Summer Tour 2017: By the Numbers

Started by cshum372, Aug 13, 2017, 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cshum372

It's official; Summer Tour is over. 14 dates spanned over a period of 3 months.  While the tour saw stellar playing from the Boys throughout, many are disappointed by the lack of variation in set lists. Most surprising to me, is that right before they went out Jim did an interview where he told fans to expect a lot of changes.  Looking at this tour compared to say, Fall of 2015, one can conclude that did not happen. Of course there were not any multi night stands during this tour. For anyone who saw any shows this summer (I was lucky enough to make it to 2) we can all agree that all is well on the MMJ Express . This tour saw some new extended jams added to songs, and all in all it feels like this band is STILL hitting their stride.
Here are the numbers for Summer Tour 2017:

Total Shows Played: 14
Total Songs Played: 58 (yes, only 58!)
10 most common songs:

Circuital (14 times)
Compound Fracture (14 times)
Off the Record (12 times)
One Big Holliday (12 times)
Touch Me Part 2 (12 times)
State of the Art (12 times)
Wordless Chorus ( 12 times)
I'm Amazed (12 times)
Spring (Among the Living)( 11 Times)
Victory Dance ( 11 times)

Breakdown per album:

Tennessee Fire:

The Bear
War Begun (3)
The Dark
Pictures of You

At Dawn:

The Way He Sings (4)
Lowdown
Bermuda Highway
Phone Went West (6)
X Mas Curtain (2)

It Still Moves:

Mahgeetah (11)
Dancefloors
Golden (6)
Masterplan
One Big Holliday (12)
I Will Sing You Songs (4)
Steam Engine (6)
(End of) Run Thru (6)
Just One Thing

Z:

Wordless Chorus (12)
It Beats 4 U
Gideon
What a Wonderful Man (2)
Off the Record (12)
Lay Low (9)
Anytime
Dondante (4)

Evil Urges:

Evil Urges (7)
Highly Suspicious
I'm Amazed (12)
Touch Me Part 1 (2)
Touch Me Part 2 (12)

Circuital:

Victory Dance (12)
Circuital (14)
Outta My System (4)
Wonderful ( 7)
Holding on to Black Metal
First Light (2)
Slow, Slow Tune

The Waterfall:

Believe (4)
Compound Fracture (14)
In Its Infancy (7)
Spring (Among the Living) (11)
Thin Line
Tropics (11)

Others:

O is the One that is Real
Carried Away
A New Life (8)
State of the Art (12)

Covers:

Yes We Can Can ( Allen Tousaint) (2)
Que Sera Sera ( RayEvans)
Purple Rain (Prince)
Gentle on My Mind (Glen Campbell)
Blowin' in the Wind ( Bob Dylan) (3)
Melissa (Allman Brothers)
All Things Must Pass (George Harrison)
Beautiful Ones (Prince)
Give Peace A Chance ( John Lennon)

Varitek

Great work, I love analyzing tour stats..
"Did he just put on a cape?"

cshum372

Quote from: Varitek on Aug 13, 2017, 11:40 AM
Great work, I love analyzing tour stats..

Thank you! Same here. I have always been a " numbers guy", I attribute to a lifetime of being a baseball fan.  :cool:

opsopcopolis

Seems like less variety than usual, no?

rkwedge

Nice work cshum372  :thumbsup: It may seem a little lack of variety, but considering there were no multi night shows and the band seemed to bring it every show, I'd call it a successful mini summer tour. Next stop Broomfield  :cheesy:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

cshum372

Quote from: rkwedge on Aug 13, 2017, 12:13 PM
Nice work cshum372  :thumbsup: It may seem a little lack of variety, but considering there were no multi night shows and the band seemed to bring it every show, I'd call it a successful mini summer tour. Next stop Broomfield  :cheesy:

Agreed! :thumbsup:

DayDrinkin

I'd be pretty much fine if all the songs played double-digit times were played half as much and replaced by MMJ songs that have fallen by the wayside.

