1st Bank Center New Years Eve 12/31/2017

Started by dcfire, Dec 31, 2017, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonndown27

Quote from: Tracy 3000 on Jan 03, 2018, 10:17 PM
The band is taking a hiatus in 2018 because of its whiney, unappreciative fan base.

Hahahah
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

bobmono

Just listened to Night 3 again - LOL not liking that show! 

MMJCOBRA

Thanks to whoever posted night 3 set 2 video. Very special night indeed. I'll be there for their next NYE performance for sure   

ericm

Quote from: unravelled on Jan 07, 2018, 12:39 AM
Thanks to whoever posted night 3 set 2 video. Very special night indeed. I'll be there for their next NYE performance for sure

A wise man once told me "never miss a night 1" so make plans to do the whole run.   :wink:   :thumbsup: 
"Where's Jim going?"

RobRoy286

Quote from: bobmono on Jan 06, 2018, 07:31 PM
Just listened to Night 3 again - LOL not liking that show! 
why not? Too predictable?

mancityzens

Digging the youtube links for the shows.  Has anyone posted downloadable files for those anywhere?

johnnYYac

I bought KeepVidPro to download HD video as mp4 from YouTube and other sites.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

mancityzens

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into it tonight.

SplatSplatSplat

someone saying they didn't enjoy certain aspects of the show doesn't make them ungrateful.

shows were great. too many covers.
You need it.  That's for sure.

rincon2

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jan 04, 2018, 05:15 PM
Love the David Lynch audio/video piece before the New Years countdown  :beer: :thumbsup:
I guess the David Lynch part explains why it seemed so weird and reminded me of the Apex Twin video Rubber Johnny.

walterfredo

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Jan 09, 2018, 07:23 PM
too many covers.

this is no different than the other three NYE shows they've done. All were heavy on covers compared to their normal shows, and I'm all for the fun that fun covers add to the mix for a festive, party environment like NYE. The band is well aware that, compared to most shows, there will be a ton of non-hardcore fans that are coming out for an NYE party. We brought 2 MMJ virgins with us to 12/30 and 12/31, they loved all of it, and I know they dug the covers.

Covers were perfect.

Lonndown27

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 09, 2018, 08:28 PM
too many covers.

this is no different than the other three NYE shows they've done. All were heavy on covers compared to their normal shows, and I'm all for the fun that fun covers add to the mix for a festive, party environment like NYE. The band is well aware that, compared to most shows, there will be a ton of non-hardcore fans that are coming out for an NYE party. We brought 2 MMJ virgins with us to 12/30 and 12/31, they loved all of it, and I know they dug the covers.

Covers were perfect.

the covers were perfection!!!!!! be lucky to have been there!!! they played so many things for the first or second time EVER ...
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

SplatSplatSplat

too many covers.

Covers were perfect.

Let me preface this post with the following: I recognize the band knows better than me.  Look at em: they're super successful.  I'm just thinking out loud with you guys/gals.

First off, I'm well aware that they like to throw in covers on NYE shows.  I wasn't surprised by this, but it felt to me like there were still too many covers.  The encore was an even split of originals to covers.  I go to MMJ shows for MMJ songs, not for their OK covers of other peoples songs.  I feel like MMJ songs are better than ANY cover they could throw my way.  And that includes material from the various solo LPs.

And please, any time someone critiques a song choice/setlist, why does the response have to be, "but think of all the new people out there - they've got to appeal to them, too." 

No, they don't. 

I mean, if they are touring behind a new LP, sure, I get it 100%.  But, I'm also sure a lot of  people on this board went to jacket shows not knowing every single song and they turned out just fine.  They don't have to play to the cheap seats all the time.

Case in point: almost every OBH.  Why are they playing covers instead of going deep down the rabbit hole? Everyone there is a super fan.  I can't imagine someone throwing down all that $$$ for a band they don't love.  And, yes, it's a party.  But it's also a celebration of MMJ and their songs.  You'd honestly rather hear Rainy Day Woman or Everyday People over Sooner? I mean... I can party melancholy.  I'm at a jacket show, I'm super OK with melancholy.

