Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillyboob

Quote from: rkwedge on May 18, 2018, 03:47 PM
Quote from: MamaKel on May 18, 2018, 03:18 PM
When Jeem sings, " 'cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around", he drew out the syllables on "around" and it sounded so circular...like you could really hear the reverberations and echoes in the air. That's part of why it is one of my favorite songs to hear recorded live...it really takes the shape of whatever space it is occupying...and it sounds weird, but the way he sang "yer buddy" was really heart wrenching. And so many new Carl licks...or at least the mixing was good enough to hear them...heard some cool stuff from him on The Dark. Pat's drums were super clear on that one, too. I am only a few hours in, and this shit is just an exploration in sonic wizardry at every turn.
Sonic Wizardry is a good description. Carl has put some new licks in on a lot of these songs and it sounds so amazing. You may be only a few hours in but these will be with you a lifetime. It's hard to imagine thru their first 7 albums that we will ever get anything better than this. When watching this live I kept thinking that they really put some time in rehearsing this stuff for it to sound soooooo gooooood. I've been getting emotional every time I listen to any of it and hope that never fades. :beer:

I read somewhere that after soundcheck Bo was backstage (or in their warmup room) practicing almost up to showtime for night one.  The preparation definitely shows. 

Between the incredible sound quality (props to you TOOGANS!!!) and the intense preparation, these downloads are definite treasures!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

gardenparty

Butch Cassidy became one of my favorites after hearing it live at T5

the outro of repeated  "defeat just hanging around"  chills

Lonndown27

Quote from: jttouch2 on May 17, 2018, 11:06 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 17, 2018, 09:27 PM
Quote from: teej on May 17, 2018, 08:12 PM
Made it to Night 3 on my listen and it reminded of a thought I had while there, albeit in a different state of mind. I feel like Touch Me Pt. 1 does not always get its due credit, mostly because Pt. 2 is such an absolute monster of a song, but damn...Pt. 1 is awesome too.
I prefer Part 1 greatly over Part 2.
Seconded

woooooah guyzzz let us not get carried away hahha
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Clarkwork

That riff at the end of Cobra when Jim is fantastic. 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

rkwedge

Quote from: MamaKel on May 18, 2018, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry to keep talking about this, but I have so much wonder in my brain...
What the hell kind of emotional whirlwind was "I Needed It Most"? Why is that not played like "I'm Amazed"?! Who was doing the heavenly harmonies? Why did I never feel that song all these years?
Do not be sorry at all. That's what this forum is about. I can't stop listening to these wonderful recordings myself and I was there. I've always loved this song and OMG this was a heavenly version. It was both "Carlos" and Bo on the harmonies. Another underrated aspect of Bo.  :headphones: <3
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

RobRoy286

Bo is fucking incredible and yes his vocals are super underrated. I think we all jump to assuming it's all Carl.

RobRoy286

Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 18, 2018, 05:25 PM
Quote from: jttouch2 on May 17, 2018, 11:06 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 17, 2018, 09:27 PM
Quote from: teej on May 17, 2018, 08:12 PM
Made it to Night 3 on my listen and it reminded of a thought I had while there, albeit in a different state of mind. I feel like Touch Me Pt. 1 does not always get its due credit, mostly because Pt. 2 is such an absolute monster of a song, but damn...Pt. 1 is awesome too.
I prefer Part 1 greatly over Part 2.
Seconded

woooooah guyzzz let us not get carried away hahha
They always tear up the end of Part 2, especially the last few years. But the song kinda bores me. I think it's a bit overrated.

APR

Listening to these shows reminds me of the pain I felt while sitting at home while these shows were actually taking place.  I've only listened to night 1 (more than once) so far, and I have a new and greater love for At Dawn.  I figured the less recognizable back up vocals were Bo.  His and Carl's compliment each other so well.  Jim, of course, sounds unreal. 

Great sound in stuff.   Thank you Toogans and the band for releasing these shows. 

Lonndown27

Quote from: APR on May 19, 2018, 03:25 PM
Listening to these shows reminds me of the pain I felt while sitting at home while these shows were actually taking place.  I've only listened to night 1 (more than once) so far, and I have a new and greater love for At Dawn.  I figured the less recognizable back up vocals were Bo.  His and Carl's compliment each other so well.  Jim, of course, sounds unreal. 

Great sound in stuff.   Thank you Toogans and the band for releasing these shows. 

Bo and Carl's harmonies glide together and swim so beautifully...it always has been like that...which is madness. Bo and Carl are like a giant mountain of limbs meshed together that has a 3rd eye for a brain...just anticipating and knowing all...and emanating the most godly noises and precious tones of love to all of us bespotted beneath.

I Needed It Most makes me piss tears of fun and whimsical madness.
I have never heard Bo and Carl sing like that underneath Jim...it was just different. There was some 70s soul cracker to it...with the UHHHHHHHH's during the verse....

the bass being bowed by Tom makes such an outta this world vibe...then the eletric piano tinkling in with rain drops...this arrangement better be done every tour for the next lifetime. Definitely on my list for must see songs, by ANY artist.

Those who were there are such lucky fuckers!!!!

Rkwedge, i'm so glad you were there
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

RobRoy286

Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 19, 2018, 06:27 PM

Bo and Carl's harmonies glide together and swim so beautifully...it always has been like that...which is madness. Bo and Carl are like a giant mountain of limbs meshed together that has a 3rd eye for a brain...just anticipating and knowing all...and emanating the most godly noises and precious tones of love to all of us bespotted beneath.

