Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thom Joad

Thanks for the notation help.  New text files soon.

With today's email I don't feel as bad about losing part of the first night.  I'll still upload what I have in the next few days though.

I got an email about the improper track split between In Its Infancy and Get To the Point.  I'll get new files up for those two at some point for the purists.

Sorry for the amateur hour stuff.  I assure you I've been doing this a long time, just not as much recently.  My first MMJ show/upload was when they opened for Wilco summer '05.  After their set ended my wife and I simultaneously said the billing should have been the other way around.  Super glad we got to do this 13 years later.

Lonndown27

Quote from: Thom Joad on Mar 12, 2018, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the notation help.  New text files soon.

With today's email I don't feel as bad about losing part of the first night.  I'll still upload what I have in the next few days though.

I got an email about the improper track split between In Its Infancy and Get To the Point.  I'll get new files up for those two at some point for the purists.

Sorry for the amateur hour stuff.  I assure you I've been doing this a long time, just not as much recently.  My first MMJ show/upload was when they opened for Wilco summer '05.  After their set ended my wife and I simultaneously said the billing should have been the other way around.  Super glad we got to do this 13 years later.

Judging by your recordings AMATEUR is the LAST word id use to call you by. You've been fantastic Thom Joad! We wouldnt get to hear these shows until theyre released if it wasnt for you. Dont beat yourself up about those types of things! All is well and all can be fixed!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MMJCOBRA

In case anyone missed it, downloads of the entire shows will be provided to attendees.

Thom Joad

https://archive.org/details/mmj2018-03-02.flac

Finally got around to converting the first night.  This one was a little tougher sound quality wise. Since I was over in the corner of the VIP area this night (and not more centered as I was for the other two) had to add some gain and fix the L/R balance.  Hopefully it came out OK for casual listening.  Also, this is the worst of the 3 for talkers.  It got tough to listen to at some points and I've become conditioned to them over the years.  The party of people in the left channel were pretty drunk, and acting like they wanted me to tell them to quiet down just so it could be made into an issue, so I just shot a few hairy eyeballs their way and hoped for the best.  I hope they hear this at some point and realize how dumb their conversations sounded in comparison to what was going down on stage.

As I said before, I had some battery cable issues.  I debated not uploading any tune that was cut, but since this was the only recording (until the official release), I decided to do them as well.  The end of "I Think I'm Going To Hell" is cut.  The beginning of "Lowdown" starts for 10 sec., then a quick cut, but the majority of the tune is there.  I wasn't even going to include "Honest Man" as it has 2 cuts, but I figured someone might want to hear a part of it.  Then the end of "If It Smashes Down" has a cut but it's almost at the very end.

Hope everyone enjoys it!

ditty

Quote from: Thom Joad on Mar 20, 2018, 08:13 AM
Hope everyone enjoys it!

Thank you for all your efforts hauling equipment, patience to tape, balance, edit, upload etc!

It's About Twilight Now was louder than the talkers :grin: and sounds very good.

I laughed my ass off at the women talking at 1:35 of "I Will Be There When You Die" talking about how much she loves live music and spends all her excess money on in her life....ha.  Must have been there to see PTM and NR.
100204 102305 112506 80711 71412 7050613 OBH14151718 6232415 71815 5121316 52616 62217 81017 8020319

rkwedge

Quote from: ditty on Mar 20, 2018, 10:38 AM
Hope everyone enjoys it!

Thank you for all your efforts hauling equipment, patience to tape, balance, edit, upload etc!

It's About Twilight Now was louder than the talkers :grin: and sounds very good.

I laughed my ass off at the women talking at 1:35 of "I Will Be There When You Die" talking about how much she loves live music and spends all her excess money on in her life....ha.  Must have been there to see PTM and NR.
In all fairness she never said she could be quite during her love of live music. :wink:

Thanks again Thom Joad for all your efforts.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Lonndown27

Quote from: rkwedge on Mar 20, 2018, 11:13 AM
Quote from: ditty on Mar 20, 2018, 10:38 AM
Hope everyone enjoys it!

In all fairness she never said she could be quite during her love of live music. :wink:

Thanks again Thom Joad for all your efforts.

sounds fantastic!!! i guarantee the band just told you or Ryan Pickett did, to not release the full recording of this night to get the fans to buy the downloads. Which any fan would be nuts not to do, but these recordings are fantastic and we can compare the sbds to them and make sure. One of the most interesting Jacket bootlegs is one I have of the first or second night at Fillmore 2005 when Okonokos was being filmed and recorded. Hearing them play the actual versions that would come out on the album was sick, never a cut. just love having it ALL.

