Main Menu

OBH Support Bands

Started by sillyboob, Oct 05, 2017, 03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillyboob

So one of the great things about going to One Big Holiday is just how great the support bands are.  Having been to OBH 2 & 3, and with ticket bought for OBH 4, I was wondering what support bands from the One Big Holidays have really hit home for you, that you weren't really aware of before seeing them in the best concert environment you could imagine.

For me, Band Of Horses was a big draw for OBH 2. Was definitely a fan of theirs before, and I was lucky enough to catch their warmup gig in Orange County before being on the same flight as them down to Mexico.  But the big surprise for me was The War On Drugs.  Man, they put on a great show.  And then there's the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, who are just great!  So, for me, TWOD & Pres Hall were the standouts, along with My Morning Jacket, whom I had only seen once (Americarama) before going to OBH.

For OBH 3, The Head & The Heart were great, as were Deer Tick (both sets).  I've definitely gotten into both of those bands big time since coming home. And Gary Clark Jr. was also very cool, but that coolness came off as a little cold down in Mexico, to me at least.

For OBH 4, I've really gotten into J Roddy Walston & The Business.  Their new record, while a little quieter than his two previous albums, is great!  I'm already a big Spoon fan, so getting to see them will be great.  Haven't yet listened enough to Broken Social Scene, Hurray For The Riff Raff, Nathaniel Rateliff, or Moon Taxi yet to really get a feel for them.  I've listened to a lot of Portugal. The Man, but I still can't really get them yet either.

So again, of the opening / support acts from the One Big Holiday shows, which of them really hit home as a new band for you?
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

I'd have to say Sylvan Esso was a nice surprise bonus at OBH1.  I didn't know them at all, but thought their set at that small side stage was a perfect end to the night.  I usually go for bands with instruments, but I like and liked her voice and their sound.

OBH2.... The War on Drugs crushed it out of the park.  This wasn't a surprise though.  I knew how great they were going in, and they did not disappoint.

Check out Moon Taxi!  Check out their live album from New Years Eve in TN.  If I were going to OBH4, that would be the band I'd be most looking forward to seeing again.  I'm sure I'd be pleasantly surprised about some of the others as the list of bands for 4 is extensive.  I have a feeling Broken Social Scene would be the band I'm not really aware of that would hit a homer.

walterfredo

Quote from: APR on Oct 05, 2017, 04:10 PM
I'd have to say Sylvan Esso was a nice surprise bonus at OBH1. 

that was actually OBH2, but I agree. And War on Drugs could not have been a better way to kick things off that year.

Biz Marquee was awesome (said nobody)

sillyboob

Quote from: walterfredo on Oct 05, 2017, 05:41 PM

that was actually OBH2, but I agree. And War on Drugs could not have been a better way to kick things off that year.

So much truth here, especially about the Biz!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

Quote from: walterfredo on Oct 05, 2017, 05:41 PM

Oh right.  My bad....I spaced which late night was which year.  OBH1 had a great set in that late night location by Rob Garza.  Another super pleasant surprise without instruments.  That was a ton of fun and way better than expected.

Biz was brutal.

Come Closer

Portugal the Man is my fav live act that has/will play OBH support so far. They're super fun in a small club. We'll see how it translates, but should work well in a festive atmosphere I would think.

MMJTX

saw Portugal. The Man for the first time last friday, i've been a fan for a couple years but caught them for the first time and was blown away, they are going to crush it.
Anytime