1st Bank Center New Years Eve 12/31/2017

Started by dcfire, Dec 31, 2017, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SplatSplatSplat

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 11, 2018, 12:02 PM
The part that I think many overlook is that they are not just playing for me. They're also playing for every other person in attendance. I can guarantee you there was a significant portion of the crowd that thought the covers were amazing. Most of those people, by the way, likely only attended NYE and were not in attendance on 12/29. They know what they're doing and they do it well!

Dude, no need to explain how things work. I get the gist of it. They don't play shows just for me.  If they did, your mind would explode reading the setlist.  I know going in to each show what to expect and I'm perfectly okay with that.  We're always going to get a Lowdown, I'm Amazed, etc.  Those are songs for the casual fans. But then they get the covers, too? I mean, c'mon. Swap out one of those covers for a deep cut and that NYE show would've been 10/10. 

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 11, 2018, 12:02 PM

My point goes back to one of my earlier posts, if you go into think they owe you something or set expectations, you will be disappointed. If you get past that and enjoy a break from reality, you'll be just fine. Let them be who they want to be, it's up to you to take it or leave it.

Yeah, I saw that post and you're not wrong, but you are a bit dismissive. So, instead of watching them play a show, having a conversation about it, you seem to say we should just take it and that's it?  Art is meant to be discussed. That's all this is. They put it out there, we consume and digest. So forgive me if I don't bail on MMJ just because I felt they played a few too many covers on NYE. 
You need it.  That's for sure.

dontgetupset

Its largely a cost/benefit thing: Forget about the covers for a moment and just focus on any Waterfall song or Highly Suspicious (a song I happen to really like). They could have deleted 2 or 3 of those songs and kept the show at the same length while pleasing many more people and causing (I assume) ZERO dissatisfaction. They opted not to do that and to me thats inexplicable.

They KNEW people were paying thousands of dollars to come to these shows (based on the amount of people that bought CID packages that included hotels). The argument that "they owe us nothing" is patently ridiculous. WE owe them nothing. If we were going for free and not buying $8 beers and $40 T-Shirts and $100 concert tickets it would be another story.

For me it really boils down to the fact that they didn't even try to throw us a bone in the final show with a single deep cut. I could deal with the politics and the ridiculous break before a 40 minute set and those ridiculous costume guys in exchange for a simple Honest Man and a Look At You.

I'm still very disappointed.

ericm

Quote from: dontgetupset on Jan 11, 2018, 06:29 PM
Its largely a cost/benefit thing: Forget about the covers for a moment and just focus on any Waterfall song or Highly Suspicious (a song I happen to really like). They could have deleted 2 or 3 of those songs and kept the show at the same length while pleasing many more people and causing (I assume) ZERO dissatisfaction. They opted not to do that and to me thats inexplicable.

They KNEW people were paying thousands of dollars to come to these shows (based on the amount of people that bought CID packages that included hotels). The argument that "they owe us nothing" is patently ridiculous. WE owe them nothing. If we were going for free and not buying $8 beers and $40 T-Shirts and $100 concert tickets it would be another story.

For me it really boils down to the fact that they didn't even try to throw us a bone in the final show with a single deep cut. I could deal with the politics and the ridiculous break before a 40 minute set and those ridiculous costume guys in exchange for a simple Honest Man and a Look At You.

I honestly don't see how you could entertain the thought of them omitting the Waterfall tunes. It's their latest album for crying out loud. Frankly, I'm surprised (and a little thankful) we didn't get more off that album.  I also don't think your point about pleasing "many" more people is necessarily true. Certainly not on NYE, as there were way more casual fans there IMO.

I too would always welcome more deeper cuts but they threw us plenty of bones in the first two nights IMO and night three went pretty much exactly how I expected it to go. In fact the whole run went even better than I expected since I expected more newer tunes and not as much of the older songs we got nights 1&2, so I came away really happy. Nights 1&2 made the run for me and night 3 was the bonus,celebration, dance party I think most fans either knew or expected it to be and I was fine with that.

Sorry to hear you're very disappointed but I'm feeling the opposite.
"Where's Jim going?"

