1st Bank Center New Years Eve 12/31/2017

Started by dcfire, Dec 31, 2017, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

I'm not one to withhold critique of bands, but I cannot for the life me understand how anyone could have a single gripe about any moment of this absolutely kick-ass three-night run they just pulled off. I enjoyed every single second and it was pure awesomeness.

And Jesus people, if you're posting to a band forum during a rock show, you're doing it wrong. As I tell my three teenage children, Hang up and live.

Lonndown27

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 02, 2018, 07:17 PM
I'm not one to withhold critique of bands, but I cannot for the life me understand how anyone could have a single gripe about any moment of this absolutely kick-ass three-night run they just pulled off. I enjoyed every single second and it was pure awesomeness.

And Jesus people, if you're posting to a band forum during a rock show, you're doing it wrong. As I tell my three teenage children, Hang up and live.

fuck yeah to the last.
im torn because i feel the same way , i just wanted more! thats all

might i add that Wordless Chorus was obviously the greatest EVER
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

midwesterner

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 02, 2018, 07:17 PM

I feel the same exact way.

ericm

We'll said Mr.White and Walter.  :thumbsup:

Right there with you guys.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Doobiedoobie87

I want to preface this with the fact that I had an awesome night all three nights. I liked the first two nights sets much more than the third, but they played out exactly like I expected. I have no gripes with them playing more widely popular songs on NYE and leave the deeper cuts for the first two nights. I also have no gripes with the declining lengths of shows over the years.
    What I first had issue with was the set break. The length of it absolutely killed the excitement in the building leading up to the ball drop. To add to the issue, the image on the screen during the break had the most annoying clock ticking sound throughout the whole thing. Secondly, the MLK animation just before the new year was absolutely ridiculous and bizarre. I am on Jim's side of politics, but just can't stand bringing it into that situation. NYE should be about having a good time with the people you love, not contemplating the larger issues of the world. I don't like being preached to, but they are the artists and can do what they want, I just felt bringing it to that event was distasteful and ridiculous. Add on top of that dancing rainbow guy, I was just left shaking my head. Lastly, if I have to see What the World Needs Now at another live jacket show I am going to point my finger in anger at the band. I can't imagine a lamer song to play on NYE.
     On the other hand the PWW and Wordless were just amazing. All said and done, had a great time and an thankful I was able to attend.

brob

Quote from: Doobiedoobie87 on Jan 02, 2018, 11:33 PM
     I want to preface this with the fact that I had an awesome night all three nights. I liked the first two nights sets much more than the third, but they played out exactly like I expected. I have no gripes with them playing more widely popular songs on NYE and leave the deeper cuts for the first two nights. I also have no gripes with the declining lengths of shows over the years.
    What I first had issue with was the set break. The length of it absolutely killed the excitement in the building leading up to the ball drop. To add to the issue, the image on the screen during the break had the most annoying clock ticking sound throughout the whole thing. Secondly, the MLK animation just before the new year was absolutely ridiculous and bizarre. I am on Jim's side of politics, but just can't stand bringing it into that situation. NYE should be about having a good time with the people you love, not contemplating the larger issues of the world. I don't like being preached to, but they are the artists and can do what they want, I just felt bringing it to that event was distasteful and ridiculous. Add on top of that dancing rainbow guy, I was just left shaking my head. Lastly, if I have to see What the World Needs Now at another live jacket show I am going to point my finger in anger at the band. I can't imagine a lamer song to play on NYE.
     On the other hand the PWW and Wordless were just amazing. All said and done, had a great time and an thankful I was able to attend.

My sentiments exactly.

dontgetupset

Mr. White- great post and great insight into band dynamics. Definitely gave me cause for hope.

I wish I was as much of an optimist as anyone coming here and essentially saying "all the songs were played well and this band rocks so I can't complain" but unfortunately that's not my makeup.

Even with that approach we can probably all agree that some time off will probably do the band some good. I'm curious to see if OBH4 is somewhat of a reset or possibly a continuance of 12/31 but either way hopefully everyone there will have a great time and the next time we all convene to witness the 2019 version of the band (or maybe a Summer 2018 Amsterdam show?) they'll be back in Port Chester/T5 mode.

midwesterner

Quote from: Doobiedoobie87 on Jan 02, 2018, 11:33 PM

They took similar length breaks at the Boston NYE and MSG NYE. But I understand it isn't ideal. I actually liked the imagery and appreciate Jim's strong political stance. There aren't many people making political music these days and I really like what Jim is doing.  There really is no convenient time to talk politics and I didn't feel like this was over kill. 

rna2525

Heres what I've learned from Jim and this band.If jim speaks during the show I am not a fan of that show.I went to a stretch in 2012 wiltern & a few others after that when he actually doesn't even say how u doing?

I love that!

rna2525

Also Ive noticed Jims autograph on the VIP posters are the worst Ive ever seen .Basically a "J" line.

Hes def over it at the moment.

midwesterner

Quote from: rna2525 on Jan 03, 2018, 02:15 PM
Also Ive noticed Jims autograph on the VIP posters are the worst Ive ever seen .Basically a "J" line.

Over signing autographs? I mean that can't be that much fun. Over playing in this band? I highly doubt it. Sorry you are so easily turned off by a show just because a member talks.

parkervb

Pat Myers our hero from RR16 is back again!!!
Don't you ever turn it off

midwesterner

rkwedge

Oh this is awesome! Pat you are a great guy, thanks so much. :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

slappymoe

was this the first time magic bullet has been played live? really hope we get it in punta cana.

parkervb

Quote from: slappymoe on Jan 03, 2018, 04:17 PM
was this the first time magic bullet has been played live? really hope we get it in punta cana.

it's noted as first live performance on Setlist.com but I thought it was played 1 other time....
Don't you ever turn it off

Woody

Quote from: slappymoe on Jan 03, 2018, 04:17 PM

Definitely a FTP. Love it!

walterfredo

Quote from: rna2525 on Jan 03, 2018, 02:15 PM

I rarely type this acronym, but....LOL!

You are hilarious.

APR

YES to Pat being the man.  I'll have to watch soon.  Parker..... if he has other Denver videos and you find them, please post.  I wouldn't have known about this if not for your diligence.  Thank you. 

The other audio recordings I've heard are incredible.  The three shows were incredible too.  Everyone in that venue was non-stop happy for three nights.  There were great performances of their regular songs, great jams to enhance many songs, terrific surprises, and fitting covers.  What else could you want?  Sure, I'd like to hear Rollin' Back once after 45 shows.  Yes, hearing Come Closer would have been a huge bonus. But disappointed I am not.  What I am is bummed about is that there won't be any US shows in 2018.  It has been three days since Denver, and already I can not wait to see the best band on earth again.

Tracy 3000

The band is taking a hiatus in 2018 because of its whiney, unappreciative fan base.
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."