would probably be my biggest complaint.