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Jan 11, 2018, 07:29 PM

I honestly don't see how you could entertain the thought of them omitting the Waterfall tunes. It's their latest album for crying out loud. Frankly, I'm surprised (and a little thankful) we didn't get more off that album.  I also don't think your point about pleasing "many" more people is necessarily true. Certainly not on NYE, as there were way more casual fans there IMO.

I too would always welcome more deeper cuts but they threw us plenty of bones in the first two nights IMO and night three went pretty much exactly how I expected it to go. In fact the whole run went even better than I expected since I expected more newer tunes and not as much of the older songs we got nights 1&2, so I came away really happy. Nights 1&2 made the run for me and night 3 was the bonus,celebration, dance party I think most fans either knew or expected it to be and I was fine with that.

FUCK YES ERICM thats exactly how i felt. Night I and II delivered all of the expectations of a die hard Jacket fan who loves his melancholic sounds, they delivered. They didnt play EVERY SINGLE THING i wanted them to, of course not, but they pulled out so many things I'd never seen before. I'd only seen them twice before this, so opening the run with At Dawn (which was my prediction) just blew my fucking mind! then just look at the next songs after that: At Dawn, Lowdown, the best Xmas Curtain ever, Beats 4 U one of the best ever, Aluminum Park, Heartbreakin Man, Evelyn's Not Real, Slow Slow Tune Carried Away Smokin From Shootin and Hopefully....that run right there had 2 songs i'd seen once before already and I had NO PROBLEM AT ALL them playing them for my 2nd. But look at that list of songs....seeing them, being there, hearing them, watching them go nuts and rock the fuck out to those songs was EVEN BETTER....i couldn't believe it.

Dontgetupset, I think a lot of this is a jealousy at only being able to make Night III. Seriously.
Let it go.

I've had to sit on here and be happy for everyone else going to Red Rocks 2016, Red Rocks 2015, Red Rocks 2012, OBH I II III and now IV, The Beacon 2015 run, the Capitol Theatre run, not being able to go to Agganis Arena in 2012, not being able to go to NYE 2008 or be at Bonnaroo 2008.

But guess what? You can't know how damn good it was like to be there if you weren't there, you can relive it and watch or listen to the captures of it and these recordings are fucking lightning in a bottle, I'll tell you that, but you can also not be outrageously angry at the band for not playing exactly what you wanted and when you wanted it. NYE was awesome, I in fact have no criticism other than I wished it had gone on for another half hour, at least.

Yes, I wanted to here I Think I'm Going To Hell ALL WEEKEND, I wanted SOONER, I wanted COME CLOSER, I wanted STRANGULATION! AT LEAST , I want I want I want I want I want I want.....

well that can get in the way of GETTING WHAT YOU NEED...and I got what I needed....I got a triple dose of Jacket doing it every way they could, doing it anyway they wanted to or felt like and destroyed my brain from it all.

If you're disappointed by hearing Wordless Chorus , a song we all love and was PERFECT for that situation and occasion (i even put it on my dream setlist for the NYE countdown song) while the confetti surrounds you in your own private vortex and its so white all of a sudden from the light, the confetti and the balloons , its so surreal, its so beautiful and so insane and then you're disappointed??

No offense man, but damn im glad i wasn't watching the show next to you.

And yet I thought I was being a dick for being disappointed that they didn't play for another 30 minutes hahahha.

Jeeeeeezus
Christ.

This is insane.
The times i've seen this band fulfill every single pre-show expectation and STILL get shit on is insane. Criticize the setlists for a show like Bonnaroo 2015, or NYE for being safe, but......to just throw the whole experience out?

You won't be able to dampen THIS fan's experience.
The only thing I would also say would've been better is i would've hung out with people more. I have bad anxiety and what with the whole people helping me get there thing, I didn't feel too comfortable. I should've reached out more though.

Although, It was beautiful meeting Johnny for a bit there.

Just wish I could've met Rkwedge and EricM though .....

FUCK!!!!!!!

dontgetupset, I like you man, but....don't be so fucking angry at the band for nothing. They should've played longer and  broken out two or three epic deep cuts on NYE , but they didnt. They still played 2 hours and 48 minutes on the dot.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

rkwedge

^
                                                     This

Lonn   :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

dontgetupset

Understood. I would have proposed eliminating ONE Waterfall and ONE other thing (one of the Touch Me's/ Highly Suspicious etc...) and replacing them with 2 Deep Cuts.

