Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jttouch2

Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 21, 2018, 06:17 PM
what's the greatest versions on these discs?

mine so far that have revealed themselves:

- Just Because I Do (that piano led jam at the end as i call it the "honky tonk version" is excellent)
- Honest Man   (undoubtedly the best i've ever heard, those guitars rage and sear)
-Cobra (obviously...what a joke that performance was...couldnt even fathom they did that)
- the George Harrison version of " If All Else Fails" is the definitive version of that song
- that insanely chilling I Needed It Most as well

happy birthday I Like Beer i hope you enjoy my gifts!
They Ran has an awesome jam, love that it stays on the more reserved side but that they still get down with it. It's About Twilight Now and Easy Morning Rebel kick some major butt too.

jttouch2

Quote from: oistheone on May 22, 2018, 12:18 AM
I was not at the event but have been enjoying the hell out of the recordings. Who the hell was singing the second chorus of "Into The Woods"?! Had this blasting over dinner tonight and both me and my partner nearly spit out our food, we were so shocked. That was not Jim... was it?! Almost sounded auto-tuned! Whoever it was, it sounded fucking fantastic!
It was definitely Jim, I watched a video on youtube as soon as I heard that version to be sure lol. I don't know what exactly he did to be able to sound like that, but he got those REAL high notes out pretty well in the 2nd chorus like that so good for him!

tmz

I was not at the event but have been enjoying the hell out of the recordings. Who the hell was singing the second chorus of "Into The Woods"?! Had this blasting over dinner tonight and both me and my partner nearly spit out our food, we were so shocked. That was not Jim... was it?! Almost sounded auto-tuned! Whoever it was, it sounded fucking fantastic!

As far as I recall, Jim did all of that.  I like that song because it's so silly.  Someone near me that night groaned a little when it was about to start.  I tried to stick up for it, but I don't think she was persuaded of it's value that night.

rkwedge

Quote from: tmz on May 22, 2018, 12:27 AM

As far as I recall, Jim did all of that.  I like that song because it's so silly.  Someone near me that night groaned a little when it was about to start.  I tried to stick up for it, but I don't think she was persuaded of it's value that night.
They did it in sound check also. I guess Jim really wanted it to sound good.  Gives me chills! I'm still narrowing my list down but Nashville to Kentucky, Just One Thing and If All Else Fails will make it and of course Cobra
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

tmz

Quote from: rkwedge on May 22, 2018, 12:37 AM
They did it in sound check also. I guess Jim really wanted it to sound good.  Gives me chills!

Oh, that's right.  You've got a better memory than I do.  I remember being happy thinking that I might get to hear that track as one of the deep cuts over the next few days.  I didn't think for a minute that we were about to hear all the deep album cuts.

Quote from: rkwedge on May 22, 2018, 12:37 AM
and of course Cobra

:smiley:

I'm sure that the lists of top-N songs for everyone will vary wildly, given how diverse their catalog and fan-base are.  It'd definitely be interesting to see what tracks end up on the most top-N lists.

slappymoe

on the opposite side of things, his vocals on dondante left a lot to be desired.

jttouch2

Quote from: slappymoe on May 22, 2018, 08:43 AM
on the opposite side of things, his vocals on dondante left a lot to be desired.
He had a pretty rough go at Only Memories Remain as well, but thats not an easy song to sing at all, especially as the 33rd song of the night

stxfan10

Still bummed I chose the NYE run and OBH4, and missed out on this rarity laden goodness.
Looking forward to listening to Night 2.
Any good samaritans have an extra code they'd be willing to share with a fellow fan?

RobRoy286

Second chorus of Into the Woods definitely sounds auto-tuned.

wheelhousetunes

Quote from: rkwedge on May 15, 2018, 02:24 PM
Quote from: jttouch2 on May 15, 2018, 02:17 PM
is FLAC-HD worth the extra $ over FLAC?
I'd say so, it's 24 bit vs 16 bit.
So for those that went for the HD tracks of this - are you happy with them?

Thinking of springing for the upgrade....

rkwedge

Quote from: wheelhousetunes on May 22, 2018, 12:28 PM

You won't regret that choice.  :thumbsup:

Lonndown27

I wonder how they sound. The MP3s are some of the greatest MP3s I've EVER heard probably THE best. Ryan didn't just do a good job on these, he took the presence and atmosphere of those shows and put them in an open shotgun cartridge, then began dumping a myriad of assorted paints into the cartridge , using red and blue to denote The Waterfall , green for Circuital, orange for At Dawn, brown for It Still Moves, yellow for Evil Urges, black for Tennessee fire and a weird off purple for Z and then shoved the barrel into our ears and pulled the trigger and a mixmash of everything , including the years and the images , the tours , all these incarnations of these songs and they all just explode into our brains through the ever beating ear drum....

Ryan has destroyed our greatest dreams
Raising the ante until we can't believe they exist anymore
How can one believe it can be this good?
More incredibly,
How crazy is it that these shows ARE that good??
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

tmz

Quote from: rkwedge on May 22, 2018, 01:00 PM

Some of it depends on how/on what equipment you listen.  It's really hard for me to tell a difference between the CD-quality flac and flac-hd on any of the players I have (but none of those are high end systems).  Of course, that might not always be true so I don't regret the flac-hd upgrade at all.

Plus, the cost difference is not that great considering the 9 hours of music you get.  And maybe it's wishful thinking, but perhaps if the recordings generate a little more revenue we'll be more likely to see more of them in the future.  In any event, if the extra dollars won't impact you much it's well-worth sending to the MMJ team as a thank you for the time spent producing such wonderful recordings.