You need it.  That's for sure.

midwesterner

Just listened to the Phone again from 12/31 and just noticed it sounds like Jim sings some of the lyrics from One Heart in it.

dontgetupset

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Jan 11, 2018, 10:45 AM
too many covers.

Covers were perfect.

Let me preface this post with the following: I recognize the band knows better than me.  Look at em: they're super successful.  I'm just thinking out loud with you guys/gals.

First off, I'm well aware that they like to throw in covers on NYE shows.  I wasn't surprised by this, but it felt to me like there were still too many covers.  The encore was an even split of originals to covers.  I go to MMJ shows for MMJ songs, not for their OK covers of other peoples songs.  I feel like MMJ songs are better than ANY cover they could throw my way.  And that includes material from the various solo LPs.

And please, any time someone critiques a song choice/setlist, why does the response have to be, "but think of all the new people out there - they've got to appeal to them, too." 

No, they don't. 

I mean, if they are touring behind a new LP, sure, I get it 100%.  But, I'm also sure a lot of  people on this board went to jacket shows not knowing every single song and they turned out just fine.  They don't have to play to the cheap seats all the time.

Case in point: almost every OBH.  Why are they playing covers instead of going deep down the rabbit hole? Everyone there is a super fan.  I can't imagine someone throwing down all that $$$ for a band they don't love.  And, yes, it's a party.  But it's also a celebration of MMJ and their songs.  You'd honestly rather hear Rainy Day Woman or Everyday People over Sooner? I mean... I can party melancholy.  I'm at a jacket show, I'm super OK with melancholy.

+1000

I would buttress your argument by saying that some of the deep cuts are so ridiculously strong (to throw something out there: Friends Again) that an MMJ newbie would be turned on even faster hearing that rather than What The World Needs now...

walterfredo

No, they don't. 

But they do.

I am 100% with you that I go for their songs, not the cover songs. I agree that I would MUCH rather hear a rare MMJ tune than a random cover.

The part that I think many overlook is that they are not just playing for me. They're also playing for every other person in attendance. I can guarantee you there was a significant portion of the crowd that thought the covers were amazing. Most of those people, by the way, likely only attended NYE and were not in attendance on 12/29. They know what they're doing and they do it well!

I'm with you on this one. Although I had an amazing time at OBH2 (the only one I've attended) and enjoyed most of the covers that year as well.

My point goes back to one of my earlier posts, if you go into think they owe you something or set expectations, you will be disappointed. If you get past that and enjoy a break from reality, you'll be just fine. Let them be who they want to be, it's up to you to take it or leave it.

sillyboob

Quote from: midwesterner on Jan 11, 2018, 10:57 AM
Just listened to the Phone again from 12/31 and just noticed it sounds like Jim sings some of the lyrics from One Heart in it.

I think 'sings' is a bit of an overstatement.  Kinda more like Jim moans / yodels part of One Love during Phone.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

midwesterner

Quote from: sillyboob on Jan 11, 2018, 12:27 PM

I think 'sings' is a bit of an overstatement.  Kinda more like Jim moans / yodels part of One Love during Phone.

Fair. I just didn't even hear it at the show.

sillyboob

Quote from: midwesterner on Jan 11, 2018, 02:01 PM
Quote from: sillyboob on Jan 11, 2018, 12:27 PM

Fair. I just didn't even hear it at the show.

I understand why and how you would have missed it!

sillyboob

too many covers.

Covers were perfect.

No, they don't. 

So here's my two cents on the cover song issue:

My perspective on My Morning Jacket is heavily shaped by the One Big Holiday 2015 experience, as prior to that I had only seen the band once, on the Americarama tour (and they weren't why we went, we went for Wilco & Dylan - Dylan sucked - and MMJ were a band I had heard of and figured they'd be cool).  We went, they were cool, and like I said, Dylan sucked.