I'm jealous of those that a) are/were content with Night 3 and b) those that saw all 3 nights. I have no doubt I would have felt more satisfied being there for all 3 and knowing how much of the total catalog I would have experienced.

In my initial post I mentioned the messed up mix. Did anyone else think that was the case? I'm totally open to being the only (I guess audio-logically impaired) one to have perceived this.

millerjustin

a buddy recently asked me to choose which was better - NYE17 run or PC3.  Hard questions, but my answer was that if PC3 included NYE, it would've been wrecked.  They were both amazing, but for very different reasons.

I wrote a long piece for Live Music Daily on the NYE run (https://livemusicdaily.com/2018/01/10/one-big-new-years-party-with-my-morning-jacket/)

so I won't bore you with a repeat - but if you know Jacket and their rhythms, you know what to expect on NYE or the final night of any given OBH.  First night shakes the jitters, second night is the heater and third night is for the band to have fun. 

I was completely satisfied overall - sure, more Omnichord songs would have been great, as would playing with openers and maybe a petty cover, but hey, WE WERE DOWN TO THE LAST 6 SHOWS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.  Drink it up kids, we're going on a diet this year
What's in here won't disappear

SplatSplatSplat

The only place a deep cut would've worked would be after (or before) Bermuda or maybe after Phone. As much as it wouldn't have bothered me personally, there's no way I'd advocate coming out of of New Years on anything but some high energy dance grooves.
You need it.  That's for sure.

Lonndown27

Quote from: dontgetupset on Jan 12, 2018, 08:54 AM

Understood. I would have proposed eliminating ONE Waterfall and ONE other thing (one of the Touch Me's/ Highly Suspicious etc...) and replacing them with 2 Deep Cuts.

I'm jealous of those that a) are/were content with Night 3 and b) those that saw all 3 nights. I have no doubt I would have felt more satisfied being there for all 3 and knowing how much of the total catalog I would have experienced.

In my initial post I mentioned the messed up mix. Did anyone else think that was the case? I'm totally open to being the only (I guess audio-logically impaired) one to have perceived this.

The shows sounded absolutely PERFECT.  If anyone could criticize how clear that band sounds onstage it would be absolutely retarded.  I dont use that word lightly.  Ryan Pickett is the best in the business and i told him so on our way out on new years eve.  The band sounded so robust and clear and only let it get mushed and outta control on the freakouts during Dondante and Phone. Then of course the cannons killing the audio durinh Steam and somehow it didn't even affect it...thats a fucking grade A sound crew right there.  A confetti cannon shut the whole PA down right at the apex of Steam Engine.  You'd think theyd have been screwed but instead Ryan gets it back on only a split second after realizing what had even just happened.  Criticize sound or the mix? Jesus have you ever heard a band play in a room before? Sometimes things bleed together AND THAT'S HOW REAL ROCK AND ROLL IS....and even then SOMEHOW Ryan Pickett is able to separate the band from each other and make it clearer than Walter White's meth.  Like seriously man youre getting on my nerves. You really have to let the band know they failed you, dont you? I don't know why you're upset. DON'T get upset because, frankly, while you do have every right to be a jerk to MMJ for giving you 3 hours of epic brilliance ( that many on this forum would've done quite a bit to be in your shoes to witness and at least be at one show, let alone the longest of three and a new years jacket show ) we dont wanna hear it. At least i dont.
2018 is gonna be a year of positivity and frankly mr shankly you are being fucking swallowed up by your disappointment.  Theres absolutely nothing to be disappointed at.
They fucking debut'd The First Time and you were there for the livedebut of Magic bullet.
They played at least 10 songs they hadnt played in two years or longer.
They debut'd Mercy Mercy Me, America, Everyday people, Thank You, Rhythm Nation.
Played Miss You for the first time sinceT5
Played Tonight ill be staying here with you first time since 2013 when it was played once and before that at T5.
Played at least ten songs that have only been played 30 times in their entire career which is fucking 18 years long!!!
They playeda few covers that have been played under3 times total and Purple Rain which has been played maybe 8 times at most. 