I have never heard Bo and Carl sing like that underneath Jim...it was just different. There was some 70s soul cracker to it...with the UHHHHHHHH's during the verse....

the bass being bowed by Tom makes such an outta this world vibe...then the eletric piano tinkling in with rain drops...this arrangement better be done every tour for the next lifetime. Definitely on my list for must see songs, by ANY artist.

I never appreciated that song until listening to night 1 a few days ago. Everything just stopped and I was listening more intently than I've ever listened. Shed a tear. Wow.

Lonndown27

Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 19, 2018, 07:33 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 19, 2018, 06:27 PM

I never appreciated that song until listening to night 1 a few days ago. Everything just stopped and I was listening more intently than I've ever listened. Shed a tear. Wow.

now that's some white lightning right there Robb my boy, holy shit....that's what makes these live albums so perfect for us fans.

It'll make the studio tracks even better.
The songs even better.
It's like a study into the band and what they've left us with.
A legacy of perfection , love, raw power and beauty. A stunning combination of magic, reality and bliss.
The one that hit me first , was when the shows were happening and I was at work at the liquor store, in the back stocking shelves with my phone hooked into my charger and the OBH4 live streams (any of them I could find,THANK U MATT!!!!!) going (i caught 98% of it!!!!)  and when If All Else Fails began, I thought they were covering something from ALL THING MUST PASS...when I realized Jim had written something so precious, then they presented it that way...unreal...it gave me such an appreciation for that song that I didn't have whatsoever, I didn't really like it at first. But now, it's definitely at least in my top 30 songs, which says A LOT

Lonndown27

that Honest Man.....wow....

I usually don't pick that song outta my mind as one I like to listen to, let alone see live, but as a big time rock and roll fan , especially the Stones...

HOLY SHIT

I have to see this band play that one live next show, my 6th.

The "Honest Man"  they played at OBH4 is the best they ever did, to these ears...maybe that's an initial stoned reaction, but those fucking guitars take me home to sweetSallybigTitsjesusontheExileOnMainStreetHomeSickBlues by gawd ....

rkwedge

Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 19, 2018, 09:11 PM
that Honest Man.....wow....

I usually don't pick that song outta my mind as one I like to listen to, let alone see live, but as a big time rock and roll fan , especially the Stones...

HOLY SHIT

I have to see this band play that one live next show, my 6th.

The "Honest Man"  they played at OBH4 is the best they ever did, to these ears...maybe that's an initial stoned reaction, but those fucking guitars take me home to sweetSallybigTitsjesusontheExileOnMainStreetHomeSickBlues by gawd ....
Glad it opened your mind. I've always liked that song. I remember at OBH3 I thought how cool it would be if Gary Clark Jr. joined them for that song. Well he didn't and when they did play it on the last night I remember thinking fuck they didn't need him at all. HaHa
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

DaydreamNation

I'd imagine the ship has sailed on this, but if anyone still has an extra code I'd sure appreciate it!!
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

Lonndown27

Quote from: DaydreamNation on May 20, 2018, 12:22 AM
I'd imagine the ship has sailed on this, but if anyone still has an extra code I'd sure appreciate it!!

Pm me

iLikeBeer

Anyone have a belated bday gift of some extra codes they'd like to share???   :beer: :beer:

Lonndown27

what's the greatest versions on these discs?

mine so far that have revealed themselves:

- Just Because I Do (that piano led jam at the end as i call it the "honky tonk version" is excellent)
- Honest Man   (undoubtedly the best i've ever heard, those guitars rage and sear)
-Cobra (obviously...what a joke that performance was...couldnt even fathom they did that)
- the George Harrison version of " If All Else Fails" is the definitive version of that song
- that insanely chilling I Needed It Most as well

happy birthday I Like Beer

Come Closer

Night 1 is incredible. Even better than I remember. One of my favorite recordings of this band.

oistheone

I was not at the event but have been enjoying the hell out of the recordings. Who the hell was singing the second chorus of "Into The Woods"?! Had this blasting over dinner tonight and both me and my partner nearly spit out our food, we were so shocked. That was not Jim... was it?! Almost sounded auto-tuned! Whoever it was, it sounded fucking fantastic!

tmz

Picking songs out is pretty tough, because as soon as I think of a few, I hear some others that clearly deserve to be on any list. ;)

I really like night 1 as well.  If someone asked me a year ago for a wishlist of songs, I wouldn't have had nearly as many tracks from those albums as I would now that I've heard them played as they were here.

• Just Because I Do
  • Hopefully
  • Phone Went West
  • Just One Thing
  • Dondante
  • Cobra

Just Because I Do and Hopefully are both new favorites that pull me in each time they come on.  Looking back, I did see Hopefully live once before, in 2015 at the Tower in Philly.

I've always liked Just One Thing and haven't heard it live often enough.

No matter how many times I've heard Phone Went West and Dondante live, these take me back to the shows, under the moon.  Dondante was particularly mesmerizing, at least for me, that night.

And a full version of Cobra?  It's hard not to include that too.

Of course, if I answered this question yesterday, or tomorrow, or a week from now, it would be different (though Dondante would be unlikely to change -- I listened to that many times after the show thanks to Matt's tapes).

So those songs (plus the other 80 tracks) are the current highlights for me.