Thom Joad, YOU are another Pat Myers disciple of Jimachrist
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

warrenfse

Thank you for recording!  Why would you fly to paradise, to see your "favorite" band, and talk all the way through the shows?  What a waste of money.

sillyboob

Quote from: warrenfse on Mar 20, 2018, 03:04 PM
Thank you for recording!  Why would you fly to paradise, to see your "favorite" band, and talk all the way through the shows?  What a waste of money.

100% agree!!  It was pretty bad this year, way worse than OBH 2 & 3.  I guess with the event getting bigger, it's fewer diehard fans and more partying types attending.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

rkwedge

Quote from: sillyboob on Mar 20, 2018, 03:50 PM
Quote from: warrenfse on Mar 20, 2018, 03:04 PM

100% agree!!  It was pretty bad this year, way worse than OBH 2 & 3.  I guess with the event getting bigger, it's fewer diehard fans and more partying types attending.
I feel really fortunate, must have been in a sweet spot. I only had annoying talkers on night two, a group of three came and set up shop by us and started the chat circle, well we quickly let em know shut up or move on and they did leave without incident. I found the wait staff more annoying than the talkers, and god bless them they do an awesome job but there's one coming past you ever 1-2 minutes. A little more organization like giving each one a section or small quadrant to handle that way 6-10 of them aren't asking you how your doing all the time. They are such nice people who mean well too that it's hard not to just let it go. I had a lot of fun dancing and laughing with them so it is what it is. The Sound Board recordings will surly help get rid of that crowd chatter.

Lonndown27

So as far as Phone Went West goes...from OBH4 night I how was it compared to say this list of the greatest Phones:

RR2012
Beacon 2015
NYE 2017
Terminal 5 2010
RR2015
RR2016
Capitol theatre 2012
ForestHills 2017
SLC2012 its the first and i was there so i gotta put it

To name my favorites. Where does it fall??

millerjustin

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 22, 2018, 08:47 PM
So as far as Phone Went West goes...from OBH4 night I how was it compared to say this list of the greatest Phones:

RR2012
Beacon 2015
NYE 2017
Terminal 5 2010
RR2015
RR2016
Capitol theatre 2012
ForestHills 2017

I think it fell in line with NYE17 given the same lyrical revisions (lock on your heart) and the arrangement was very close to that version as well (which makes sense).  The set placement outside of album order made sense too given its appropriate encore treatment.

Hard to "rank" overall on that list, but I'd like to think the NYE17 and OBH4 versions mark a 3.0 era for this great song - 2012 saw it evolve significantly and now we are seeing it in a new light

I'm not sure SLC 2012 was the "first" live PWW was it?!?!
What's in here won't disappear

jttouch2

Quote from: millerjustin on Mar 23, 2018, 09:03 AM

RR2012
Beacon 2015
NYE 2017
Terminal 5 2010
RR2015
RR2016
Capitol theatre 2012
ForestHills 2017

I think it fell in line with NYE17 given the same lyrical revisions (lock on your heart) and the arrangement was very close to that version as well (which makes sense).  The set placement outside of album order made sense too given its appropriate encore treatment.

Hard to "rank" overall on that list, but I'd like to think the NYE17 and OBH4 versions mark a 3.0 era for this great song - 2012 saw it evolve significantly and now we are seeing it in a new light

I'm not sure SLC 2012 was the "first" live PWW was it?!?!

It was the first one with the alternate jammed-out ending I believe

Lonndown27

Yes THAT'S what i meant hahah

ericm

RR2012
Beacon 2015
NYE 2017
Terminal 5 2010
RR2015
RR2016
Capitol theatre 2012
ForestHills 2017

I can't comment on the OBH4 one as I wasn't there, but for me out of those on your list, The Beacon 2015 is #1 and honestly it would rank there out of all the ones I've seen, not just the six or so I've seen from your list.

I will give the nod to most underrated or at least not talked about as much PWW of the ones I've seen to the Forrest Hills 2017. Man that one went off that night, and with the visuals it was one that's deserving of some praise.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

rkwedge

Quote from: ericm on Mar 23, 2018, 03:22 PM

RR2012
Beacon 2015
NYE 2017
Terminal 5 2010
RR2015
RR2016
Capitol theatre 2012
ForestHills 2017

I can't comment on the OBH4 one as I wasn't there, but for me out of those on your list, The Beacon 2015 is #1 and honestly it would rank there out of all the ones I've seen, not just the six or so I've seen from your list.