How many shows have you been to of the band?
Where and when?
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

rincon2

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jan 13, 2018, 07:13 PM

The shows sounded absolutely PERFECT.  If anyone could criticize how clear that band sounds onstage it would be absolutely retarded.  I dont use that word lightly.  Ryan Pickett is the best in the business and i told him so on our way out on new years eve.  The band sounded so robust and clear and only let it get mushed and outta control on the freakouts during Dondante and Phone. Then of course the cannons killing the audio durinh Steam and somehow it didn't even affect it...thats a fucking grade A sound crew right there.  A confetti cannon shut the whole PA down right at the apex of Steam Engine.  You'd think theyd have been screwed but instead Ryan gets it back on only a split second after realizing what had even just happened.  Criticize sound or the mix? Jesus have you ever heard a band play in a room before? Sometimes things bleed together AND THAT'S HOW REAL ROCK AND ROLL IS....and even then SOMEHOW Ryan Pickett is able to separate the band from each other and make it clearer than Walter White's meth.  Like seriously man youre getting on my nerves. You really have to let the band know they failed you, dont you? I don't know why you're upset. DON'T get upset because, frankly, while you do have every right to be a jerk to MMJ for giving you 3 hours of epic brilliance ( that many on this forum would've done quite a bit to be in your shoes to witness and at least be at one show, let alone the longest of three and a new years jacket show ) we dont wanna hear it. At least i dont.
2018 is gonna be a year of positivity and frankly mr shankly you are being fucking swallowed up by your disappointment.  Theres absolutely nothing to be disappointed at.
They fucking debut'd The First Time and you were there for the livedebut of Magic bullet.
They debut'd Mercy Mercy Me, America, Everyday people, Thank You, Rhythm Nation.
Played Tonight ill be staying here with you first time since 2013 when it was played once and before that at T5.
Played at least ten songs that have only been played 30 times in their entire career which is fucking 18 years long!!!
They playeda few covers that have been played under3 times total and Purple Rain which has been played maybe 8 times at most. 

Where and when?

^^Lawn?^^    I have been going to shows regularly for 40 years now. These were without any doubt, the best sounding shows I have ever heard. Regardless of indoors or out, size of venue, etc. The closest one to that pristine quality would probably be the Jayhawks at the Fonda about 2 years ago. They were relatively quiet and pristine, compared to Broomfield, which was thunder and pristine. I will admit, when I sat in the far back it sounded even better than sitting in the seats at the side, but, Hey, that's just physics..

ericm

Add me to the list of those saying how great the sound was.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

We were side stage Carl side in seats just off the floor, and while that's not always a good spot sound wise, these shows were definitely an exception to that. The sound was pristine  as mentioned and also the mix was outstanding! We were able to hear EVERY band member LOUD and CLEAR. Many times at shows if you're not dead center, someone gets lost in the mix but not so for this run. I loved how Tommy and Bo were so clear and present in the mix all weekend. Jim and Carl were right there as well, and when it came time for a solo, it was right there. Loved it!

Tip of the cap and big kudos to Ryan. Great job!  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

rkwedge

Add me as well.  I stood right in front of Ryan all three nights. That's the place to be if you want sound quality, the guys a wizard with sound.  :headphones: It was also a great place to enjoy that incredible light show too. I swear to god the sun did set during Victory Dance.  :cool: Maybe it was a state of mind, but maybe not. I also got night 3's set list from Ryan as an extra added bonus.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Jan 14, 2018, 01:54 PM
Add me to the list of those saying how great the sound was.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

We were side stage Carl side in seats just off the floor, and while that's not always a good spot sound wise, these shows were definitely an exception to that. The sound was pristine  as mentioned and also the mix was outstanding! We were able to hear EVERY band member LOUD and CLEAR. Many times at shows if you're not dead center, someone gets lost in the mix but not so for this run. I loved how Tommy and Bo were so clear and present in the mix all weekend. Jim and Carl were right there as well, and when it came time for a solo, it was right there. Loved it!

damn! EricM night II we were sitting possibly a row or two behind you then!! Carl's side just off the floor ! not clear to the stage side seats but just a little bit further, about right before the halfway mark of the floor and it was extremely tight to the stage, just fucking perfect! It made sitting that night NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER. And my girlfriend got to enjoy that a lot and save her strength for the nYE night, which we saw from the floor.