Fast forward a year or two later, and I see the ad for OBH2, with Band Of Horses doing two sets.  Now the wife & I are big BOH fans, and the chance to see them at a Mexican resort, all-inclusive, in addition to a bunch of other shows, well we were hooked.  We had seen MMJ once before and thought they were good so let's do it.  I kinda boned-up on some Jacket songs, but really went into OBH 2015 pretty blind as far as MMJ went.

Night one started off great with The War On Drugs.  Very cool vibe to them (first time seeing them).  But then Jacket came on, opening up with 'Ride Like The Wind'.  Wow - what a way to start things off!!  Their night one set was pretty heavy with the covers, including their 90s 4 song medley, along with some Hall & Oates to close out the covers for night one.  The covers were all songs from my formative years, and the guys played the covers perfectly.  Nights two & three had some fun covers as well, with Elton John, a couple of country tunes, & Bob Marley getting some representation.  Night 3 the covers included the Stones, the Velvet Underground, and the two Ferris Bueller songs, with the everyone singalong to Bob Dylan near the end of the show.

The cover songs from OBH2, along with how strong of a performance MMJ put on over the three nights (along with the hugely awesome vibe of One Big Holiday), got me hooked.  I got home and almost immediately began buying their albums, their live shows, tracking down rarities and downloading all of their festival sets and other downloadable shows I could find.  The wife & I also decided to catch our first Red Rocks show ever - MMJ in 2015 (followed 2 nights later by Alabama Shakes with the Drive-by Truckers).  And we waited for the next OBH announcement, which unfortunately was that there was no 2016 OBH. 

But there was a OBH 2017, and again, the covers did not disappoint, nor did the whole festival.  It started with someone on Facebook sharing some of their soundcheck, with Jim singing 'Here Comes The Sun'.  Then the shows themselves...  'This Land Is Your Land' was a leftfield choice to start everything out, but it made perfect sense, given the political climate of the time.  That night we got 'Here Comes The Sun' and 'Wish You Were Here'.  'Purple Rain' closed the main set, and was truly awesome, then it was followed-up with 'Bermuda Highway' - a perfect combo.  Closing the show with 'Phone Went West' into 'Like A Rolling Stone' - I remember thinking Phone was the last song, but then hearing the slowly strummed chords for 'Like A Rolling Stone' and realizing what it was, my brain melted just a little bit. 

Nights two and three had their share of great cover songs too.  More Pink Floyd, Bowie, a Cosby Show tribute cover, Prince, The Beatles, The Commodores, & Burt Bacharach.  There were a couple covers I didn't know, but that was okay.  What they played was great.

So now, looking forward to OBH 2018, and knowing what was played over the NYE run in Colorado, here's my thoughts on MMJ doing covers:  I dig the covers, and think they add some fun to the multi-night runs.  That being said, I think there should be a limit on the covers, and the last night of a run should be all Jacket.  The one exception I'd give to this is a run like NYE, where the last night is the big draw and is a known party day.  In a NYE run, I'd have night one be the all MMJ night, for the diehards.  Night two can introduce a few covers, and the party night could be like this past NYE, with party songs and covers.  For OBH, I'd almost expect the opposite - night one is the party night with a lot of covers.  Night two could still include some covers, but mostly Jacket.  Night three should be all Jacket.  Like has been said, it's going to be mostly diehards down at OBH (even with the expanded crowd), so bring us the rare cuts. 

It took me nine shows to finally hear 'I Will Sing You Songs' live, night three of OBH 2017 (white whale # 1 for me).  Mixing in other rarities into nights two and three would be a huge treat for so many of us down in the DR (cough cough 'Where To Begin').  The guys have a great set of original songs to choose from, and the fans all have favorites that rarely get played.  One Big Holiday is the perfect setting for those rarely played gems, and the perfect crowd to hear them!