1st Bank Center New Years Eve 12/31/2017

Started by dcfire, Dec 31, 2017, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Encore Set just posted about 15 minutes ago.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Stevie

Quote from: dontgetupset on Jan 03, 2018, 07:43 AM
Mr. White- great post and great insight into band dynamics. Definitely gave me cause for hope.

I wish I was as much of an optimist as anyone coming here and essentially saying "all the songs were played well and this band rocks so I can't complain" but unfortunately that's not my makeup.

Even with that approach we can probably all agree that some time off will probably do the band some good. I'm curious to see if OBH4 is somewhat of a reset or possibly a continuance of 12/31 but either way hopefully everyone there will have a great time and the next time we all convene to witness the 2019 version of the band (or maybe a Summer 2018 Amsterdam show?) they'll be back in Port Chester/T5 mode.

Your last sentence perfectly illustrates my earlier point..  I was at Port Chester and I wasn't all that thrilled with it because of how I wanted or expected it to go.  Red Rocks 2012 had put big dreams in my head.  Anyway, you're entitled to feel less than blown away by it.  We all have our own needs and wants when it comes to MMJ shows. 

walterfredo

The sooner some of you can move past the whole "needs and wants" thing and can just sit back and enjoy, the more happiness will come your way. If you have "needs" that this band (or any band) should be expected to fulfill (and you feel letdown or unfulfilled when they don't), you should re-examine how you look at a rock show. This is not a marriage or a job, it's a rock n roll show intended to provide a couple hours of entertainment into your life....and absolutely no band does it better.

ericm

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 03, 2018, 11:50 PM
The sooner some of you can move past the whole "needs and wants" thing and can just sit back and enjoy, the more happiness will come your way. If you have "needs" that this band (or any band) should be expected to fulfill (and you feel letdown or unfulfilled when they don't), you should re-examine how you look at a rock show. This is not a marriage or a job, it's a rock n roll show intended to proved a couple hours of entertainment into your life....and absolutely no band does it better.

Sage advice my man.  :thumbsup: 

The only things I needed and wanted from this run was to see MMJ with my friends and enjoy every priceless minute with them and the band. I feel incredibly fortunate to have accomplished just that. It might've only been a few hours of shows total but the hours we all spent together will be memories I'll have forever.

No regrets for me in the least,and I'm so grateful the band decided to do this run. The only thing I feel even slightly bummed about is it wasn't a four night run so we could've had even more time together with this amazing band.  :wink:

Here's hoping when they do return they decide to make a return to the Beacon and take over where the Allmans left off. March is still open there pretty much every year now.  :grin:
"Where's Jim going?"

subinai

Quote from: Tracy 3000 on Jan 03, 2018, 10:17 PM
The band is taking a hiatus in 2018 because of its whiney, unappreciative fan base.

lol

Crispy

Quote from: ericm on Jan 04, 2018, 12:09 AM
The sooner some of you can move past the whole "needs and wants" thing and can just sit back and enjoy, the more happiness will come your way. If you have "needs" that this band (or any band) should be expected to fulfill (and you feel letdown or unfulfilled when they don't), you should re-examine how you look at a rock show. This is not a marriage or a job, it's a rock n roll show intended to proved a couple hours of entertainment into your life....and absolutely no band does it better.

The only things I needed and wanted from this run was to see MMJ with my friends and enjoy every priceless minute with them and the band. I feel incredibly fortunate to have accomplished just that. It might've only been a few hours of shows total but the hours we all spent together will be memories I'll have forever.

No regrets for me in the least,and I'm so grateful the band decided to do this run. The only thing I feel even slightly bummed about is it wasn't a four night run so we could've had even more time together with this amazing band.  :wink:

Here's hoping when they do return they decide to make a return to the Beacon and take over where the Allmans left off. March is still open there pretty much every year now.  :grin:

"The only bad thing about a three-night run is that it's not a four-night run!" --ericm  :beer:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Emb1528

Couldn't agree more. Well put by both.
Doesn't matter what you're doin', as long as you're losin' your head

Shug

no one mentioned the costumes for the midnight set?  Carl is looking fuckin' shaaarrrppp in that white suit and boa!

Who were the horn players?  Antibalas again or somebody else?

What a great Dancefloors, but its always great.  Even better with horns, though!

And on paper, All You Need Is Love didn't seem that impressive of a cover, but now that I'm hearing it, I'm getting that emotional heartstring tug taking me back to my childhood love of the Beatles and their simple and more-relevant-than-ever message.  i hear a lot of positivity in Jim's vibe on this set and in the film collage that preceeded it, even though its in reaction to really really discouraging negativity in our society.  I think Jim is a kind of avatar whose soul-purpose is to bring that positivity to us.  I can see he is struggling just as much as many of us with the fucked up backsliding of culture and spirituality that we are currently experiencing as a species, but I can also see he is doing the best he fucking can to be a voice and role model for positivity.  God bless him, I say.  Thank you, Jim and the Jacket dudes, for doing what you do.  I hope you keep doing it for a long time!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

rkwedge

All great thoughts on this page, you guys rock :beer:
Shrug, they never introduced the horn players so I have no clue who they were myself. I've always wished MMJ would just take PHJB or Trombone Shorty on tour with them. MMJ and Horns go together like peanut butter and jelly.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

millerjustin

Quote from: rkwedge on Jan 04, 2018, 12:35 PM
Shrug, they never introduced the horn players so I have no clue who they were myself. I've always wished MMJ would just take PHJB or Trombone Shorty on tour with them. MMJ and Horns go together like peanut butter and jelly.