Sorry DontGetUpset, I didn't mean to bully you or go after you like that...I just hate to have my Jacket giving their all and getting nothing in return for it.

ericm

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jan 14, 2018, 05:24 PM

damn! EricM night II we were sitting possibly a row or two behind you then!! Carl's side just off the floor ! not clear to the stage side seats but just a little bit further, about right before the halfway mark of the floor and it was extremely tight to the stage, just fucking perfect! It made sitting that night NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER. And my girlfriend got to enjoy that a lot and save her strength for the nYE night, which we saw from the floor.

Sorry DontGetUpset, I didn't mean to bully you or go after you like that...I just hate to have my Jacket giving their all and getting nothing in return for it.

Damn Lonn, that really would've sucked if we were that close and still didn't get together but we were in the section closest to the stage and it sounds like you were in the one to our right. Prime spots indeed, and glad Chelsea got to enjoy a great reserved seat for the night.  :beer:

"Where's Jim going?"

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Jan 14, 2018, 06:14 PM

Damn Lonn, that really would've sucked if we were that close and still didn't get together but we were in the section closest to the stage and it sounds like you were in the one to our right. Prime spots indeed, and glad Chelsea got to enjoy a great reserved seat for the night.  :beer:

daaaamn!!! either way, we were all there and we were getting our faces ripped off!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! Im still recovering!!!! listening to Lay Low from 12/31! Does anyone feel like it was rushed?

jttouch2

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jan 15, 2018, 02:31 PM
Quote from: ericm on Jan 14, 2018, 06:14 PM

daaaamn!!! either way, we were all there and we were getting our faces ripped off!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! Im still recovering!!!! listening to Lay Low from 12/31! Does anyone feel like it was rushed?
Considering the first half of the song is played mostly with a drum machine I don't know how it could be rushed (I guess just the ending solo section could be idk). I felt like Highly Suspicious was played slower than normal in the moment but it was still a wild one

Lonndown27

im meaning the parts with Pat playing, the last half mainly (my favorite part obviously)...

I just can't seem to lock on to the solo part and understand / deduce if it's a bad Lay Low, a middling one , or a fantastic one. In person, it was epic as all hell because, well, LAY LOW IS ALWAYS EPIC AS HELL, especially visually. I'm gonna revisit it with the Pat Myers footage. when Lay Low started being played, I felt like we were in store for about 7 more songs on NYE night, very weird it was third to last. Such an epic show and 3 night stand, though, JUST WANT MORE OF THESE GUYS ONSTAGE, AS HUMAN BEINGS, DOING WHAT THEY LOVE TO DO.

But first things first these doods need some chill time hahah

Lonndown27

Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 14, 2018, 12:15 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jan 13, 2018, 07:13 PM

Where and when?

^^Lawn?^^    I have been going to shows regularly for 40 years now. These were without any doubt, the best sounding shows I have ever heard. Regardless of indoors or out, size of venue, etc. The closest one to that pristine quality would probably be the Jayhawks at the Fonda about 2 years ago. They were relatively quiet and pristine, compared to Broomfield, which was thunder and pristine. I will admit, when I sat in the far back it sounded even better than sitting in the seats at the side, but, Hey, that's just physics..

....AND I FUCKING LOVE PHYSICS WHEN IN CONCERT WITH MMJ

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

heynow1

Thank you!!! i loved New Years! My husband and I have been Partying for so long. We have been concerting and taping for so long. We have seen so many shows,but no money  could pay for the thoughtful production like the First Bank. I know OBH was beautiful,but theres nothing like a venue that is comfortable and accepting like Colorado. We party hard and they loved it. Go to another Counrty you can't get that. The staff at First Bank took the smoke and jokes. That s America!
time is a stripper doin it just for you

Stevie

What's funny about all of this talk is that I was at all three Port Chester shows and i remember feeling let down with the setlists.  Yep.

Why? Because i had previously been at what i consider the best Jacket shows i have witnessed (Red Rocks 2012) and my expectations were through the roof.  It took quite a while for me to accept that it will hardly ever be like that. 

That said, even though the NYE run wasnt full of deep cuts they still blew me away. 

I feel bad for those who didnt enjoy it, i get it.