Lonndown27

Quote from: tmz on May 22, 2018, 02:28 PM
Quote from: rkwedge on May 22, 2018, 01:00 PM

Some of it depends on how/on what equipment you listen.  It's really hard for me to tell a difference between the CD-quality flac and flac-hd on any of the players I have (but none of those are high end systems).  Of course, that might not always be true so I don't regret the flac-hd upgrade at all.

Plus, the cost difference is not that great considering the 9 hours of music you get.  And maybe it's wishful thinking, but perhaps if the recordings generate a little more revenue we'll be more likely to see more of them in the future.  In any event, if the extra dollars won't impact you much it's well-worth sending to the MMJ team as a thank you for the time spent producing such wonderful recordings.

THIS!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

RobRoy286

Quote from: stxfan10 on May 22, 2018, 10:33 AM
Still bummed I chose the NYE run and OBH4, and missed out on this rarity laden goodness.
Any good samaritans have an extra code they'd be willing to share with a fellow fan?
I was at NYE and after seeing the setlists of OBH, I too was a little deflated. As time has passed and I've listened to the soundboards, I've come to appreciate the NYE run even more. One of the best parts of Jacket shows - the anticipation of which song is coming next. We got some of the best covers they've ever done, notably America and Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You. Also got the debut of two originals in The First Time and Magic Bullet. The shows gave us great segues including Aluminum Park/Beats 4 U, Evelyn/Slow (!!!), the classic War/IWSYS, and Smokin fading out with Jim's dark sludge tones into...Hopefully? Couple that with all the talkers at "BroBH" and it's nice to appreciate those 3 nights in Colorado.

Whatever I gotta tell myself to get over missing OBH, haha.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 22, 2018, 07:44 PM
I was at NYE and after seeing the setlists of OBH, I too was a little deflated. As time has passed and I've listened to the soundboards, I've come to appreciate the NYE run even more. One of the best parts of Jacket shows - the anticipation of which song is coming next. We got some of the best covers they've ever done, notably America and Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You. Also got the debut of two originals in The First Time and Magic Bullet. The shows gave us great segues including Aluminum Park/Beats 4 U, Evelyn/Slow (!!!), the classic War/IWSYS, and Smokin fading out with Jim's dark sludge tones into...Hopefully? Couple that with all the talkers at "BroBH" and it's nice to appreciate those 3 nights in Colorado.

Funny that you mention "the talkers".... I thought the same thing while listening.
Between the amount of $$ it cost to be there, and the fact of the RARE opportunity and privilege it was to witness every album in 3 nights... I could not believe all the random banter, especially during a once in a life time experience of witnessing By My Car, LIVE!
Maybe just me... maybe I'm the crazy one
Everyone I know that I have ever been to a Jacket show with, know not to talk to me for 3hrs, except to ask if I need a beer refill... :grin:

RobRoy286

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on May 22, 2018, 07:55 PM

Funny that you mention "the talkers".... I thought the same thing while listening.
Between the amount of $$ it cost to be there, and the fact of the RARE opportunity and privilege it was to witness every album in 3 nights... I could not believe all the random banter, especially during a once in a life time experience of witnessing By My Car, LIVE!
Everyone I know that I have ever been to a Jacket show with, know not to talk to me for 3hrs, except to ask if I need a beer refill... :grin:
My man! By My Car is my favorite part of the whole release. And yes it's crazy how many people talked during songs and/or didn't know the songs being played. I stayed with a friend in Colorado and brought him to the shows. He enjoys Jacket but not like I do. After night 1, he told me that he picked up on the fact that I don't appreciate talking during songs. A smart man.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 22, 2018, 08:35 PM

My man! By My Car is my favorite part of the whole release. And yes it's crazy how many people talked during songs and/or didn't know the songs being played. I stayed with a friend in Colorado and brought him to the shows. He enjoys Jacket but not like I do. After night 1, he told me that he picked up on the fact that I don't appreciate talking during songs. A smart man.

Hahhaha! That's great!

At the time of the shows, I took my my 5, 9, and 17 year old sons to the Beacon shows...
And they didn't even speak!! They were too busy picking their jaws up off of the floor

rkwedge

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on May 22, 2018, 08:52 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 22, 2018, 08:35 PM

Hahhaha! That's great!

At the time of the shows, I took my my 5, 9, and 17 year old sons to the Beacon shows...
And they didn't even speak!! They were too busy picking their jaws up off of the floor
Your a great dad to take your kids to the Beacon shows.  :thumbsup: I can't explain the talkers either, my thing is if you are there just to socialize go to the back and have at it, the music won't be as loud to talk over and you won't be annoying people who really want to listen to the magic be cascaded upon them. It's really very selfish not to respect the band and it's fans and I worry that will never get better.

mmjaus

Hi All, Looonnngggg time lurker, first time poster.

I am not sure if I have posted in the right spot though....

I just want to pass on how grateful I am am to EVERYONE who brought OBH4 to life. I travelled from Australia to be there and it did not disappoint. I had always regretted not going to T5 due to my silly over zealous dedication to my job so OBH4 seemed like a beautiful reward! I feel blessed to have heard these songs!

Favourite song of OBH4: By My Car (a little piece of heaven (what ever that is?))
Favorite album of OBH4: TTF (though I tend to be obsessive and am still on Day 1 and looking forward to Circuital).

Sorry if my friend chatted during concerts though he is not a mega fan and was on the other side of the world for me so......if he pissed the 3 guys from Chicago off during PWW, I did tell him to be cool!

Love to all and enjoy these incredible sounds!

Fling open the windows....