the horn section was made up of Oscar Utterstrom, Vincent Ciesielski and Tyler Summers - hired guns out of TN that clearly studied the catalogue and practiced with the band.  they were tight AF
What's in here won't disappear

rkwedge

Quote from: millerjustin on Jan 04, 2018, 01:30 PM

the horn section was made up of Oscar Utterstrom, Vincent Ciesielski and Tyler Summers - hired guns out of TN that clearly studied the catalogue and practiced with the band.  they were tight AF
Mystery solved. Thanks for that Justin, they were tight!  :beer:

Shug

MMJ and Horns go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Ha ha ha! You got that right!   :thumbsup:  Thanks for the info on the players, millerjustin!

dookie shoot bandit

Love the David Lynch audio/video piece before the New Years countdown  :beer: :thumbsup:

Shug

I wasn't sure that was Lynch with the weird effects on his voice, but thought it might be by looking at him and the cool stuff he was saying about dark and light. 

Rewatching the original Twin Peaks to get ready to watch the 3rd season that I have not started yet.  Lynch is rad.

APR

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 04, 2018, 11:47 AM

"The only bad thing about a three-night run is that it's not a four-night run!" --ericm  :beer:

And that is a direct quote, which I heard and agreed with the other day.  I'm looking forward to a four night run one day and hearing eric say that the bad thing is that "it's not a five night run."

Crispy

Quote from: APR on Jan 05, 2018, 12:12 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Jan 04, 2018, 11:47 AM

And that is a direct quote, which I heard and agreed with the other day.  I'm looking forward to a four night run one day and hearing eric say that the bad thing is that "it's not a five night run."

Yes! I won't make the mistake of missing another Beacon run if that happens again. And let's all hope for Eric's wishes to come true!  :cheesy:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

My Morning Tube top

The Wiltern 7 before album 8 drops...my post T5 dream. But yes agreed, let the show happen we are spoiled with greatness. Never seen an MMJ show that didn't give 150%. Reliving these shows too much good to recap right now. Let's start with the light rig, while blinded at times it was unreal. Major props to Marc Janowitz and crew! The pyrotechnics kept me laughing in disbelief, unreal rock n roll shows! Great times with great peeps as always! Happy New Year!

iLikeBeer

The sooner some of you can move past the whole “needs and wants” thing and can just sit back and enjoy, the more happiness will come your way. If you have “needs” that this band (or any band) should be expected to fulfill (and you feel letdown or unfulfilled when they don’t), you should re-examine how you look at a rock show. This is not a marriage or a job, it’s a rock n roll show intended to provide a couple hours of entertainment into your life....and absolutely no band does it better.
Well said walter!   :beer:  Some of us would have killed just to be there.  One thing I can't stand is to hear people whine who were fortunate enough to have actually been in attendance?!?!

ranyart

Betsy and I were lucky enough to be able to attend the NYE run.  I jumped at the opportunity the minute it was made available and am very happy I did.  MMJ was on fire all three nights and the three support bands were all good fun too.  Pretty much sums it up for me when MMJ blows away The Revolution when playing one of their own songs.  Sound, lights and pyro were all fantastic the only glitch I saw/heard was during the first confetti shoot during the second night (sound seemed to stop for a few seconds when the confetti went off) but even that was a good bit of fun all all part of the live music experience.  We loved all of the covers, especially America, the Sly songs, and anytime anyone plays All You Need Is Love is just fine by me.  100% satisfied across the board including the VIP fun.

There were some bittersweet moments though.  Walking by the last three MMJ Roll Call lines EVER, which we have been enjoying since 2013 (?), definitely hit home.  And knowing that there's nothing on the horizon for the rest of the year for us is a big bummer, but that's only because we have been spoiled rotten by our favorite live rock and roll band over the last few years.  OBH has never been an option for us due to work obligations (it's even on my birthday this year!) but I sure do wish this year we were going and we'll be watching for news on what's next.

Where can we get one of those mirror ball rigs?

rkwedge

Quote from: ranyart on Jan 05, 2018, 05:37 PM
Betsy and I were lucky enough to be able to attend the NYE run.  I jumped at the opportunity the minute it was made available and am very happy I did.  MMJ was on fire all three nights and the three support bands were all good fun too.  Pretty much sums it up for me when MMJ blows away The Revolution when playing one of their own songs.  Sound, lights and pyro were all fantastic the only glitch I saw/heard was during the first confetti shoot during the second night (sound seemed to stop for a few seconds when the confetti went off) but even that was a good bit of fun all all part of the live music experience.  We loved all of the covers, especially America, the Sly songs, and anytime anyone plays All You Need Is Love is just fine by me.  100% satisfied across the board including the VIP fun.

There were some bittersweet moments though.  Walking by the last three MMJ Roll Call lines EVER, which we have been enjoying since 2013 (?), definitely hit home.  And knowing that there's nothing on the horizon for the rest of the year for us is a big bummer, but that's only because we have been spoiled rotten by our favorite live rock and roll band over the last few years.  OBH has never been an option for us due to work obligations (it's even on my birthday this year!) but I sure do wish this year we were going and we'll be watching for news on what's next.

Where can we get one of those mirror ball rigs?
Here you go! Only company left in America making them, Louisville, KY where MMJ is from of course. :cheesy:
http://antiquedecormirrors.com/products/mirror-balls/