I will give the nod to most underrated or at least not talked about as much PWW of the ones I've seen to the Forrest Hills 2017. Man that one went off that night, and with the visuals it was one that's deserving of some praise.  :thumbsup:
I think Beacon would have my vote to, just need that awesome soundboard recording of it to be certain  :wink:(Come on Live album) OBH4 was great, RR2016 was great and just went back and listened to Forest Hills, pretty great too. I think your right Eric underrated along with Gideon from that show. What a great show that must have been. I also always lean on RR2012 just for the fact that it is the best sounding of any of the live performances  recorded not named Okonokos.  :headphones:

Lonndown27

Quote from: rkwedge on Mar 23, 2018, 04:13 PM
Quote from: ericm on Mar 23, 2018, 03:22 PM

RR2012
Beacon 2015
NYE 2017
Terminal 5 2010
RR2015
RR2016
Capitol theatre 2012
ForestHills 2017

I think Beacon would have my vote to, just need that awesome soundboard recording of it to be certain  :wink:(Come on Live album) OBH4 was great, RR2016 was great and just went back and listened to Forest Hills, pretty great too. I think your right Eric underrated along with Gideon from that show. What a great show that must have been. I also always lean on RR2012 just for the fact that it is the best sounding of any of the live performances  recorded not named Okonokos.  :headphones:

so many damn good Jacket shows to dissect and get into. There's so much to discover, even for fiends like us you'll NEVER get done hearing it all. I think we're gonna need 2018 to catch up with these guys!!!

we have the full footage of Bonnaroo 2006 now

we have the official OBH4 recordings which are three 3 hour shows containing every LP

we have a live album and possibly a DVD coming officially from the band

we have all 3 Denver shows to still dissect and understand, with full footage and audio.

So much to discover. so much to see.

GTGUGriff

Finally got around to converting the first night.  This one was a little tougher sound quality wise. Since I was over in the corner of the VIP area this night (and not more centered as I was for the other two) had to add some gain and fix the L/R balance.  Hopefully it came out OK for casual listening.  Also, this is the worst of the 3 for talkers.  It got tough to listen to at some points and I've become conditioned to them over the years.  The party of people in the left channel were pretty drunk, and acting like they wanted me to tell them to quiet down just so it could be made into an issue, so I just shot a few hairy eyeballs their way and hoped for the best.  I hope they hear this at some point and realize how dumb their conversations sounded in comparison to what was going down on stage.

As I said before, I had some battery cable issues.  I debated not uploading any tune that was cut, but since this was the only recording (until the official release), I decided to do them as well.  The end of "I Think I'm Going To Hell" is cut.  The beginning of "Lowdown" starts for 10 sec., then a quick cut, but the majority of the tune is there.  I wasn't even going to include "Honest Man" as it has 2 cuts, but I figured someone might want to hear a part of it.  Then the end of "If It Smashes Down" has a cut but it's almost at the very end.

Hope everyone enjoys it!

The talkers were bad. I wonder if it was because these are their first two albums. With the evolution of the band I think it is safe to say there are fans that arent that familiar with these albums. It was annoying but in person I didn't notice where I stood.

Did you happen to tape any of the other sets? I am trying to find NR and the NS SOB to The Shape Im in back to SOB.

millerjustin

Quote from: GTGUGriff on Mar 28, 2018, 02:44 PM

Hope everyone enjoys it!

The talkers were bad. I wonder if it was because these are their first two albums. With the evolution of the band I think it is safe to say there are fans that arent that familiar with these albums. It was annoying but in person I didn't notice where I stood.

Did you happen to tape any of the other sets? I am trying to find NR and the NS SOB to The Shape Im in back to SOB.

I filmed that live on FB - search me on FB - it's set to public
What's in here won't disappear

Lonndown27

Quote from: GTGUGriff on Mar 28, 2018, 02:44 PM

Hope everyone enjoys it!

it's not a good omen then if these people are going to talk during their most fabled albums (meaning first two nights, third night I cant hear it as badly). Its very sad that all they're into is Victory Dance, Circuital, Touch Me II, Black Metal and Wordless and wanna go down there to get plowed , but shit, isn't it about the music? If you've never heard those albums, fine, but wouldn't it be interesting to be able to say the first time you heard At Dawn and Tennessee Fire WAS LIVE??? IN FULL??? and now a small minority of the people who can say that, will not remember most of it due to drunken conversations.

I felt a presence of this type of crowd at the 12/31-1/1 show at 1st Bank Center. It was one of the greatest nights of my life, but shit, to say there weren't any weird presences merely there for getting trashed is a straight up illusion.

I love getting fucked up TO the music!!! Maybe covering my mouth and saying a tid bit like a geek to my girlfriend "This is the first time since Terminal5!" or "this is the shortest Cobra ever" etc. but if you become aware you're bothering people either knowingly or unknowingly at an MMJ show, ya just stop right there because...this is an experience....and you don't ruin a Jacket show for someone, that's a cardinal sin damnit