Emb1528

Definitely a nice little mini tour. I'd say the boys were on fire this go around. Jamming out much more for sure.
Doesn't matter what you're doin', as long as you're losin' your head

midwesterner

Interesting that Cincinnati got 6 songs only played once and 2 song only played twice on the tour. Definitely feel like that was the most unique set list of the tour. I think the songs count for Broomfield should be around 70-75. So hopefully we see a little more variety to what has already been played this years.

Mr. White

Quote from: midwesterner on Aug 13, 2017, 02:25 PM
Interesting that Cincinnati got 6 songs only played once and 2 song only played twice on the tour. Definitely feel like that was the most unique set list of the tour. I think the songs count for Broomfield should be around 70-75. So hopefully we see a little more variety to what has already been played this years.

I went to 2 shows (Cincinnati and Columbus - Ohio). So glad those shows were stand-out ones for this tour. I love any MMJ show I attend though.

As far as song count for a 3 Night Run goes, I've only been to one (Chicago 2015), and they played 67 songs (only 1 of those was a cover - not counting Jim and Carl songs as covers). Those New Years Eve shows should be outstanding! Wish I could go.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

cshum372

Don't sleep on Peach! If you're a fan of the "jam" side of Jacket there's lots of gold there..I am a little partial I suppose, but I would say it's a contender for best show of the tour.

Shug

Interesting to me that the show with the most variation was the first night of the tour, Cincinnati,The only The Bear and Dancefloors of the tour and one of three War Beguns looks good to me. But it looks like they tried out some variety initially and then decided to lock in a pretty stable repertoire after that, although they did a nice job of mixing up the sequence.  Wilco has done that this year, too, cut way down on the variety in their setlists.  Its not a trend that I like, but if they rip it up on the same songs each night, they are still ripping it up.  I like to have variety AND ripping playing, but you can't have it all, right?

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

APR

Yes Shug, sometimes with this band you can have it all.  Variety AND ripping it up is what makes us see multiple shows and is why this band is so special. 

Thanks for the stats 372.

midwesterner

Quote from: Mr. White on Aug 13, 2017, 03:42 PM
Quote from: midwesterner on Aug 13, 2017, 02:25 PM

I went to 2 shows (Cincinnati and Columbus - Ohio). So glad those shows were stand-out ones for this tour. I love any MMJ show I attend though.

As far as song count for a 3 Night Run goes, I've only been to one (Chicago 2015), and they played 67 songs (only 1 of those was a cover - not counting Jim and Carl songs as covers). Those New Years Eve shows should be outstanding! Wish I could go.

I was basing my guess of the song count for NYE off the fact that NYE shows have been typically a bit longer and that there won't be repeats each night.

Shug

Quote from: APR on Aug 13, 2017, 09:01 PM
Yes Shug, sometimes with this band you can have it all.  Variety AND ripping it up is what makes us see multiple shows and is why this band is so special.

Ha ha ha, you are right APR and you saw right through my only semi-sincere attempt to try to look on the bright side, good for you!!!  With Jacket, we will get it all, most likely when they do more multi-night runs, prob. in Colorado or better yet in smaller theaters next year!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

millerjustin

these stats are a bit off - I suggest tracking set lists closely
What's in here won't disappear

midwesterner

Quote from: millerjustin on Aug 14, 2017, 11:16 AM

Care to elaborate on how they are off?

cshum372

Quote from: millerjustin on Aug 14, 2017, 11:16 AM

There's an edit button- if you have verified that something is incorrect I can make a correction. I ran this through a spreadsheet, updating after each individual show. Is there a possibility I made a mistake? Of course.

Crispy

Nice work cshum! The only differences I found were that I counted:
3 Blowin' in the Winds
7 Evil Urges
6 Goldens
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

cshum372

Quote from: Crispy on Aug 14, 2017, 02:04 PM
Nice work cshum! The only differences I found were that I counted:
3 Blowin' in the Winds
7 Evil Urges
6 Goldens

Thanks Crispy, I have made these edits!  :thumbsup: