Main Menu

Tom Petty

Started by rkwedge, Oct 02, 2017, 03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkwedge

Please say it isn't so. RIP Tom Petty
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

LBSUNFLWR

I'm only seeing critical condition after cardiac arrest last night...where did you read that?

this is horrible horrible news.

rkwedge

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 02, 2017, 03:54 PM
I'm only seeing critical condition after cardiac arrest last night...where did you read that?

this is horrible horrible news.
Cameron Crowes twitter.  This day just sucks big time!

LBSUNFLWR

This is the worst news. I am so sad.
I'm so glad I saw them this summer on the 40th anniversary tour...and many other times.
Wildflowers is one of my all-time favorite albums in the history of music.

rkwedge

I just saw him Aug 19th in Seattle, my 6th time seeing him. A truly great song writer. It's just about the worst news that could have happened after the Las Vegas tragedy last night. Heart goes out to the band, Tom's true family.

sillyboob

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

hoojack

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 02, 2017, 04:09 PM

Wildflowers is my number 1 go to road trip album. If I'm in a car longer than 2 hours there's a 99.9% chance it will be played.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: hoojack on Oct 02, 2017, 05:37 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 02, 2017, 04:09 PM

Wildflowers is my number 1 go to road trip album. If I'm in a car longer than 2 hours there's a 99.9% chance it will be played.

Most definitely!

gasp

This is terrible. Saw the last show of the tour 1 week ago....I am heartbroken  :cry:
...to the moon

LBSUNFLWR

Posted a few days ago on TP website about the huge 40th anniversary tour they just completed:

"It's 1:22 a.m., and the last lighting, video and sound cases are getting loaded up and pushed off the stage at the Hollywood Bowl, where Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers played three incredible sold-out, hometown shows to close out the band's 40th Anniversary tour," reads the blog post. "Fifty-three shows. Twenty-four states. Twelve lighting crew. Eleven truck drivers. Nine in Production. Seven sound guys. Six backline crew. Six months. Five opening acts. Three countries. Three riggers. One legendary band and over one million legendary fans. Thank you to all!"

rkwedge

What a rollercoaster of information on his death yesterday. It's truly a sad loss for Rock N Roll. I agree with the comments on the Wildflowers album here but if you want to hear Tom Petty's best do yourself a favor and get ahold of the Live Anthology recordings. Like MMJ, TP & The Heartbreakers are best served up live. There's 5 albums of live music that can't be beat. :headphones:

LBSUNFLWR

Agreed, The Live Anthology is awesome.
Had a friend tell me yesterday he looked through his collection and realized he has no Tom Petty albums! what?! I sent him Wildflowers, Full Moon Fever, Damn The Torpedoes, Greatest Hits and The Live Anthology.

APR

johnnYYac

The first time I saw Tom Petty, he opened for my favorite band, the Grateful Dead, in 1986.

The last time I saw Tom Petty, my favorite band, My Morning Jacket, opened for him in 2010.

His impact on my live music journey cannot be overstated. He was one of the most underappreciated threads in the fabric of American music.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

walterfredo

I fully expect a Tom Petty cover in CO.

Have they ever played one?

oistheone

They did "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" with Neko Case in Detroit a couple years ago. Great version! Think that might be the only Petty they've ever attempted though. I'd kill to hear MMJ do just about any Petty tune.

APR

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 03, 2017, 12:25 PM
The first time I saw Tom Petty, he opened for my favorite band, the Grateful Dead, in 1986.

The last time I saw Tom Petty, my favorite band, My Morning Jacket, opened for him in 2010.

His impact on my live music journey cannot be overstated. He was one of the most underappreciated threads in the fabric of American music.

That is quite circuital Yac.  Thanks for sharing.  I've been bummed for the past few days.  Let's not forget he was a Traveling Wilbury too.

I haven't listened to Petty too much over the last few years, but I did put some old stuff on while driving on vacation last month and was reminded of how many insane hits he had.  As mentioned above even though it wasn't the same album as mentioned above...... it was a terrific fit for the road.

parkervb

basically haven't stopped listening to the Live Anthology all week.
Don't you ever turn it off

LBSUNFLWR

yeah it's so good. that's how I fell in love with the song "Have Love Will Travel"

I guess I never played the album it was on, The Last DJ.

walterfredo

I only got to see him once and it was incredible. Very small venue, before the Joint was remodeled and expanded. I have no idea if he played the song regularly, I kind of think not, but I thought it was awesome that at the The Joint in Las Vegas they opened with Chuck Berry's Around and Around ("They say the joint was rockin'")

Aug 16 2005
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Setlist
at The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, USA

Around and Around (Chuck Berry cover)
    Listen to Her Heart
    I Won't Back Down
    Free Fallin'
    Breakdown
    Rip It Up (Little Richard cover)
    Mary Jane's Last Dance
    I'm Crying (The Animals cover)
    You Don't Know How It Feels
    What Are You Doin' in My Life?
    I'd Like to Love You Baby (J.J. Cale cover)
    Born in Chicago (The Nick Gravenites John Cipollina Band cover)
    Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon cover)
    Honey Bee
    Thirteen Days (J.J. Cale cover)
    Learning to Fly
    Melinda
    Don't Come Around Here No More
    Refugee
    Runnin' Down a Dream

Encore:
    You Wreck Me
    Gloria (Them cover)